Incompetence of DECC

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay

Reaction score
I faxed off my license renewal on the 2nd of April including details for payment using a Visa debit card I only use for purposes such as this, I then called 10 days ago after monitoring daily online the money had not been taken out to ensure my renewal had been received.
I was told by a very uninterested woman that yes it had and would be processed soon. Today Ive received a week after its expiry the copy back listing to send a cheque or money order with the form because the card would not work. This was dated the 16th and I've used the card twice for similiar reasons between that time, all the while retaining the licence amount plus extra.
This same card was used by them no less than 3 months ago to upgrade a relatives licence for them.
While this serves no real purpose I just wanted to vent about the people we have in "management" here in NSW. (not that I've known many people to view them as such).

Last edited:
Had the same thing happen but with an import/export licence.
I feel your pain.

I sent off a licence renewal form for a 2 year renewal + credit card details & the sum of how much I wanted debited from my card for the (2 yr licence). I recieved and was charged for a 5 year licence. Works out cheaper in the long run so I didn't bother kicking & screaming about it.

re Incompetence

I faxed off my license renewal on the 2nd of April including details for payment using a Visa debit card I only use for purposes such as this, I then called 10 days ago after monitoring daily online the money had not been taken out to ensure my renewal had been received.
I was told by a very uninterested woman that yes it had and would be processed soon. Today Ive received a week after its expiry the copy back listing to send a cheque or money order with the form because the card would not work. This was dated the 16th and I've used the card twice for similiar reasons between that time, all the while retaining the licence amount plus extra.
This same card was used by them no less than 3 months ago to upgrade a relatives licence for them.
While this serves no real purpose I just wanted to vent about the people we have in "management" here in NSW. (not that I've known many people to view them as such).

Hopelessly inefficient system,basically the same thing that happened twenty years ago there,it happens because its government and they can get away with it. Silly dam bird record books they have and every things got to be sent by snail to them including imports and exports,they dont bother to regulate the womas into class 1,allot of people are not happy with the way things are being run and many are choosing to stay outside the license system because its not managed in a modern and user friendly fashion that suits the times.

re Incompetence

I'm so glad I live in Vic..License took 6 days (includes a weekend)....import permit 24hrs

Mayebe our NPWS in DECC could be outsourced to the chinese or india,they could turn two letter lickers into twenty or fifty at the same cost and they could do things by computers :)

quit bragging about your awsome licensing system and start felling sorry for us(jokes, no offence meant if any is caused).
but seriously i think we should get some people that are actually into reptiles do deal with this kind of stuff, other wise their will be people that are unenthusiastic and don't care what happens.

Will

I'm so glad I live in Vic..License took 6 days (includes a weekend)....import permit 24hrs

you must have caught them on a slow day for your import permit.:):) Return fax number usually sees a two to three hour turnaround.

i had issues when i applied for my licence, wallet got stolen = card cancelled so ahd to give new details which they wouldnt accept over the phone, only via fax with a signature or email without a signature, seems quiet strange and very frustrating so finally 4 weeks later i recieved my licence

mmh, Vic i good. 8 days for the licence (they mis spelt my name first time though lol)

the licence system is great up here in QLD you go online and apply for your licence and pay with credit/debit card and can your licence gets emailed within 5mins, $60 for 5 years.

Not sure if the other states require id etc to get licence?

Before you start screaming about the incompetence of DECC, just think about who else is involved in making your card work...

I had my credit card declined at a pet store I always go to towards the end of last year - We tried it about 5 times and it just wouldnt work. Thankfully they were really nice about it and let me leave with my purchases unpaid for (and knowing I wouldnt be back there for another 3 months). Card worked fine the next day when I was at the airport, so never bothered to contact the bank to find out what went wrong.

My GF also had a problem with her VISA debit card in France recently, where the card was declined - Turns out her bank had a system outage that prevented her card from working that day...

I would imagine DECC would have tried your card once, it didnt work and they immediately sent your form back to you without bothering to check why it didnt work (and who can blame them for that?)...

I think there is a bigger issue than the 'card factor' in this story... The general attitude from these departments is pretty appauling, and it would be great if people who had a keen interest in animals were working there... some of whom obviously don't.

I'm from Qld and have never had any issues (touch wood), but personally, I'm in favour of a National licensing system. Would make importing/exporting much simpler... Would also provide a great opportunity to do a much needed review of the species lists, and get womas etc onto basic licenses...

These departments are the only ones we have, so I guess we have to put up with it for now... but it just doesn't make much sense... If you're a government department, and you want compliance from the public, would it not make sense to make the processes and customer service as easy and enjoyable as possible? When government bodies make things difficult for people, or give good people a hard time when they're trying to comply, that's the kind of scenario in which the public stop obeying the rules. They just keep things off license because it's easier than dealing with frustrating processes.

...Sent my application off on the 16th April and am still waiting... why couldn't mine be done in 6 days? :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back