Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i think its great to have some kind of guidelines, especially for lizards,...but thats a bit extreme!!

i think its disgraceful that some people keep grown beardies in a 1X2 foot cage,..i'll be happy for all animals involved when it happens,.... :)

i think its great to have some kind of guidelines, especially for lizards,...but thats a bit extreme!!

i think its disgraceful that some people keep grown beardies in a 1X2 foot cage,..i'll be happy for all animals involved when it happens,.... :)

For dragons maybe it is a good idea... but snakes?

There should be a minimum but I think they should be realistic. Appropriate sized tubs are fine imo but if they go overboard it will cost alot of money for people to build new enclosure's and they will have to downsize their collection. The sizes that have been mentioned so far are ridiculous and way too big.

guideline would be much better! not enforced requirements. i think its obvious that a central or eastern beardie for example should be housed in a 4x2x2ft enclosure...
i keep a few carpets in tubs, adult jungles 4.5ft maximum length in tubs that measure 1000L x 600W x 200H yes they dont have the height but i still supply them with a perch etc and they have very clean enclosures. the floor area of each of these enclosures is actually larger then a 3x2x2 enclosure they just dont havse the extra height. in saying that whats the difference between a pearch 4 inches of the ground (as in my tubs) in comparison to one 8inches off the ground ( as in most 2ft H enclosures)?....nothing the animal is still practically on the ground... when you go bush how often would an arboreal pecies perch only 8inches off the ground.

either way what is a suitable size for a jungle? especially when their range is 4-8ft? what about the size for hatchies etc?

For dragons maybe it is a good idea... but snakes?

not so much fro snakes, but i dont agree with them being kept in click clacks when theyre fully grown just so people can squeeze as many in a small area as possible to make max $ either.

none of those sizes are realistic, but i do think 4x2x2 for example per dragon would be nice.

Man those keeping scrubbies will need a small zoo to keep them in by the looks of it. In all seriousness good points have been raised. How about this point, where do they draw the line between hatchy and adult? Do they now expect us to put the hatchies in these monster enclosures and if not how do they police at what point the animal must be put into the legally enforced enclosure size?They could say once they hit yearling they must be taken out of click clacks and placed into a legal enclosure but I bet if you compared 50 animals of the same species the size variety would be massive. Some peoples snakes by yearling are huge whilst others are bare;y bigger than a hatchy and we all know that small snakes don;t like large areas.

I would like to hear what breeders have to say about size requirements.

Arnt there "breeders" already making comments now on this thread?

I would like to hear what breeders have to say about size requirements.
It doesn't just effect breeders, it effects all keepers at all levels.
No racks, no tubs. Generalised size requirements. The scoping is being done as we type. Size recommendations are already being bandied about.
This is not await and see situation.
The investigation staff have been hired and are already working as Gillsy stated.
Discussion papers have been passed around to various interested organisations but they aren't for publication.
DECC are not even happy that some herpers have got together to discuss this without inviting them.

So anyone that owns Scrubbys or Olives have to keep them in a bedroom,you can keep a 4foot snake in a huge enclosure,BUT they will only use a small proportion of it,hide in the corner in their hide box.Apparently this has been discussed at length with NPW.If these so called new requirements do come into play,how many especially the bigger breeders will have no other option but to give the hobby away,as it will cost a fortune to replace all the enclosures..

Well until DECC want to compensate people who have forked out thousands for racks that are legal right now, there will be lots of people, time and money tied up in court.

Last edited:
I wouldnt worry, if their attempt to bring in rediculus legislation is as professional and complete as the new species list, we will be right.

I might just add, it's not completely about size issues, but also goes into heating ie thermal gradients and day night cycles

Well until DECC want to compensate people who have forked out thousands for racks that are legal right now, there will be lots of people, time and money tied up in court.

There will be no compensation for the cost of any enclosures that need to be scrapped because of any new regs.

Some have made comments re breeders.What needs to be remembered is if breeding animals are not healthy and happy then they will NOT breed.

The current proposals are a serious concern and total overkill,anyone with even a basic understanding of reptiles can see this.Lets just hope the people who are in talks with the DECC have some luck in getting them to see reason.

I wouldnt worry, if their attempt to bring in rediculus legislation is as professional and complete as the new species list, we will be right.

Thats exactly right...maybe they should stick to what their actual job is (species list) and get THAT right, :shock::shock:before they even try to venture into something beyond their jurisdiction. Leave it to animal welfare groups (RSPCA) whether or not enclosure size is good or cruel for the reptile.:shock:

why would anyone get compensated?
thats a bizzare idea,....

If regulations are unrealistic it is likely that more keepers will go off licence. Why would keepers get a licence if they cant comply with the regulations?The hobby will move from Macdonalds carpark to the back alleys of Kings Cross.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back