how do you know??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jayne

Not so new Member
Reaction score
how can you tell the difference between a normal darwin and a het??

You don't. The only way of knowing it's a het is by putting an albino to a normal (resulting in 100% hets) or putting an albino to a het which will have the same results.

You either buy it as a het (in which case you have to trust the seller, or you buy possible hets (they have a 66% chance of being a het but you won't know unless you breed it) or you get normals :p

so if some one makes the claim that they breed a het with a het and then claims that the resulting clutch produced 1/4 albino and 1/2 hets and 1/4 normal. they really have no idea of knowing.

hi jayne
No-Two is correct.
you can not tell by "just looking". if the breeder is making the claims you stated is sounds like they are talking a numbers game NOT the literal quantity of hets and normals.
crossing a het with a het , in theory, will give you the offspring in the numbers you state, however, that is in theory.

so if some one makes the claim that they breed a het with a het and then claims that the resulting clutch produced 1/4 albino and 1/2 hets and 1/4 normal. they really have no idea of knowing.

Het x het pairings will produce some albinos in a given clutch.The ratio is as you wrote although you can also get more or less albinos as a result.

ok so in this situation getting a 100% het is a lucky dip?

Hi Jayne,
Thats where you get possible Hets from, because they dont know what they are, you are guaranteed to get them in the clutch but you have no idea which ones are what, apart from the pink ones offcourse.
As stated above if you want 100% Hets you need to get them from a Albino to 100% Het mating or an Albino to normal mating or take the chance with possibles.

Cheers
Nick

ok so in this situation getting a 100% het is a lucky dip?

If you are talking about the offspring from a het x het clutch then the resulting normal looking young are classed as possible hets or 66% het.....2 thirds of them will be het with the remaining third being normal,ie: 2 out of 3 will carry the het gene.You have no way of knowing which ones have it though.

if you want hets you are best off getting 100%ers and paying the extra. some breeders sell 66%ers at an increased price compared to normals.
i work on the theory that if i can not guarantee that they are 100% hets then i class them as normal and price them as such.
however to each their own

A crew in Melbourne is working on a genetic test using sloughed skin. It will be a great help for those with possible hets when ready. For now, make sure you trust your breeder!

A crew in Melbourne is working on a genetic test using sloughed skin. It will be a great help for those with possible hets when ready. For now, make sure you trust your breeder!

genitic testing will make it easier.
i am only new at this but i am lucky enough to know a breeder that i trust. his openess and honesty with previous dealings was a plesent supprise, may be i should stick with the tried and true?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back