Anyone keep native fish?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sooty grunter, redclaw, empire gudgeons, rainbowfish, native shrimp and pacific blue eyes. Have also had eel tailed cats, jungle perch, mangrove jack plus a heap of saltwater natives.
Spangles perch aren't the most friendly tank inhabitants, although better by far than sooties. Sooties will kill a jack or barra more than twice their size.
Here's a nice snakehead

Oh man, check out those colours!!!! Great looking fish Magpie, is that a wild fish, or in a pond? Never seen one coloured up like that!!

Awesome to see a lot of like minded people! Go the Aussie natives!! Keep those comments coming!! Would love to see some pics of anyones fish too.

Hey Coz666 & Tsubakai, do you keep the scats & the puffer in a community tank? If so, do you have probs with them nipping fins of other fish??

If anyone knows where I can get a decent size sleepy cod in the Sydney metro area, please let me know, haven't seen them on sale for ages & want to replace the one I lost recently. Watching it stalk & smash feeder fish (barbs) was awesome!

My scats are in with the mudskipper and all get along fine. The puffer is on his own cause he was only small when I got him and I don't trust him not to nip fins.

Lungfish have so much character, definitely a top fish.
They also love coming up to feed from your hand :p

How big is yours?

They are definitly an awesome fish, and something people don't see everyday. He is always welcoming me when I come home from work and swims around waiting for a feed. He is about 40cm now

Here are some pics of him taken a while ago...I'll have to update soon.

Attachments

• P6290098.jpg
    P6290098.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 165
  • P6300049.jpg
    P6300049.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 168
Nice lung fish!

I use to keep 2 Eel Tailed catfish and they definatly had character too;

Anyone know where you can get a lung fish in Adelaide area ?

Nice lung fish!

I use to keep 2 Eel Tailed catfish and they definatly had character too;

Anyone know where you can get a lung fish in Adelaide area ?

You'd be best to talk to Gordon from Ceratodus.com. He is the only breeder in the world and any legally kept specimen has been supplied from him. he has also bred a batch of leucistic lungfish, definitly something I will be getting in the future when the price comes down.

Eel tails are great! I had a couple, but sold one because he was getting too aggressive in my community tank. They are full of character. I found a good pic of when my two were still little fighting over an earth worm.

Attachments

• P1020689.jpg
    P1020689.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 189
Great pic Obsessive, natives love their worms eh? My female Empire especially looks funny after grabbing a large worm, swimming around with a "wriggly cigar" haha. My salmon tail cat hoovers up any leftovers (if any). Awesome lungy too, by the way!

Great pic Obsessive, natives love their worms eh? My female Empire especially looks funny after grabbing a large worm, swimming around with a "wriggly cigar" haha. My salmon tail cat hoovers up any leftovers (if any). Awesome lungy too, by the way!

Thanks... I'm usually quite bad at taking pics but I do manage to have the rare good photo come around.

I lost both my salmon tail cats a few months back :( They were about a foot long each and they would ahnialate worms.

I just emailed Ceratodus to see if I can get my hands on a leucistic lung fish. The first one, Sowy went for 10k. Hopefully I can get one a bit cheaper.

I keep flat-headed gudgeons, rainbow fish, fire something gudgeons, shrimp and jolly tails.

Is there any natives that would go in a tank that is 120cmx35cmx45cm? (LxHxW)

Daniel

Thanks... I'm usually quite bad at taking pics but I do manage to have the rare good photo come around.

I lost both my salmon tail cats a few months back :( They were about a foot long each and they would ahnialate worms.

I just emailed Ceratodus to see if I can get my hands on a leucistic lung fish. The first one, Sowy went for 10k. Hopefully I can get one a bit cheaper.

Yeah, I went & looked at the Ceratodas site after reading your post, saw the pics of snowy. Didn't realise they'd be that exe, do you mind me asking how much your lungfish was?

I keep flat-headed gudgeons, rainbow fish, fire something gudgeons, shrimp and jolly tails.

Is there any natives that would go in a tank that is 120cmx35cmx45cm? (LxHxW)

Daniel

My tank is a 4ft tank (same size as yours), community tank with various size fish in it. The snakehead & salmon tail I have (& sleepy cod & eel tail cats I've had) range/d from about 15-25cm & seem to do OK. If I was to have a few larger fish I'd probably want a bit bigger tank, especially considering other fish in there that don't get that big (empire gudgeon, rainbows etc)

Yeah, I went & looked at the Ceratodas site after reading your post, saw the pics of snowy. Didn't realise they'd be that exe, do you mind me asking how much your lungfish was?

My lung was $550, that was a normal one and definitly worth it. I'm still waiting on a reply for a price on a snowy.

imalizard, some rhendals or golden eel tails would suit a tank that size, they don't grow as large as the tandanus and aren't aggressive either. You can also go with some blue eyes and hardy heads and purple spotted gudgeons,

You don't want a couple more do you Australia09? I have two over a foot long each Iam trying to get rid of.

haha, just stock the rivers :p ah jokin could you imagie the fisheries goig off :S
were growing ours for the table :)

Here is my cod. This is a video of him taking a grasshopper off the surface.

[video=youtube;pdGfR4tK0eg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdGfR4tK0eg&feature=channel_page[/video]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back