Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

azn4114

Reaction score
im looking into getting a bhp in a few months or so and was wandering if theres any suggestions on breeders,pic/s of the snake/s purchased would be good also,im asking now coz im assuming there could be a waiting list..thanks

Things you should know about BHP's

• They love to dig
  • They eat 3 times as much as morelia's
  • They are very placid (as a general rule)
  • They like warmer conditions than morelia's.
Please anybody who has had more experience than myself correct me if I'm wrong.

where are you located if ur in sydney you could ask kel and Julie Worley ther website has ther email on it
its ( no links please)

Last edited by a moderator:
Things you should know about BHP's

• They love to dig
  • They eat 3 times as much as morelia's
  • They are very placid (as a general rule)
  • They like warmer conditions than morelia's.
Please anybody who has had more experience than myself correct me if I'm wrong.

1. i use bark as a substrate for all of my BHP, yes they do like to dig and hide under it
2. yes they like their food, but wouldnt say they eat 3 times as much as morelia's. its un-healthy to over feed BHP
3. fairly placid, but no different to any other snake. some are good handlers, some arent
4. warmer conditions. depends what morelia's your keeping. i keep my BHP at 31C they seem to do well at that temperature

Hey mate there is no need to use bark its expensive. All you need is a shredded news paper or normal news paper Just keep them hot and feed them. All of mine are tame but some are jumpy in the enclosure I have 4 adults I have tried to add a photo of one of my small adults I hope it works.

Attachments

• suffy 409.jpg
    suffy 409.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 173
I had one 2 metre male NT bhp that was agro and tence when you picked him up and I have a WA male 2 metres long that loves being out of enclosure and handled so it depends on the snake they both used to be great handlers as the got older but hitting breeding age and meturity changed the behavour.

I feed my big boy 1 - 2 large rat a month he is kept at what ever the temp is here at the time, around 30 - 34degrees during day and 28-29 at night he has a heat rock for heat.

I give him a hide and a large bucket of water he loves cooling off on hot days.

pretty easy to look after and there genually calm and placid just some can be more of a handfull just like all snakes.

so do you know what sub species you getting, there is loads of different types these days. oviously they more you pay the nicer looking the individual but sometimes you can find a bargain. most bhp's fade with age so the more clear the pattern or brighter the pattern as a hatchy doesn't really mean they will stay like that as adults. but saying that sometimes you get lucky.I've seen alot of really stunning clean patterned adults but there kept buy big breeders or people with money to spend.

good luck with your choice

I just use news paper as well its so quick and easy to use, I used to use barch but its a pain to clean, they tend to get mites easily and one of mine ended up getting splinter up his bum when he did a poo and it got irritated and bled so he needed vet to get splinter out. so no I don't use bark ever again.

Hey mate there is no need to use bark its expensive. All you need is a shredded news paper or normal news paper Just keep them hot and feed them. All of mine are tame but some are jumpy in the enclosure I have 4 adults I have tried to add a photo of one of my small adults I hope it works.
repi bark may be expensive, but theres cheaper bark options

mine is 4 years old and just over 2 metres

there's much bigger ones I started a thread not too long ago on "show us your large bhp's" so type in search bar in this site BHP and look for it through the threads that show up.

have a 4 year old female thats about 7feet and thicker than a coke can, two 3 year old males, one about 5.5feet the other about 6feet

Hi azn,
I will be advertising some BHP Juveniles over the next week so I may be able to help you out. I rarely get a chance to browse forums and check pms due to time restrictions so for further info about BHPs flick me an email and I'll reply as soon as I get a chance.

[email protected]

Pics of a pair I will be advertising this week. I'll also include a comparison shot of two QUEENSLAND BHPs as an example of colour variance..(not for sale)
L0802female.jpg

DJ0812male.jpg

DJclassic.jpg

Den

BHP are the best!! lol. my little guy Theo (check out my snakes album on my profile page for pics) is a Northern Territory hatchie from Swampie on this site. Never bitten, doesn't even hiss anymore. He's got a good appetite (eats the same size rat as my 15 month old morelia).
He's only 5 months old and is already quite robust and just over 2 foot long.
but overall he is very close to being my favourite snake. absolutely stunning to look at and has the temperament to boot!!!

You got to love BHP's:D

Lewy

Attachments

• IMG_4332.jpg
    IMG_4332.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_4634.jpg
    IMG_4634.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_4646.jpg
    IMG_4646.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 108
My male is crazy! He will strike at the glass when you walk past, launch himself from his hide if you dare to put your hand in, and watch him at feeding time! He will more than likely go for your arm or hand instead of the rat. I thought my female SA Woma was mad but he takes the cake!

thats a really beautiful snake you got there mate!! i got a adult male.. such a beautiful creature in temper and looks!! love him! yours isnt fully grown yet is it?

some nice animals there lewy and flood.

azn4114 if you are looking to purchase any bhps you cant go past den and troys, i am yet to hear a bad word about any of their snakes.

Lewy are they your bhps? if so how old?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back