Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Shutting the gate after the horse has bolted; comes to mind. Only those keepers who dont bother to quarantine should worry. Its too late conducting a witchunt after the event as there is no cure, The only way is prevention which involves treating every animal as though it were infected.

No quarantine regime is infallible.

Bredlislave,
The question is actually for all people not just you, my point is simple. if an animal comes into your collection (quarantine area or not) once it has been identified as having a particular problem such as a virus, the original owner needs to be contacted as it has come from them. This means that the virus could be in other collections if multiple animals have been bred and sold.

This is why we need to have a reporting system, so we can trace the origins and ensure that other collections are not in danger.

look itbites is right there will be massive sale decrease for the ppl who come forword and that is understandable but i would have a lot more respect for the breeders that DO come forword cuz like bredlislave has pritty much said its the reptiles that we should be thinking about not how fat we can get are wallets and i mean if those ppl that have got it come forward sure u may get a lil abuse from some ppl but if had bought from them i would be thanking them for haveing the guts to come out because at the end of the day there would be a lot less stress for some ppl and the once that do have it can then possably controle this now im no excpert with OPMV so i may be wrong it may be harder to controle but im pritty sure it make it a hell of a lot easyer to if we new who had it and i mean once its controled if thats possable everything will go back to normal and hopfully ppl will do more to prevent it from starting again i mean i may be wrong it may not be that easy but thats what i think

Just a point of interest, while snakes can live for up to 8 months without showing symptoms, the virus can be triggered by stress undertaken by the snake i.e having godknowswhat happening to it during the 12 hours in freight. Also hatchies are much more easily killed by it. Just like humans, when the immune system is down viruses can attack a lot more easily.

Mark,
No problems in my collection at all. What about yours.?!!!!

i don't think it's my collection in doubt here ?
i didn't receive animals off the same people that YOU, luke and Danny Brown did, all at the same time... and luke and Danny - well we all know the outcome of that ???

i'm not the one who posted up "i'm getting out of pythons - they bore me" hmmm ???
i didn't say "green pythons are boring hunks of gorilla snot and i don't know why anyone would want one ! did I ? how many are in your collection at the moment robin ?

here's Dave (pilbara pythons) and Danny both trying to promote wild caught animals saying that wild caught animals are safer than most captives
& you turn around and say that luke could have taken something nasty back to his animals from playing with a wild one ??? aren't you suppose to be partners with Dave ? that totally contradicts what he is trying to promote doesn't it ??? ( don't worry Dave, i agree with you- no offence to you or Danny)

not very consistant are you robin ? doesn't take Einstein to put this one together :rolleyes:

like i said - not my collection under doubt - till now thanks to you and your jelousy

i don't think it's my collection in doubt here ?
i didn't receive animals off the same people that YOU, luke and Danny Brown did, all at the same time... and luke and Danny - well we all know the outcome of that ???

i'm not the one who posted up "i'm getting out of pythons - they bore me" hmmm ???
i didn't say "green pythons are boring hunks of gorilla snot and i don't know why anyone would want one ! did I ? how many are in your collection at the moment robin ?

here's Dave (pilbara pythons) and Danny both trying to promote wild caught animals saying that wild caught animals are safer than most captives
& you turn around and say that luke could have taken something nasty back to his animals from playing with a wild one ??? aren't you suppose to be partners with Dave ? that totally contradicts what he is trying to promote doesn't it ??? ( don't worry Dave, i agree with you- no offence to you or Danny)

not very consistant are you robin ? doesn't take Einstein to put this one together :rolleyes:

like i said - not my collection under doubt - till now thanks to you and your jelousy

Whew:shock: Is what you're saying what i'm interpretting here, this is seriously scary stuff, I will definately stop buying from now unless I really know the reputation of the seller.

Leigh

yeah well like what has already been said - reputations don't mean much when there is $$$$ to be made

Immune supression

Haymista....Just like humans, when the immune system is down viruses can attack a lot more easily. This sentence you wrote l personally believe is so true a lot of people appear to think reptiles are bullet proof with the amount time they can go between meals but in the confined conditions we tend to keep them in and in some cases totally unsuitable housing and incorrect temp cycles its not surprising viruses get a hold.....cheers solar 17 [Baden]

I would just like to add that although I sell and deal in wild caught reptiles, I only believe this to a safe scenario if the area has not been infiltrated by diseased escaped captives in the first place.
In 6 years I have never ever seen or had a sick reptile specimen here in the Pilbara.
The question remains though, would I now consider bush areas on the fringes of Cairns etc as being potentially untainted theses days, no I wouldn’t.
I have to thank my lucky stars that we are so far free from seeing these horrible virus’s in the Pilbara. Furthermore I am so glad that all my stock here that I breed from has been personally collected by myself, it makes me never want to leave this place.
However, the poor soles out side of W.A purchasing from private collections of questionable origin, clearly walk a minefield blindfolded.

hey dan, i heard that the animal that introduced it to you was the bumble-bee bhp, true? was it euthanased ? how many people that you have sold herps to did you warn upon knowing you had problems, i heard none.

Pull your head in, mate. These sort of questions that are based on chinese whisers should be kept to a PM. Fair enough it's a relevant question if you have heard it on the grapevine, but mud sticks regardless of whether it's true or false.

Danny is one of the very few keepers in Australia that have had the balls and respect to put his hand up as having an infected collection, and the ONLY one I have heard of to actually euthanise the entire lot. I regularly visit Danny's place and was one of the first people to get the phone call from him, just as a precaution on my behalf.

Danny's actions immediately put him at the top of my list of Australia's most respected herpers (Sorry Ray, you'll have to take second spot) and that should be the same for everybody who knows of what he did.

The damage that people can cause when they speak out of turn, be it deliberately or in ignorance, is disturbing. As I said before, this whole thread has gone from the sublime to the ridiculous. The most shameful thing is that it's a completely accurate insight into the hobby, not just an isolated incidence of deceit and rumour mongering. This is what it's all about.

Before anyone jumps to conclusion about my motive or meaning in that statement, I am referring to the aftermath of the initial revelation. I am not in any way, shape or form having a go at the two boys who have started this thread, to Luke or to Dave. I am speaking of the ridiculous accusations being thrown about by people (at least two of whom are probably regular members using aliases to get away with speaking out of turn) who are clearly showing disrespect, disregard and in some cases outright malice to the lives and reputations of others.

The damage that people can cause when they speak out of turn, be it deliberately or in ignorance, is disturbing. As I said before, this whole thread has gone from the sublime to the ridiculous. The most shameful thing is that it's a completely accurate insight into the hobby, not just an isolated incidence of deceit and rumour mongering. This is what it's all about.

Before anyone jumps to conclusion about my motive or meaning in that statement, I am referring to the aftermath of the initial revelation. I am not in any way, shape or form having a go at the two boys who have started this thread, to Luke or to Dave. I am speaking of the ridiculous accusations being thrown about by people (at least two of whom are probably regular members using aliases to get away with speaking out of turn) who are clearly showing disrespect, disregard and in some cases outright malice to the lives and reputations of others.
i agree.
This is not the way things should be handled.This whole thread has proved how bitchy and stupid some reptile keepers are...

Once again i will ask is the seller going to pay the vet bills??
if there is a partnership between the seller and some mebers on this site maybe they could answer for him??
I am sure everyone would like to know!

Is the seller going to notify all other purchasers in say the last 6 months and let them know ??

And is the seller going to try find out the source in which he may have got it off, and so on and so on ....

Last edited:
Netty
Luke shall reimburse the vet bill when he receives an unedited histopathology report and receipts. The people concerned have been told this for some time now.

Netty
Luke shall reimburse the vet bill when he receives an unedited histopathology report and receipts. The people concerned have been told this for some time now.

Comeone Dave who do you think you are kidding. Luke Warren has had this report for some time and is just stalling. Time to pay up.

OPMV can incubate for up to 12 months. So those who have written here, that they follow strict quarantine protocol for 6 months may not be quarantining them long enough for this virus to show its face, if it is going to. Another has already pointed out on this thread that even a carrier can seem healthy and suddenly show all the symptoms in say 8 months. By this time you have introduced your new snakes to your collection.

I've also heard from various sources that OPMV in Australia isn't the same strain that is effecting reptiles in other countries. The strain here in Australia, although symptoms are very much the same it does not show up when tested. Thats why (so I discovered) Veterinary reports will state "showing symptoms consistent with OPMV" and don't give a confirmed postive diagnosis. So maybe what we have here is a strain that has developed here, perhaps from wild snakes? Still more mystery that goes unsolved.

OPMV can incubate for up to 12 months. So those who have written here, that they follow strict quarantine protocol for 6 months may not be quarantining them long enough for this virus to show its face, if it is going to. Another has already pointed out on this thread that even a carrier can seem healthy and suddenly show all the symptoms in say 8 months. By this time you have introduced your new snakes to your collection.

I've also heard from various sources that OPMV in Australia isn't the same strain that is effecting reptiles in other countries. The strain here in Australia, although symptoms are very much the same it does not show up when tested. Thats why (so I discovered) Veterinary reports will state "showing symptoms consistent with OPMV" and don't give a confirmed postive diagnosis. So maybe what we have here is a strain that has developed here, perhaps from wild snakes? Still more mystery that goes unsolved.

100% spot on! This is the most accurate post I've read in this thread. I spoke to an experienced vet the other day who told me that we don't actually get OPMV in Australia, it is simply another virus/strain that shows similar symptoms.

codered, i never denied receiving it, when i got home from the reptile expo in gladstone i check my p.o. box an there was no mail in it from them, so you are the one who needs to get your facts right . an as i told paul i will pay for there vet bill once i get what i've ask from them.

i'll be checking my p.o. box tomorrow an if everythink i've ask for is in my p.o. box i will pay for the vet bill right there an then.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back