ID Please - What is this?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chillsandfevers

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I caught this little fellow in the kitchen this morning, we have had lots of noise in the roof and trees outside throughout the nights, and thought we may have possums so set the cage and got this little guy.

Any ideas what he is???

3422551756_1260f676b7.jpg

Looks like a juvenile rat to me - where abouts do you live? It may be a native animal but I couldn't help you ID it if it is.

got any better pics?

could be a brown antechinus but they have large crinkly ears, a long pointy head with bulging eyes & a sparsley hairy tail that is the same length as the body or a bit shorter.

I'll get a better pic, big possum eyes, large rounded ears and very long tail.

Black rat, Rattus rattus

I second that. 100% it is a rat, and I'm 95% sure its a black rat. The long tail is the give away for me.

Unless you you meant the other thing - I think that was a chicken. ;)

Little bugger is too quick, I can't get a decent photo..

It has a white belly, pink feet and toes, and the back legs are large in comparison to the body with really long back feet (much bigger than the average rat or mouse back feet)

It is extremely active, hangs upside down and gets on it's hind legs with the front feet up like paws?

Thanks for your input. I will still keep trying for a better pic.

Sorry guys, this one will not be snake food, I will release it in the bush later today.

looks like the native rat to me too,we had a plague of them little buggers ...as you cant use poison on natives ...I used mother nature in a long form with a healthy appetite..moved a few long forms from the shed down to the house ,lots of commotion for a few nights then SILENCE ..mother nature is great:)

Little bugger is too quick, I can't get a decent photo..

It has a white belly, pink feet and toes, and the back legs are large in comparison to the body with really long back feet (much bigger than the average rat or mouse back feet)

It is extremely active, hangs upside down and gets on it's hind legs with the front feet up like paws?

Thanks for your input. I will still keep trying for a better pic.

Sorry guys, this one will not be snake food, I will release it in the bush later today.

yes, native rat, antechinus are brown all over.

Awwww

it's so cute, aww send him to me... that's proberly why hubby says i'm not allowed to keep live mice or rats.. they'd all be pets and id still be buying frozen ones as well..lol but he is a cute little fella

fuscipes has brown underneath their feet

Looks like a Black Rat to me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back