Reptile Room Maybe?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vassallo2008

Reaction score
Well a recent thread got me thinking.

We Have 2 massive voids in our house.. There like 10m x 3m and 5mx 9m

There on the bottom floor are fairly dark and just have a 30mm gravel ground

Would i be able to use this as a herp room?

Im worried it might get cold. as its in a valley.
and its partiall underground.

if you think it will get cold in there , then it will probally be difficult to set up.

Yeh i would probably knock up Some Framing. And concrete a floor thats 3m,3m
then put up some frames. gyprock it all and insulate it. also would put in a false ceiling and insulate that aswell

mate, i recently went on an "alternative" building course and you know that you can render the floor using and earth and sand mix. comes up looking sweet, costs bugger all , is pretty clean and has some quite good thermal properties.

if you want more info PM me.

Ha Swadds I can get the concrete free so thats no probs But could you share this Render thing with us all?

This sounds like a great project. Spend abit of time planning it , speak to some local tradies and see if they can offer you any tips etc. my tip would be to never under insulate anything, if you have a choice insulate it as many ways as possible because in the long run it WILL save you money. Good luck, oh and get the electrical done before you insulate the rooms as its easier and quicker for a sparky to do rather than threading a tongue down a wall with insulation, which will save you money.

mate, i recently went on an "alternative" building course and you know that you can render the floor using and earth and sand mix. comes up looking sweet, costs bugger all , is pretty clean and has some quite good thermal properties.

if you want more info PM me.
Great idea and the deeper you go the more stable the temperature is, just make sure the plumbing or run off is thought about first.

HAh :) yep Dads a quailified builder. :) so ill ill get my unc to do the wiring. Will be a floor waste in the middle and yeh. will be insulated with sound proof insulation aswell as we have 100+ bags of it :)

sure. this mix was made from the soil removed for the foundations of a building.

earthen floor render is 25% clay, 75% washed sand. Can add some chopped straw or chaf in the first couple of coats to help bind it together. add water to get it so that a handful of the mix sticks to the inside of the cement mixer and hold for more than 3 rotations. Basically, mix it in a cement mixer and our it and screed it. simple.

I've seen ppl seal it with an acrylic paint ,and also just leave it natural. if you have doubts, you could seal it with a pond sealant I guess. anyway, works a treat and seems to last well.

Edit: you determine the sand/clay ratio of the soil by doing a sedimentation test, just like in high school science. just add enough sand to get the final mix right.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back