global warming

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mark57

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any ideas about building an enclosure that doesnt use much power as im a bit of a greenie.i am already looking into doubleglazing.What would use less power,heat lights,mats or something else?

You could build an outdoor enclosure. Its free to run and I think your reptiles would prefer it :) I'm building one soon!

You could build an outdoor enclosure. Its free to run and I think your reptiles would prefer it :) I'm building one soon!
Good idea, however, physical location and herp species being kept is the deciding factor their.
No use doing that with a diamond in Darwin......
Or a jungle in Melbourne....

Heat cords are very low wattage and are a good heat source for today.

A solar setup has been discussed before very much like a solarhart and the water is fed under the enclosure.

For readily available items, the Habistat radiator uses less wattage than globes and only gets hot on one side. I'm not thrilled with globes (ceramic or otherwise) because the top of the enclosure gets so hot. Before the radiators came out, I built a cage with the globe mounted under a basking shelf. It works well and makes better use of the heat which would otherwise be wasted. I've never used heat cord, so can't comment on it.

ive used heat cords in the enclosures ive built, i wouldnt say there a great deal more efficient, in my opinion its 6 of onr half a dozen of another between them and globes, but i have found if set out right they maintain a more constant temperatre

Bottom heat is probably more efficent than heating from above. Since heat rises it takes a lot of heat to radiate down to the floor for terestrial animals.
Also only heating some of the time rather than 24/7 must save power

ive used heat cords in the enclosures ive built, i wouldnt say there a great deal more efficient, in my opinion its 6 of onr half a dozen of another between them and globes, but i have found if set out right they maintain a more constant temperatre

Interesting. I cant see how heat cords could not be cheaper then globes. A 4m heat cord at 15watts has to be cheaper to run then a 75 watt globe...it uses only 20% of the power.....and a 4m heat cord could easily heat two well built enclosures, thus saving 135 watts of power.
How could it not be cheaper?

because it would have to run more continuously to maintain a higher temperature, it probably would use slightly less energy in the long run but it wouldnt be enough to save a tree

If you're down south you could insulate the enclosure with styrofoam.

Per

The advantage of heat cord or heat mats is that they directly heat the floor which is in turn in direct contact with the snake. Globes have to heat the air which is a less deirect path to the snake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back