Bondi Vet, last nites episode

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

missllama

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
just wondering if anyone saw that show last night?

i am just wondering the breed of dog they showed i think its called a sharpee... it had to get surgery to remove sections of the eyelid etc so it could see more out of its eyes because of all its rolls n fat on the face etc

is this common with that breed? because i no they all look like that but i wasnt sure if its common for them to need surgery to make there eyes wider.

they also said putting it to sleep for the operation could cause it to die because it was only a few months old and young dogs cant always cope with such a strong hit to make them go under

i never knew that either...

at the end he was ok if anyone didnt see it, but yea i just wanted to no how common it is for that breed to need surgery

it's not too common that I've heard of, almost all have the problem of limited sight, but that one in particular had no sight in one eye and very little in the other.

yes it was a sharpee. i have heard of them having skin problems before. but that was a first seeing the eye problems.

its Shar Pei and the best way to avoid problems if your thinking of getting one is go to a reputable breeder not just a registered breeder, there is a difference imo

i dont own one but know someone involved in shar pei rescue and they do have a lot of problems with eyes and skin

Shar Pei's are fantastic dogs unfortunatly they come with a few genetic disorders that run in the blood so most of the time it cant be avoided unfortunatly, my Shar Pei was going to have surgery on her eyes and i decided to call the breeders we bought her of and he basically told us wait one or two months more before surgery we put in off and her eyes corrected its self she grew into her skin so that would have been unessicary surgey costing over a grand the amount we paid for her and atm she has a skin problem so she is on antibiotics and medicated shampoo and its improving everyday another problem these dogs typically have is they are the best type of thing if im walking her she will pass a smaller dog does nothing but a bigger dog then she goes off trying to bite it and what not but she always gets chomped in the end were currently in the market for a blue male shar pei if anyone has any for sale?

Shar Pei's are fantastic dogs unfortunatly they come with a few genetic disorders that run in the blood so most of the time it cant be avoided unfortunatly, my Shar Pei was going to have surgery on her eyes and i decided to call the breeders we bought her of and he basically told us wait one or two months more before surgery we put in off and her eyes corrected its self she grew into her skin so that would have been unessicary surgey costing over a grand the amount we paid for her and atm she has a skin problem so she is on antibiotics and medicated shampoo and its improving everyday another problem these dogs typically have is they are the best type of thing if im walking her she will pass a smaller dog does nothing but a bigger dog then she goes off trying to bite it and what not but she always gets chomped in the end were currently in the market for a blue male shar pei if anyone has any for sale?

Wow, okay first of all - BREATHE lol :lol:

You were right about he corrective surgery, but in the cases where you don't buy from a registered breeder, some don't grow into their skin - the resulting surgery is a suture placed above the eye to keep the rolls out of the way. It's common, but better to try and avoid it cause it get pretty expensive over time....

That guy is a sensationalist, drama queen douche bag - but yes, it is common with Shar Peis.. my mate got one and he needed surgery on his eyelids for entropion, surgery on his ear to open the canal and surgery on his upper respiratory tract so he could breathe through his nose... Tragic what people will do to an animal for a cute pet. They also get terrible skin complaints.

As for Python Blue, if your dog had entropion (where the eyes invert and the lashes and hair rub against the eyeball surface) and you waited two months for surgery you are a monster. I can't imagine the pain of having my eyelashes against my cornea for half an hour let alone two months.. Shudder.

As for Python Blue, if your dog had entropion (where the eyes invert and the lashes and hair rub against the eyeball surface) and you waited two months for surgery you are a monster. I can't imagine the pain of having my eyelashes against my cornea for half an hour let alone two months.. Shudder.[/QUOTE]

Hmm yeah i guess we were a monster but she was having soem sort of antibiotic cream in her eyes 4 times a day plus pain killers the vet prescribed for her and even the vet said its better to wait these sort of things out rather the have unneccisary surgery as this will put more stress on the dog and what not oh and by the way we didnt wait 2 whole months it was about 1 month before the skin on her face started to fit better and she is perfectly healthy no nothing wrong with her and im quite happy the way she turned out.

I have two Shar-pei's. They are beautiful dogs and I love them to bits! I got my two from a fantastic breeder. You've all probably seen one of her dogs, was on the Holden Astra add a while ago. Anyway my boy had a massive head and had no problems with his eyes. But my little girl was so rolly that the breeder had her eyes tacked up. The Vet just hooks up a roll of skin above and below her eye. They do this to help the rolls of skin to set in a better position and not push the eyes shut.
The tacks fell out early, my boy probably pulling them out (they play rough), and she got the entropian starting. it wasn't as bad as Mr Wilson on the show, so they just tacked them back up again. Once she grew into her skin better the skin sat perfectly on her head. I have attached photos of my two rat bags. First was when Nala was semi little, and then Riley is full grown, Nala was about half way. He is oversized for a shar-pei, and Nala is little.

I can say the only problem you will not be able to get away from, even with good breeding lines are ear problems. Sharp-pei's have tiny ears, and therefore really tiny ear canals. Both mine have had one bad ear infection. But with weekly cleaning you can keep on top of it. It just takes patience, cos they hate it

Attachments

• Riley&Nala.jpg
    Riley&Nala.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 101
  • Riley&Nala1.jpg
    Riley&Nala1.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 78
I saw a show not so long back, where in the US, they have so many health problems with them, a vet has opened up a surgery that only does that breed!!.... saying that, it was just a show, I have no experience with that breed at all, good nor bad.

Yeah, there was a stage when the breed was the most endagered dog breed in the world, about 1987 I think. So people in the states (mainly) decided to try and give it a helping hand. Some people were breeding whatever dogs they could get their hands on, a lot of dogs with genetic problems, and so the problems continue. They kind of got out of hand. But others have been trying more recently to breed out the problems. Breeders are a lot pickier now on what dogs they breed as the genetic disorders are more than just inperfections in the show ring. They affect the life of the dogs and I'm glad it's cleaned up a lot.

My dogs have had no skin problems, but I find a plain anti flea shampoo works the best on them and I've never had a problem with their skin! Every now and then I add a drop or 2 of lavender oil to make sure it doesn't dry out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back