Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The knockers and the critics of Wildexpo seem to have NO IDEA of the complexities and the costs of running an event like this. Most of the 10,000 or so people that come through the door do not have a reptile license and therefore will not be buying a herp. I could clearly see at the previous expos that the event is about promoting care of our fauna and inspiring more and more people to get into the hobby. Ultimately making more customers for the "big-guys" of the hobby.

There is no doubt that the Wild Expo is the best single event in Australia for promoting our hobby, utizing a blend of commercial sponsors and the tireless efforts of the volunteer team. I doubt that anyone gains much financially on the day but it does result in the continued expansion of the hobby and wareness of the reptile community. To all those who say they can do it better,well do it; but not at the expense of Wild expo. There's room for more expos and shows to raise wareness of the hobby. If the hobby doesn,t keep growing we will drown in the thousands of hatchlings being bred each year.

770 a table!:eek:
That's ridiculous, and I agree with all the points' everyone has made.
It makes no sense to me at all...they seem to be discouraging breeders, which is going to have a defenite negative impact on their own show.
But business is business right?:S
Ben.

• Friday night dinner and guest speaker?
  • Saturday night BBQ?
  • Kids shows, dancers and singers etc?
  • reptile shows
  • Large variety of herp displays, other than breeders show.
  • Robocroc...etc
all these run at a loss.....why shouldn't the organisers at least break even with the costs of the booths going directly back into the promotion of both our native wildlife and the herp community.....for the cost of 3 childrens pythons........

I know I will be there 2 weeks before (yes it takes that long) setting up the expo, along with a lot of other passionate people giving up their own time after work and on days off, and all the volunteers over the 3 days giving up their time to talk to people about the animals, the environment and the keeping of these animals.

Is it all about the money for the 'big' breeders not turning up this year? I would hope this wasn't the case....

SEE YOU THERE!!!:D:D:D

I thought that there was an entry fee and the dinner was charged for? If it runs at a loss shouldn't the price be adjusted? Why should the small breeders have to subsidise this? I understand these attractions increase numbers but it's not a charity for the tyre kickers.

I thought that there was an entry fee and the dinner was charged for? If it runs at a loss shouldn't the price be adjusted? Why should the small breeders have to subsidise this? I understand these attractions increase numbers but it's not a charity for the tyre kickers.

Do the small breeders subsidise it? I read the general thrust of the tread is that many breeders dont, nor want to subsidise anything. That being said the majority of volunteers are small breeder and willing give to publicise the hobby. At SOFAR, at Newcastle which is totally volunteer and gets about the same entry though the gate on a per day basis as Wildexpo, prizes are offerred to vounteers. I know wil;d expo does a similiar thing with entry costs and food for volunteers.
Interestingly some people look at what they can get out of the show and others at what they can put in.

Do the small breeders subsidise it? I read the general thrust of the tread is that many breeders dont, nor want to subsidise anything. That being said the majority of volunteers are small breeder and willing give to publicise the hobby. At SOFAR, at Newcastle which is totally volunteer and gets about the same entry though the gate on a per day basis as Wildexpo, prizes are offerred to vounteers. I know wil;d expo does a similiar thing with entry costs and food for volunteers.
Interestingly some people look at what they can get out of the show and others at what they can put in.

Paying 770 per table sounds like they are subsidising something

whos little joe blow down the road ? he hasnt said a thing . he hasnt come forward to say .. hey my name is joe blow down the road mr ANTHONY .. i got 2 blue tounges for sale and a bearded dragon can i get a stall for $20.. no the people that arnt happy to pay are a few of the bigger breeders the ones that have been in the game for years . when i was 18 hanging out with my mates we would be walking down the street to the night club saying .better hurry up they arnt going to start without us . we knew this was not true . but acted like it was all about us . some people in this industry think this party is about them.. it aint going to be as good without them . surly this isnt the case . dont turn up and you will slowly get phased out before your time ...

i think the price of tables should structured on how many animals you have times their price? so little joe down the road with the beardeds only gets charged 5% of what he makes then mr i breed rsp's and gtp's gets charged 5% of what he makes.Sounds fair to me...

There is no doubt that the Wild Expo is the best single event in Australia for promoting our hobby, utizing a blend of commercial sponsors and the tireless efforts of the volunteer team. I doubt that anyone gains much financially on the day but it does result in the continued expansion of the hobby and wareness of the reptile community. To all those who say they can do it better,well do it; but not at the expense of Wild expo. There's room for more expos and shows to raise wareness of the hobby. If the hobby doesn,t keep growing we will drown in the thousands of hatchlings being bred each year.

This depends on prices and how many hatchies you breed per year.
Wont effect little me at all...............I'm not a business............:lol::lol:

On the expo, its the best around - No doubt.

how many reptiles can you stick to a table? i probally would suggest a few of you double up to save money if thats the issue..

I have volunteered at the last two MacHerps shows and was out at Castle Hill all three days last year.

As far as 'display' animals, they are absolutely designed to draw the crowds, however, it is certainly clear to myself and I would imagine MANY others that whether people are actualling planning on purchasing or in a position to purchase animals at the Expo the sales displays draw AT LEAST as much attention from passersby as the intended displays...

I think it would be a shame to reduce the number of sales tables at the show by pricing them out of the reach of the smaller breeders...

I certainly agree that the shows primary goal should not be to provide a sales forum, however, animals for sale provide interest to hobbyists and your general joe public, if you reduce the animals for sale you reduce the interest, reduce the interest and reduce your profit...

I also think that the 'specials' on offer will be less enticing with a lack of competition - again, specials are a MAJOR drawcard for hobbyists...

Ultimately, either way I will be attending and am positive I will have a great day (or more) out, I personally think that Wild Expo run the risk of shooting themselves in the foot with these prices though. There is no doubt that they are the standout show, and absolutely no doubt that EVERYONE enjoys themselves (hobbyists and non-herpers alike) I would think that their reputation for providing what they have over the last few years will keep the numbers growing and that reducing the animals at the show may be counter productive...

these breeders that have said their not going this year cause of the price of a table ($770) need to learn that this type of expo isnt just about sales on the day, its about advertising your name and product for the whole year till the next expo where you do it all over again. its a shame that these big breeders wont be there. reports have that one of these breeders took $18k at last years expo and wont pay $770 this year. i really dont think these breeders will stop this expo being an even bigger success than it was last year.

Funcouple, I'd hesistate to draw any assumptions based on the usual herp hobby "reports". While it may be true that someone has done what you've heard, I wouldn't take it as fact unless I'd heard it straight from the horse's mouth. As for their contribution to the success of the day; correct me if I'm wrong but one would think that $18,000 worth of takings can be considered a success - if it actually happened.

As for the prices, I don't really know how you could begin to speculate on how much table fees should be without knowing what the outlay for the event has been. I do agree that it's a price far and above what the average kid with his $50 beardies could afford, and it's a shame that there will be people in that situation who will miss out. Maybe after this year's issues the organisers will take people's suggestions on board and try to (as they have begun to) find a way to provide space for the "little guy".

The idea of a mean's tested fee would work in a Utopian herp society....but really, how can it be policed to keep things fair without becoming extremely invasive? Tell me that there wouldn't be people kicking up a stink if they had to keep records for the organisers to go over at the end of the day! And what chance would there be of everyone being completely honest about it?

With regards to the big breeders balking at the stand prices, to be honest I'm a little confused. I can totally see where little Johnny and his 2 maccie hatchlings will feel the pinch; however, if I were already making a decent trade out of selling reptiles then I think the idea of spending $770 on some damn good advertising such as the expo would be a justifiable business expense. Obviously I'd be a bit ticked off if at the end of the day I'd only sold a couple of snakes. But again - you're still getting your name out there and your product is being seen.

Is it just me or is this kind of going around in circles?
People kicked up a stink at the $770 so Anthony spent yesterday accommodating the "smaller" breeders. The price for a booth is $300. It's a fair price and lets hope people with excess animals support the initiative. So who will be getting one of the $300 tables?

yeh its going around in a circle . it could also look a bit odd now with the reduced price tables . and if someone turns up with like $ 200,000 worth of reptiles forsale in the budget table spots. might make them look like a bit of a tight *** . knowing they should of paid full price .........hope that dont happen when everyone wants little johnny, joe blow .and his mate john citizen there . :D

Yes guys, give it a rest. I started this thread due to the high prices being asked of the smaller breeders. The organisors have responded to the public backlash by lowering the price to $300. Fantastic. The debate is now mute.

As for those claiming great advertising for breeders being there, I seem to remember last year all advertising had to be removed by order of Mark and Anthony. There was little to no advertising at all. That side of the debate is also mute.

I hope everyone will turn up as I am sure they will have a great time there. Hopefully now most of the smaller breeders will turn up as well at this more reasonable pricing. Again , good on the organisors for a great decission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back