Mercury Vapour Bulb - Diamond Python

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Strangla

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!
I have a question about the use of a Mercury Vapour Bulb with a Diamond Python, How long should a diamond be exposed to it and can it pose any health risks if on for too long etc. How long should it be on? I need some general information about this situation really so i have a better understanding. And plus dont want any harm to come to him (my diamond python)!

its no where near the intensity of the sun, so it could be under it for as long as you like. if its for heating maybe on for 8hr in winter and 12-14hrs in summer. just use it as a day light. what wattage is it? if it is a 100 or 150 watt light be really careful because it will be to hot for ur diamond in a small cage. and u cant put them on a thermostat.
i would personally only use one in a big extremely vented cage. other wise use a uv fluorescent tube and a regular basking globe on a thermostat will be fine :) i use oz bright mercury vapour light for my ackies and they get up to 35-40 degrees+ in small cages. i am just about to use a 150 watt oz bright mucury vapour light in my new diamond cage. an entirely mesh 6ftx4ftx3ft cage. just a few examples so u know what ur in for if ur using a high wattage light one.... very hot!

My diamonds get 4 hours/day from a 125W Exo Terra with the perch around 30 - 40cm from the bulb surface. Photokeratoconjunctivitis (snow blindness) has been reported in lizards from over-exposure to UV light, problems are generally associated with the basking site being too close a high intensity UV globe. I haven't heard of this in snakes but use of UV lighting is not common for most snake species.

A more important aspect of diamond husbandry is heat. If you are going to use this type of globe you will need a large, well ventilated enclosure to create a basking site while maintaining cool areas. The ventilation will help the heat dissipate once the light is turned off.

In my opinion, you will need an enclosure that is at least 90cm tall to warrant the use of one of these globes for a python. Mine are 120cm tall with the globe mounted outside the enclosure (i.e. the bulb surface is 125cm from the enclosure floor).

thanks heaps, my enclosure is currently 90 cm x 90 cm so its fairly big, i made it myself, its definitely well ventilated, its also on the outside of the enclosure aswell, but sounds like its should be alright then. Does anyone have any snakes where they dont expose them to UV? Ive noticed this topic comes with alot of different thoughts from different people! Even though snakes do bask naturally in the sun! I've heard quite a few people that dont expose them to the UV at all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back