Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone tried breaking the neck by pulling the tail? I was advised to hold them down by placing a pencil/stick over the neck and then give the taila sharp pull, it breaks their neck and their dead straight away.

Nowadays I hold by the tail, press down on the neck and pull on the tail. Very quick.

schnakey, you clearly have a different opinion as to what is "humane". As far as I am concerned, "Humane" is to show compassion toward an animal, and I do that by killing it as quickly and painlessly as possible.

Yeah but if you slowly suffocate or freeze them, you see them alive, walk away and when you come back they are dead like you get from the shop. Apparently its more humane to pretend you arnt killing them.

Couldn't agree more!!!!!!!

Lewy

I guess not everyone is going to agree and have the same ideas.... :):)

no one will ever agree on what is humane for culling becuase everyone has different points of view! And really they way epa see's it, there is no humane way to kill a animal! So pritty much everyone is breaking the law even with gasing! So whatever works best for you, and what you feel is the most humane way of culling then go ahead becuase its really no one elses business on how you feel and how you cull the food sorce for your snakes/reptiles!

BLAH BLAH BLAH they are food for gods sake who cares whats more humane and whats not as long as the job gets done!!

BLAH BLAH BLAH they are food for gods sake who cares whats more humane and whats not as long as the job gets done!!

:rolleyes:

Lots of people care including me, they may be destined for snake food but that doesnt mean they arent entitled be treated like the living feeling animal they are. If anything it makes them MORE entitled as without them we wouldnt be able to KEEP any snakes as easily as we do.

When i get the mouse pinkies i cant simply throw them on the floor as theyres oil and stuff from the bikes. So i just flick them hard and fast in the head and they die pretty quick.
Rats i just cant bring myself to kill as theyre so much bigger and tougher and smarter.
I still feel for the mice i kill, and try and have them dead as fast as possible, even if it ends up being messy, im sure i can just do a cleanup rather than having them slowly suffer cos i dont want a bit of nose blood splatter.

I used to be a clonker, but its a pain wacking 30 or 40 mice and rats a week and even more of a pain culling 50 or more fuzzies. I already had a CO2 cylinder sitting in the shed for my keg set up :lol: so it was an easy choice to use CO2 for culling.

i was out culling rats yesterday and was working at a rat of about 20 wpm(wacks per minute) quick, easy, effective. pinkies are easier, hold their head and flick them in the brain, dead in seconds. i find using a brick is more humane then co2, and ffaster, if i have 70 rats to cull, i can take 5 mins smacking them on a brick, or i can spend 4 mins setting up a gassing chamber and another 3-5 mins waiting for the little buggers to die. then doing it all over again because the gass chamber isnt big enough.

Only reason I use gas is because its there and easy. Ive got a fair size chamber with a ball lock quick disconect post the same as my kegs.

You no Its people like you who shouldn't have the right to own reptiles as you are oviestly just a pore cruel little boy

i just thought of something ive seen people do this with chickens, get a metal or so tray put a bit of water in it and stick some live pinkieso n it and get an electric current and zap the water, will fry their brain instand and is very humane. thats how they kill chickens in the industry

This sensible reply seems to have been missed or ignored. It sounds like a viable alternative - especially if its how we kill our own food. I would think/hope it has been decided it is the most humane way to cull. Can you elaborate anymore?

have to agree with the throwing them at the floor method and with older ones i found co2 not as fast as a grab on the neck and a good shaking crack 3/4 times they seem to panic to much with co2

they seem to panic to much with co2

If done correctly there should be no panicking. You are probably introducing too much CO2 too quickly. It should be done at a rate of 30% the volume of the container every minute.

im only going to weigh into this argument on one point.

if all living creatures are the same and feel the same amount of pain. whats the difference between throwing a mouse/rat at the ground for a quick kill and feeding my ewd 20 live insects. arent i being inhumane by live feeding crickets/woodies?

you need to kill the animal. i would rather die a crude efficient death then a drawn out asphyxiation

This sensible reply seems to have been missed or ignored. It sounds like a viable alternative - especially if its how we kill our own food. I would think/hope it has been decided it is the most humane way to cull. Can you elaborate anymore?

The electrocution method sounds dangerous and unreliable. If you are not an electrician you would be more likely to kill yourself.

As for what you would do in front of a RSPCA inspector, some are probably sensible but as the RSPCA is now controlled by animal liberationists they would do all they could to stop you killing any animals if they had their way. That organisation now has lost all credibility in the ability to say what is humane and what is not, and I would not be game to do anything in front of them.

I believe the most humane is the quickest and that would be a sudden impact. (eg. cement floor)

Don't think it is wise to be encouraging people to start messing about with water and electric currents... :shock:

You have both dismissed this without thinking it through. If an electrician or electrical engineer could set the system up in a way that could be safely used by us/the consumer why couldn't this work? Again, if this is how we "humanely" kill our own food in what I assume must be a safe & controlled manor which OHS requirements etc would dictate, is there not some reasonable application of the same technology to this problem many herp keepers face?

The electrocution method sounds dangerous and unreliable.

If it is regularly used for massed produced poultry how dangerous & unreliable can it be? I don't own a reptile yet and I see this being one of the harder tasks associated with keeping them in larger numbers. If there is a clean, efficient way to do it I am all for it. Till this idea came up I liked the sound of the CO2 chamber.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back