Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i hate shovels.

i refuse to give an ID for any person who has killed a snake or other herp deliberately no matter the reason.

nuff said.

Nat ;) x

omfg ur slack did it cross ur mind to JUMP over it or were u just thinkin "oh this shovel will kill it... it might be fun". and then want to take pictures of it
*********g b****

Its very clear most people have never seen an agitated slatey grey
One of the most beautiful snakes in Aus but with a very bad attitude
I have moved hundreds of them and cannot remember one that did not try to strike repeatedly [most other species just pretend]
They are too small to do any lasting damage but strike continually
If you ever get sprayed by one you throw the clothes away

remind me to wear my fire retardant vest before asking a question or making a mistake...

I just hope you put it out of its misery as it still looks alive in the photos you took.

Please take notice of all the advice for next time. I have stumbled across a few snakes while walking around my hometown, and had a few close calls with stepping on them. Stand still and they will just slither away.

The poor snake shouldnt pay :(

I wonder what the odds would have been that if it didnt get the shovel it wouldve ate a cane toad and died anyway?

People have a fear of snakes, implanted in them by their parents. This sort of thing is always going to happen unless more people give their kids snake education.

i was bought up by hick parents who cut snakes up, I somehow am different :) I am fascinated with them, I had a dugite chargeonce , it was only a juvi, just stood still, and talked to myself it slithered away, people dont realise they are more afraid of us than us of them

Yeah my folks are snake kill crazy. Im different cos i got dragged across the countryside visiting people and one of those was a guy we formally called "snake man"
He had crocs in his pool, bath sinks etc, snakes, snake enclosures and snakes in bage -everywhere- and load of lizards and turtles...
I remember for a while he also had fox pups. They were awesome.

In all serious, if you are that afraid of snakes perhaps where you are living now isn't the place for you.

In all serious, if you are that afraid of snakes perhaps where you are living now isn't the place for you.

The same could be said about spiders, and yet how many native spiders have we all killed without thinking twice?

I can understand people's general fear (as I have a spider phobia fear that can be really bad )

so when dealing with fear and not understanding the situation ,you can act in a way that you justify is suitable for the moment ... if you do not know about the behaviour of snakes ,then you will find any movement that seems like it is going to be a threatening one ,your instinct is to protect yourself ..or your child or pet
..the problem with most snake encounters is ..if you bothered to give the snake time to move on ,or watched it and rang a catcher to come and get it ,you would certainly see you've over reacted
..especially when in alot of cases it turns out to be a non invasive species...
composing yourself and not panicking ,has a better outcome for not only you and your family, but the snake in question .
alot of snakes will do mock strikes ,this is a defense reaction ,no different then you grabbing a shovel or something else to arm yourself with
..if they could beat you with a shovel they probably would ..
the risk factors of trying to kill the likes of some species ,far out rates the initial first encounter ..
.you put yourself in a serious position of getting bitten yourself so why do this ?.
.standing still if in a 3 foot interaction of the snake, is your best bet ...
if you have someone at home with you ,get them to ring for help ,hence a snake catcher,
or if your by yourself and the snake doesnt seem to move on .
.take a small step back watching the whole time for any type of reaction ,if none is given then repeat ,if you do get a reaction stand it out for a few more minutes and try again one at a time ...
snakes in the yard can be moved on by a garden hose, no need to get too close ,put it on direct spray and aim at the head ...FORGET THE SHOVEL unless you plan on digging yourself a hole ..

I dont understand, I get a lot of snakes at my place for some random reason, but have never had a single one have a go at me, they usually bolt to get away, and not just pythons,

I dont want to have a go, but couldnt you have backed up?
cant change it anyways =o(

i kno im a bit late to say this but couldnt u have just scooped it up and chucked it in the bush or maybe call RSPCA

where did verandah come from? clearly says balcony, we have a similar one at our house. imagine if lister didnt ask for advice afraid you would all slam him/her for it, and they would continue to shovel every snake. good on you for asking Lister.

Heaps of people kill snakes, at least somone is trying to make an informed decision.
Quite frankly when someone is asking for help i personally (if i had any worthwhile snake knowledge) like to dismount my high horse. thats just me.

You havent been here long enough to understand the APS way..........Bag the crap out of people trying to ask for help and make them leave the site or too scared to ask anymore questions. This is exactly why i dont come on here much anymore, there are other places willing to help out.

omfg ur slack did it cross ur mind to JUMP over it or were u just thinkin "oh this shovel will kill it... it might be fun". and then want to take pictures of it
*********g b****

Yet another hero who has never made a mistake in their life......Grow up idiot they never said ONCE that they did it for fun.

Its a shame the snake had to die but atleast they are checking to make sure they dont make the same mistake again.

Its very clear most people have never seen an agitated slatey grey
One of the most beautiful snakes in Aus but with a very bad attitude
I have moved hundreds of them and cannot remember one that did not try to strike repeatedly [most other species just pretend]
They are too small to do any lasting damage but strike continually
If you ever get sprayed by one you throw the clothes away

I have owned Slatey's myself, they are firey individuals & agree totally with this post.
But that is absolutely no reason to kill them.
There is absolutely no need to have killed it with a shovel or anything else.
Did you even think to keep retreating once you reached your shovel?
The size you quote doesn't add up, nor does a lot of things. Too many holes in your fabricated story.
If you had of put enough distance between you & the snake it would have gone away of it's own accord, instead you chose to be a hero.
Problem is on this site, you are now & always will be a zero!

Attachments

• Slatey 5.jpg
    Slatey 5.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 35
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back