Haindling vens

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

how old should you be to hold a ven???

• 7-9

Votes: 9 10.0%
  • 10-13

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • 13-15

Votes: 12 13.3%
  • 15-17

Votes: 65 72.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Like I said ,your only focusing on the "what if the child got bitten"...
To some elapid lovers its a way of life ,your children are part of the way you live your life.
With all senarios wether your into racing cars/bikes,riding horses,rodeo life
you often see thier offspring involved at a early age ..
As parents if you honestly think back at some of the situations you allowed your child/children to participate in,You might actually shudder and think of the risks he/she was in..
My daughter loved horses she had one of her own ,she had fallen off many a time as a greenie and the injuries were varied from a few bumps n scratches to a severe break in her arm and she had leg and stomach injuries due to the horse landing on her after a bad fall..
My other kids rode motorbikes and injuries occured ,broken nose ,collarbone and deep lacerations..
As the parent was I bad to allow my children access to these type of hobbies?
In these situations its was just shear luck that I never got that dreaded phone call or witnessed it personally..
But I couldnt stop my kids from doing something that they loved regardless of the risks even fatal ones,
all I could do was kiss them ,say becareful and see you when you get home
to stop something because of the risk factor involved ,you are not teaching them
all your doing is giving yourself a false sense of security.
Ironically ,the child could walk away from holding the ven no problem at all
but get attacked by Nanna's poodle ...(my kids started riding horses and motorbikes from the ages of 5 )

I'm going to change my opinion from 18+

I think we can all safely say that if under the correct supervision (which is what we are talking about in this instance) that people of all ages can do lots of things... I've seen 12 year olds race motorbikes at 200+ km/h at the speedway...

I think instead the question we are all asking is, WHY? Why the hell risk it!? As kirsten has pointed out kids do not think as adults do, and do not fully consider the consequences of their actions. So whilst it would certainly be possibly for a child to safely handle elapids (under supervision), it is more a case of "Why even take the chance?"

Yeh I don't think any one is saying we should all encourage taking vens to show and tell and handing them around for a hold. I think the general idea is that if a child has an interest in them then they are going to understand that there are boundries. Most kids proberbly do understand this and it is only those who are really interested that would even have the chance to handle a ven. It's not like anyone is suggesting we allow our kids to go out and catch wild ones. My six year old understands that even a wild python will bite you so just leave it be. I have also explained that other peoples snakes may do the same. When I extend my herp experiance to elapids I am not going to encourage my kids to "have a hold" because of lack of exeriance of both parties. Although I imagine I won't be "holding" my elapids in a hurry anyway, but even hooking them is not something I will encourage the kids to do straight up.

seamus I have 4 kids all have grown to adult hood with one still being a teenager he is 16 ,to answer your question about forgetting ..anyone that is in that elapid game and is "forgetting" SHOULD GET OUT OF IT ....

Ahhhh lol that makes alot more sense now! I think i'm with you on this. Not to say I would let my kids hold venomous snakes but I certainly agree that there are so many other risks out there that if you were going to protect them from everything then they'd be wrapped up in cotton wool (and even then they could still suffocate :D)
Cheers for the response!

Yeh I don't think any one is saying we should all encourage taking vens to show and tell and handing them around for a hold. I think the general idea is that if a child has an interest in them then they are going to understand that there are boundries. Most kids proberbly do understand this and it is only those who are really interested that would even have the chance to handle a ven. It's not like anyone is suggesting we allow our kids to go out and catch wild ones. My six year old understands that even a wild python will bite you so just leave it be. I have also explained that other peoples snakes may do the same. When I extend my herp experiance to elapids I am not going to encourage my kids to "have a hold" because of lack of exeriance of both parties. Although I imagine I won't be "holding" my elapids in a hurry anyway, but even hooking them is not something I will encourage the kids to do straight up.

Hey mate,
Nah I wasn't implying that at all. I was talking in a controlled environment (see below):
I'm going to change my opinion from 18+

I think we can all safely say that if under the correct supervision (which is what we are talking about in this instance) that people of all ages can do lots of things... I've seen 12 year olds race motorbikes at 200+ km/h at the speedway...

I think instead the question we are all asking is, WHY? Why the hell risk it!? As kirsten has pointed out kids do not think as adults do, and do not fully consider the consequences of their actions. So whilst it would certainly be possible for a child to safely handle elapids (under supervision), it is more a case of "Why even take the chance?"

of the 46 people who has voted in this pole how many actually keep/kept elapids..I would be surprised if its half that.....

where's the 18+ option?

I thought that too Swaddo. NO child should be handling venomous snakes. You are too young to consider respect of the animal and many think its just about gaining popularity amongst your peers. How tough are you just because you handled a brown snake. Not tough at all. Even adults can be in the wrong frame of mind so how can anyone expect any better from a child.

For those kids who have shaken their head at me and thought, "What would she know about me"? Is your life that worthless that you would risk it to look cool in front of your mates. The snake doesn't have to bite you, to envenomate you.

JMO handling venomous snakes should only be done on necessity, not in a social manner for us.

I don't have vens but I work with wild ones and don't believe there is such thing as a tame snake nor can you ever afford to be distracted while you have one in front of you.

I agree with everything said here. The younger you are the more of an effect venom will have.
I'ld say at least an adult. 18-21+. Don't want to end a young life.

"......how old do you think it should be.....with a experienced ven keeper by there side...."
This is what Wizz posted ...hence experienced ven keeper ...^^^^^^^^
NOT willy nilly with a bunch of mates ....
TWO totally different senarios ....

Hey mate,
Nah I wasn't implying that at all. I was talking in a controlled environment (see below):

I wasn't targeting what you said or anyone, just making comment like everyone else. I think we all agree in one way or another that there are so many variables to consider other than just a persons age.

It's a stupid poll, there are to many variables that come into play, ie; the persons ability, the snakes ability ect ect, then there's the legal point of veiw...

In a captive situation, legally, if you're talking free handling, none of the above, stupid question!

Out in the bush and of your own volition thats another kettle of Cod. Its your own fault if it goes tits up.

I think when a kid is old enough to really put the squeeze into the tongs they can handle animals.

I have watched documentary where they said if venom just drips from their fang, or you handle a bag after a venomous snake, it is still possible to be envenomated because your skin is porous. If the snake struck at the bag and leaves venom on the bag can be as dangerous as being bitten. The part about the bag we were told this at our training for Capture and Release of venomous snakes. Not a highly occuring incident but has happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back