How milky is milky? :D

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scaler

Reaction score
Its me, the questioning nut again :oops:

So, i'm due to give my little gem her third feed, but at the back of my mind i can here the breeder telling me that she was due to shed in the next two weeks (which was around 2 weeks ago haha)

I dunno whether i'm imagining things when i look at her eyes now, cos i know she's due lol
So - how milky is milky? i've never actually seen the 'cloudiness' people mention so i don't know what i'm looking for.
Does anyone have any pointers? pics of someones snake 'milky' would be terrific *hopeful smile*

Cheers,

just abit pail bit whiter than normal dont worry you will notice i mine eat even when there got milkey eyes the last 2 times my bredli was milkie eyed i fed her just happened to land on the 10th day and both times he has shed strait after the feed so you can still feed it it doesnt matter:D

Milkie is very noticably milky, particularly in the eyes. The whole body goes a cloudy colour i gues similar to what it would be like looking at your snake through fog. The eyes definetly go very cloudy in comparison to the normal crystal clear eye. I worried about the same thing with my first snake but understood how hard it would be to miss when she went through her first shed under my care.

..........................................jungle girl. they don't all do it to this extent....

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 146
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 151
Scaler, whats the age of your snake? Juveniles dont seem to go as milky as adults, but look for a pale blue colouration under the spectacle.

Thanks for the pics disasterpiece :) definately a noticible cloudy!
Serpenttongue, my little jungle is 3months old. im pretty sure her overall color is darker... tho she is hiding away for the last couple of days and difficult to get a good look at.
Apologies for my ignorance, but what do you mean 'under the spectacle'?

Here's a cpl pics of my juvi Bredli, there's a pre shed one with a cloudy eye (poor pic, was on phone), & another as he's shedding so you can compare clean skin to old skin
090506-eddy-pre-shed-13586.jpg

090510-eb-shed-9-13595.jpg

Yes those eyes look milky,however its hard to 100% from the angle of that shot.
What you will find is that the eyes will clear then 2-5 days later he/she will shed the old skin.

i've seen them go from a faint light blue tinge which is hardly noticeable, to this

and yeah, your ones look milky to me

Attachments

• sybil_shedding.jpg
    sybil_shedding.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 82
mmmm MIlky :) Well mine ive noticed only once. all all my snakes. some just dont show it as much as others.

from my expericence, either the snake will eat or it will choose not to eat.
even when i know some of my snakes are coming up to a slough i always offer food on feeding days. majority of the times they will always take it, however one male jungle and one female bredli will often retreat back into there hides and refuse to eat. so i leave them be until the next feeding time.
but quite often most will eat, i have had some of them shed only a few hours afterwards. only once i had a problem with one of them getting the skin off, so i just ran a warm bath and helped them out. but if ur worried u can skip the feed. i think snakes will know what they are capable off. cheers
mel

Well, with my baby jungle he just acts weird, then his skin goes lighter than it's usual colour, but I've never noticed cloudy eyes to be honest. But I just look for when his skin goes a lighter colour.

DSC04125.JPG
This is what my bredli looks like before shed!! Although this is the 1st time I saw him like this and he has had 5 sheds since Ive had him so its a bit of luck to catch them at the milky stage...

Nice shot, thanks Bax - love the pics in your link, too btw - i like the one of him by the pool :)

Thanks Scaler, yeah love that shot by the pool even though it was taken on my el cheapo camera!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back