Cleaning products

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ShnakeyGirl

Reaction score
I currently use Repti-clean to clean my snake enclosures. When using it, I have to, at all times wear a face mask because of the smell it gives off causes me shocking migraines.

My question is, does anybody know of a herp cleaning product that doesn't give off as strong as smell as Repti-Clean?

Any help would be great, because the migraine's I get through Repti-Clean can last a few days.

i was told a bit of vinegar and bi carb soda was good for cleaning the tanks.

I save the repti-kleen for the major cleaning jobs. It is particularly effective at killing the microbes and other nasties without leaving a toxic residue. (even though they do say to rince thoroughly after using it.)

for regular cleaning I usually use kitchen detergent and hot water to which I might add a splash of repti-kleen.

I use a dash of bleach in water....more water than bleach, then leave the door open for about 5 - 10 minutes till the smell goes away. No one has told me I shouldn't do it, so I guess it's fine.

go chemical free...tea tree oil or eucalyptus oil (1 cap per 5ltrs) & water, lavender and water also do a great job of cleaning and sterilzing enclosures, great smell and more eco friendlier! Air encl. for about 5mins before putting reptiles back in. On lacquered wood enclosures I use thess oilz in a spray bottle then wipe down with cloth is excellent. Paper towel gets caught if the wood is a little rough. Bicarb & vinegar excellent for stuck on/soiled areas let it fiz on the soiled area and then lightly scrub off. Water and vinegar are excellent for cleaning glass. Thats my matha stewart tips for today! :)

I like the chem free way seems more natural as you dont find our pets doing f10 or repticlean in the wild

i use F10, bit tricky to get ya hands on but i have a friend who works in a vet clinic that hooks me up, before that i used diluted bleach and to clean the glass i used metho, i let it all air out before i put my snakey back in

I use a reptile cleaner i got from Herptrader - forget what it's called but works well. Have never noticed a smell.

There are 2 products called Repti-Kleen, on available through HerpShop as a concentrate and the ready to use cleaner available from Aristopet. The Herpshop one I found quite good and only switched to F10 because I felt more comfortable with the testing done on it. The Aristopet one I found to be horrendous. It may well be a good cleaner/sanitiser but the smell seemed to get into everything and if I found it offensive I wonder how my reptiles found it.

I now use a combination of F10XD and F10. The XD has a stronger smell to it but is a more effective cleaner, having said that F10 still works just as well. I think many people are a little too frugal with their cleaning products, I liberally douse enclosures, furniture and waterbowls when cleaning. The fact that a $30 bottle of F10 makes 25L at its strongest dilution not only allows this, but encourages it.

F10 again. :D
Before F10 i would have to rince my frog tanks/pebbles out up to 5 times to get rid of the bleach smell, now its one rince with normal water and one rince with dechloirinated water. Trying to help save the river murry, whilst still looking after my animals properly

I like the chem free way seems more natural as you dont find our pets doing f10 or repticlean in the wild

As true as your statement may be
In the wild You dont see 10-30 animals in a few square meter room, Or other snakes coming in that may have been housed 100's to a room. I like how every one keeps saying in the wild, If you have not noticed keeping an animal in a box, cage ect is about as far from "in the wild" as you get. if you want your animals to be "in the wild"
let them go.
F10 for me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back