Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So the opinion made by the VET should have been ignored? Ahh.. Rightio.. Lesson to all our not so experienced herpers. In the event of illness take your Reptile to the VET, but ignore what they say if their report states anything that isnt 100% proven!

Are we all forgetting that the conclusion was made by DR DAVID VELLA BSc BVSc (Hons)
and not by the buyer?

I didn't say we should ignore it, but we need to understand what it means. If I can overheat a snake, kill it, take it to a vet and the vet will say it is 100% consistent with OPMV, and that diagnosis is going to cause everyone to accuse the seller of having OPMV through his whole collection, where does that leave us?

We shouldn't ignore it. No one said that, I certainly didn't. It is, however, important that we don't confuse "consistent" with "actual". As I said, just about every snake, including perfectly healthy ones, are 100% consistent with OPMV. That includes all of your animals.

Plenty of people with letters after their names get things wrong and in some cases deliberately. I have letters after my name too. So what?

The reptile community being what it is, rumours are going to fly around quietly behind the scenes unless it is brought into the public, openly. If the actual people involved post publicly, it (mostly) stops the rumour mill from changing the story. This is why the accused parties would want it public after the rumours have started.

The other side would (rightly or wrongly) want it public so that people could be warned not to purchase anything. If it actually was OPMV, this would be a good thing.

Either way, making it public and open is better than everyone finding out by rumour.

I do agree that if this does turn out to be correct & it is ompv it should be made public
to warn others of a possible risk/outbreak of the virus.

I don't agree however with the way this thread has been made..the buyer is being discredited before even having had a chance to speak. (Which is just as bad as a buyer *without all the facts* making an issue public about a seller)

Lets not forget that the buyer in question did not go public about this & was merely
speaking with other people privately about the matter...
I personally don't see that as slanderous.
If I were faced with a similar situation I would most likely do the same.

In my opinion this thread is just about gossip & hear say I really hope the buyer can put their
"2 cents" in because at this point in time the thread *seems* very one sided jmo...

Last edited:
I didn't say we should ignore it, but we need to understand what it means. If I can overheat a snake, kill it, take it to a vet and the vet will say it is 100% consistent with OPMV, and that diagnosis is going to cause everyone to accuse the seller of having OPMV through his whole collection, where does that leave us?

We shouldn't ignore it. No one said that, I certainly didn't. It is, however, important that we don't confuse "consistent" with "actual". As I said, just about every snake, including perfectly healthy ones, are 100% consistent with OPMV. That includes all of your animals.

Plenty of people with letters after their names get things wrong and in some cases deliberately. I have letters after my name too. So what?

Actually I think you'll find its a case of the seller and his mate attempting to publically discredit the buyers comments made in private to people he regularly interacted with. As far as Im aware no one has said its 100% OPMV.

Good to see that you are taking the report with some seriousness. Pilbarapythons sure isnt as he stated that it has as much validity as it would if his grandmother wrote it.

Medically there is rarely "actuals". Ussually incidents happen which are consistant with an illness.

Few years back I had a hernia operation. Report states that my symptom's were consistant with a hernia. Few weeks back my mother had an allergic reaction to a tablet and her report states that her symptoms were consistant with anaphylaxis. Are you suggesting that actions shouldnt have been taken to rectify the situation simply because it wasnt 100% proven? Its not the way the world works buddy.

Your joking about the name part right? Go look up what these letters mean and then tell me again how irelevent they are.

In my opinion this thread is just about gossip & hear say I really hope the buyer can put their
"2 cents" in because at this point in time the thread *seems* very one sided jmo...

itbites, The most ironic part is that even the seller hasnt had a chance to put their 2 cents in!

Oh and just further to the anaphylaxis example. She hasnt seen a written report stating as such yet because anaphylaxis symptoms can be so many other things. Doesnt change the fact that because the doctor stated "Your symptoms are consistant with an anayphylaxic allergy to penicillin" she no longe takes penicillin. Do you see where your arguement is flawed Pilbarapythons?

Oh I get it now, you've seen the report! Up until now I'd made the mistake of thinking this whole thing was heresay.

Your logic would be spot on Eyelandt if tere had never been any case of someone being told their symptoms were consistent with something that wasn't what they actually had. I was told my son's reaction to his tetanus booster was consistent with the normal reaction after a shot like that. I was told this by someone with letters after their name. The doctor who saw him the next day said he was in fact having an allergic reaction and that if I'd listened to the first diagnosis and had let my son have another booster later on down the track he'd have died.

I do agree that if this does turn out to be correct & it is ompv it should be made public
to warn others of a possible risk/outbreak of the virus.

I don't agree however with the way this thread has been made..the buyer is being discredited before even having had a chance to speak. (Which is just as bad as a buyer *without all the facts* making an issue public about a seller)

Lets not forget that the buyer in question did not go public about this & was merely
speaking with other people privately about the matter...
I personally don't see that as slanderous.
If I were faced with a similar situation I would most likely do the same.

Oh no, I agree with you :)

Yes the buyer did not go public he merely PMed a friend. It is the seller (or sellers partner) that went public. If Dave didnt make this thread then it would have remained private and been solved in an appropriate manner without damaging anyone. Too late now.

This thread should stop and the buyer and seller allowed to work things out ... in private.

Oh I get it now, you've seen the report! Up until now I'd made the mistake of thinking this whole thing was heresay.

Has anybody? Doesnt change the fact that a claim was made and preventative actions should be made until more information is at hand.

I think this thread should be shut and only left open to be able to post in by the seller and the buyer, as they are the only two people that really have any facts about the sale, the purchase and the vet report.

Everything else is just chinese whispers until they step forward.

Thread shouldnt exist at all in my opinion. Only public defamation thats been made is by Pilbarapythons in relation to a situation that has nothing to do with them. Should have all been kept private like it has been up until now.

Eyelandt....I haven't said a word about whether or not preventative actions should be taken. Not one. I also haven't come on here and insisted that the word of the vet be taken when we don't even know if the vet in question has said a word. I could tell you that Kevin Rudd told me he was actually Imelda Marcos. Doens't make it true.

Eyelandt....I haven't said a word about whether or not preventative actions should be taken. Not one. I also haven't come on here and insisted that the word of the vet be taken when we don't even know if the vet in question has said a word. I could tell you that Kevin Rudd told me he was actually Imelda Marcos. Doens't make it true.

Kersten my honest opinion is that the Reptile probably doesnt have OPMV. Im not suggesting that what the VET stated is absolute fact. My beef is that Im currently looking for a pair of stimsons and I could have spent money on a pair that could possibly be connected to OPMV.

As I stated previously, all sales should be temporarily suspended (Ive heard that the seller should have a copy of the report next wednesday), people that have purchased from the clutch be notified and the seller get in touch with the VET rather then having his friends come on here in an aatempt to belittle the buyer.

Codered
I agree with you in that facts are indisputable otherwise they wouldn’t be facts in the first place.
Thanks for your PM because you have established a few points already,
1 being, that you did not see the reptiles yourself and 2 being, that the vet report did say consistent with OPMV not confirmed OPMV.
Your information does invite a few more questions i.e. what was the time period between receiving the reptiles and the vet externally examining the 2 other live Stimsons ?
I don’t expect you to know the answer to this so I guess we will find out more when your buddy gets back from his break.

I respect your desire to not get into a slanging match here on a forum however this was not ever my intention either regardless if that was somewhat naive.

Off note, a wild caught Pilbara Olive python last year was supplied (by the D.E.C) to the Naturalist Reptile Park south of Perth that was perfectly healthy but died a day later, you guessed it, the vets report were symptoms consistent with OPMV. It actually turned out that AAE left the snake in the sun and cooked it, go figure.

Eylandt
You have either not bothered to read my posts correctly, or you simply sniffed petrol when you were much younger.
You post the very obvious as if you truly believe we know all the facts (including which vet was involved) in the first place. Perhaps I could suggest a more careful attention span before tapping the computer keys with self evaluated misconceptions.
When we have a few facts and yes, we now have a few, Luke will take any appropriate actions that he deems to be the right thing.

To the punters
In my opinion OPMV and the public accountability for such should be every reptile keepers business if they are interested in the first place, this is not the reason however I started this thread. Read my fist post to no why if you can be bothered.
On the positive, discussions like this in part, rein enforce the ramifications many of us face (or will face) with this ugly virus and this helps combat complacency.

just so you all dont think im hinding, the buyer did say to me on the phone thursday night that he would not go public an tell anyone an he did say to me that the vet said it was 100% OMPV an i told him i need all the reports an everythink else from the vet, so i can have a chance to have it look at by another reptile vet.

if it proves to be true an i do have OMPV in my collection i will take all the right steps to deal with it, i mean i will euthanis all my animals an destroy all cages an equipment, which i believe is the right thing to do by the animals an the reptile keeping hobby in australia an will track down the sauce of where it came from an make that person name public so nobody else has to go through this.

as none of my adult animals have ever show any sign of sickness an i've never had one die on me in the 7yrs i've been keeping reptiles for, i dont see how it could be OMPV that is killing these hatchling an yes i did get hit by a bad heat wave an loss some hatchling animals to the heat wave .

Eylandt
You have either not bothered to read my posts correctly, or you simply sniffed petrol when you were much younger.
You post the very obvious as if you truly believe we know all the facts (including which vet was involved) in the first place. Perhaps I could suggest a more careful attention span before tapping the computer keys with self evaluated misconceptions.
When we have a few facts and yes, we now have a few, Luke will take any appropriate actions that he deems to be the right thing.

Ah.. more attempts to belittle others. Mate, Im not the one who is disregarding a VET report. Your comments on here do nothing more then display your character and you have no one but yourself to blame for that. Of course the $140 report wouldnt be "confirmed" OPMV but it doesnt make it null and void.

You keep slandering people on here while advertising those pythons on your website, at least the public will be aware that you have no regard for medical reports nor do you have any concerns for the safety and well being of the animals.

Will keep watching this thread in hope that eventually somebody who is actually involved in the situation posts, until then.. Keep Dribbling Pilbarapythons.

I agree with some people, that vthis should be shut and resumed privetly with the buyer and seller.

Will

I strongly agree with Neil.
Spreading rumours in this nature is not what aps like to support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back