Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

redbellybite

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
Townsville snake catcher "Gavin Kriesel" identified the reptile as a yellow-bellied black snake, commonly referred to as a tree snake. :shock::shock::shock:....Thinks either the media got mixed up or the catcher is really confused....People there is no such thing as "yellow-bellied black snakes".(it was in the Townsville Bulletin) about a GTS that regurged a GTF and it was caught on video...lucky frog he went all the way down to his feet and came out live and hopped away ...;)

"experienced" catchers should not use "yellow bellied black snake", not only is it wrong, but by its association with the RBB Snake people assume its venomous and are more likely to try and kill it!

lol... "snakecatcher" and "Yellow Bellied Black Snake" shouldn't be in the same sentence.

Attachments

• ybb.jpg
    ybb.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 165
I don't know that I'd be so quick to assume that's what he's said if it's only in print media. Nearly every time Kris and other people we know have been interviewed for a newspaper there's been at least one glaring difference from what was actually said.

Well that was my point saratoga ...can understand if some of the locals claim it as that, but as a catcher you would think he would set them straight as to what its actually called.(common name that is )
Alot of people call the BTS a dolls eye or night tiger (which frightens alot as they think TIGERSNAKE!)
so if I am called out to a job and they are calling it that ,I just tell them its a brown tree snake and half the time they say "oh is that all it is" because they have heard of brown tree snakes ,but didnt realise that night tigers or dolls eyes are the same snake.

I can pretty much guarantee that is was rubbish reporting on the bulletins part, they are well known for it, and Gavin is one of the few 'snake catchers' in Townsville I would give any credit too.

I don't know that I'd be so quick to assume that's what he's said if it's only in print media. Nearly every time Kris and other people we know have been interviewed for a newspaper there's been at least one glaring difference from what was actually said.
yeah kerstan ,like I said either the media has it mixed up or the catcher is really confused...I am leaning towards the media stuff up ...it should have said Identified as a green tree snake but commonly called a yellow-bellied black snake...
Although down here in these parts of QLD its not commonly called that ...

I've heard water pythons are called that. Naturally by people who are clueless would be the ones using the term, but that's where I've heard it in reference to a snake.

Yes the Bulletin is a wonderful news service, completely devoid of sensationalism... Don't forget last year the bloke who had a "brown" snake "attacking" him and his family so he hurled it in front of an oncoming truck. And here was this hero holding up a squashed water python on the front page, and acting every bit the hero!

could have been true.....maybe a butlers or copperhead on holiday ;)

The only reason I buy the Townsville Bulletin is to have something to line the floor of my bird cages with. I know for a fact that Gavin was misquoted in that article. I personally refuse to talk to reporters from that rag if requested by my workplace as they only half listen and do not report accurately.

Gavin is a highly respected and very knowledgeable man with lots of experience.

Just because any newspaper allegedly quotes someone doesn't mean they were the words said by that person.

I'd be on Gavin's side on this one, I'm sure he knows he caught a GTS

Townsville snake catcher "Gavin Kriesel" identified the reptile as a yellow-bellied black snake, commonly referred to as a tree snake. :shock::shock::shock:....Thinks either the media got mixed up or the catcher is really confused....People there is no such thing as "yellow-bellied black snakes".(it was in the Townsville Bulletin) about a GTS that regurged a GTF and it was caught on video...lucky frog he went all the way down to his feet and came out live and hopped away ...;)

I wish you ppl could come to one of our FAWNA meetings. I made myself look stupid trying to convince them there is no such thing as a yellow bellied black snake. I didn't try very hard though, I tend to cower when ppl yell or glare at me :oops: I was out numbered against the ppl who have seen them. When I suggested a GTS - I have seen very dark tree snakes here, with beautiful yellow bellies - one person got a bit shirty and said she knows what she's talking about.

So I wonder what it is, if I ever get a call out (hoping I will) I am going to bring him home for a photo shoot before I release him. I have a escape proof, ven-designed tank here so I don't have to handle and stress them out.

So RBB, the yellow bellies are here, too. What are they :) And Saratoga has a strong point. Anything that sounds like "blacksnake" will be killed by ppl who don't know or want to know.

A lecturer at the last reptile course I attended with FAWNA, claims yellow belly blacks are copperheads. But copperheads aren't found in our area and our other members seem to believe that their yellow bellies are definitely not tree snakes.

Last edited:
I've heard water pythons are called that. Naturally by people who are clueless would be the ones using the term, but that's where I've heard it in reference to a snake.

Yeah there are still too many out there who are stuck in their grandparents ways, not interested or not accessible to education.

Did you know that in NT, water pythons can be mistaken for king browns? Well thats what my book says. Am reading a book called "Snakes A natural history" by Richard Shine. He shows a photo of a king brown snake very similar colour to the water python and was quite a big snake. HE says when ever they tend to water pythons they have to make sure they observe and identify it correctly before handling it like a python.

Sorry RBB, hijacked your thread there. Back to the yellow bellies :p

Tis ok Kath ...not much you can do ...find it very amusing though that at a FAWNA meeting you would be battling against people that claim that ...dont have much confidence in some of those wildlife carers or catchers if they are claiming that notion ...."yellow bellied-black snakes " go under the "yowie" theory :)

IMO it makes as much sense to call them yellow belly black snakes as it does to call them green tree snakes considering they are rarely green and are often dark on top with a yellow belly(in areas where the name is used). There are no regulations on use of common names so if something is commonly called something its automatically a common name. There are heaps of other stupid names around like king brown snake etc. its just one of those things you have to live with.

The biggest problem Cris, is that it insinuates that the poor old Green Tree Snake is in fact a big, dangerous relative of Red Bellies...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back