newbie questions blonde spotty!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

discomat

Reaction score
hello all, I got a suprise python for my birthday a couple of days ago (thurs 2/04 - a 30 cm long male blonde spotty), and am just wondering how i treat/clean items i want to add to his enclosure ie - sticks/ branch, rocks etc to ensure they will not infect the little guy. I am aware of the 1-10 bleach rule, but does this include sticks and wood?

so background information = hatched on 11 nov 08 has had 2 sheds according to records (last one 29-01-09). so how often will he shed a juvinile? or does it occur at random intervals?

lastly he tends to hide in his warm place under his hide rock since i have gotten him, he becomes very lifely and freindly when once i take him out but he doesnt seem to explore his enclosure very much (enclosure only small, prob about 1ftX1/2 ft). Is this because he is not settled in yet?

looking forward to having some good discussions and recieving some handy advice from you all.

cheers - mat

he is a little hatchling so he will not want to come out a lot as he will feel threatened.
my hatchling childrens barely ever comes out. he is pure evil!! lol.
anyway as for treating the sticks and stuff, I've heard if you put them in the oven and bake them that kills germs, or boiling water and scrubbing them.
Shedding will be however much he gets fed as to how fast he grows. normally shedding ever 6 to 8 weeks for hatchlings is good cuz they grow faster than adults. although mine shed 3 times in 7 weeks once as she is a big piggie!! lol.
can't think of much else, any questions just ask

I get a tub as big as items, around 80% boiling water and 20% bleach.
Make sure itm is put completly under water for around 5mins then rinse with boiling water.
Also i use ultimate cage cleaner to wipe down befor i put into tank also use wipe out 3.

hey thanks for the great info guys. checked out your snakes amy they are awesome. i hope mine looks as good as cam when he's older ( he hasn't got a name yet - im working on it).

I dont use bleach anymore, with all sticks, rocks and branches i give them a good scrub, maybe soak in hot water for 30mins then i put them in the oven for an hour. Make sure they are dry before putting in enclosures =)

I have a 14month old blonde mac, she used to shed every 3-4 weeks when she was a hatchy, what is your snake eating?

If youve only had her for a couple of days, she will probably not come out, and you shouldnt handle her until she has settled. Usually a week or two

Hope this helps

Yup..oven is best way to kill pests....just 80 deg C for 45 min or so depending on the thickness of the item.
I use Euca mulch in my enclosures and always treat it this way. I've never had a pest pop its ugly head up after

he is eating pinky's atm. ok i will throw them in the oven thanks for the specific temps and times shaggymelb!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back