Hungry??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

carly_weston

Reaction score
I have had a carpet python for two weeks now that i got brought up from down south. I have tried feeding him/her pinkies and he/she won't eat them. I am concered that because it hasn't eaten he may die or become sick. I may just be paranoid but i have heard lots that they will keep eating but i haven't come across any information on what to do if they won't eat.
Thanks for you help :)

brain the pinkies ( stick a needle through the brain for a oozing smell) or poke a few holes in its stomach and the snake may come close to it for the smell.

How old is the snake?
When did the snake last feed?
What is the snake housed in? Enclosure or Click Clack?
Is the snake in a low traffic area of the house?

brain the pinkies ( stick a needle through the brain for a oozing smell) or poke a few holes in its stomach and the snake may come close to it for the smell.

And if that does not work, then leave the dead rodent in the enclosure / click clack over night and see if the snake has eaten.

dont stress, they can go a long time without eating, when i sell my juvy's i show the buyer them eating,(feed them in front of the buyer so they know 1st hand that there eating well) and u should have got a shed/feed record with your snake, thats a must so u know what/when they have eaten/shed..

I have tried leaving them in the container over night and he doesn't seem to touch them. When i first put them into the cage he knows something is there but it is like he gets scared of it or something. He/She is only young born around February and the last date of feeding was 21st April. he is kept in the warm of the spare bedroom so nothing can disturb him/her unless we go in there to get it. I didn't receive a feed record or anything about it or its habits. He/She lives in a small container mostly in the dark unless he goes into the sun to warm up occasionally. Does this give you anymore insight? i suppose as long as i know he isn't going to die on me it is ok!

put the pinkie in front of the hide spot and just leave it in there for a bit if that dont work just leave the pinkie on the heat pad.cheers

I have tried leaving them in the container over night and he doesn't seem to touch them. When i first put them into the cage he knows something is there but it is like he gets scared of it or something. He/She is only young born around February and the last date of feeding was 21st April. he is kept in the warm of the spare bedroom so nothing can disturb him/her unless we go in there to get it. I didn't receive a feed record or anything about it or its habits. He/She lives in a small container mostly in the dark unless he goes into the sun to warm up occasionally. Does this give you anymore insight? i suppose as long as i know he isn't going to die on me it is ok!

Can I just ask, are you just putting them in the container and hoping he will sniff it out and eat it? Sure this can work, but your best chance is to get a pair of tweezers and hold the pinkie by the tail, and giggle it infront of him, then you will hopefully have some success!

Also what are the temps at?? Do you have a thermometer in the enclosure?

tap the snake on the nose with the pinkie a couple of times, some of mine wont take them off the floor,they like to have the rat pups dangled in front of them..they may 'strike' at it a few times before they take hold & coil around it......would agree with seumas12345 as well, tease your juvy a bit with the pinkie...

If the snake was feeding before you purchased it I would say the lack of feeding responce is due to some kind of husbandry problem. More often than not it is stress or temperature related. From here I would make sure the snake has at least 2 tightly fitting hides, access to 32 or 34 degrees C 24/7 with a cool end of 28 degrees C max, and access to clean fresh water. I would leave it alone for 2 weeks then offer a thawed frozen or freah killed fuzzy or hopper mouse. Best not to try feed it till it has settled down and best not to handle it till it has fed. Hope this helps.

do you warm the mouse up?

also try rubbing the mouse with some chicken skin,that has worked for me on my stimmie who hadnt eaten for 4 months

my snake was 5 months old before she ate. and we ended up having to have her assist fed the firs time then ever since then she is an awesome feeder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back