Night heating in cool weather

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

auspython

Reaction score
Hey everyone I own a MD python and im from geelong weather gets very cold here the coolest ive recorded in my home is 16 degrees.. Would i need night heating or not.. do others use night heating in cool weathet... thanks all

No, you don't. I think it's better to have a cycle of warm days and cool nights. You'll find that snakes will curl up in the cool end during the night anyway.

Only use night heat if you feed the snake. In my case, I leave the heat on for a couple of hours longer, then it goes off.

I keep heat on all of the time, but have Habistat day/night thermometers which allow me to control the temperature drop. Our house gets very cold and I don't want my animals to get too cold.

Hey everyone I own a MD python and im from geelong weather gets very cold here the coolest ive recorded in my home is 16 degrees.. Would i need night heating or not.. do others use night heating in cool weathet... thanks all

if it's a hatchy or under a year old YES give it some heat

If you have a set up similar to what I have put in you outher posts then the snake can choose what it wants to do
Unless your breeding you dont need to turn heat off like said befor if you have a hot end and cool Blah blah blah lol

I would say it dpends on the age???? If its young, you want them to grow and be healthy when their smaller. I leave the heat on 24/7 for my BHPs as I feed every 7-10days. They are 18mths now. I wont be cooling them until their alot older in readiness for possible breeding.

Only my opinion

Cheers
Colby

No worries guys.. with the infrared globes they can stay on at night cant they?

my md is on 8 hours of heat only, then what ever the house gets too at night, im in altona man, so it get about the same temp about 16-17. it will be fine, u dont have to smash the heat into them 24/7.

I only heat my animals during the day (except hatchies which get 24/7 heat until they are yearlings). Its normally 12 hours on 12 hours off, Ive considered heating them all 24/7 but think its better to give them a bit of temperature variation.

It amazes me how many people tell there snake what temp to be at instead of allowing the snake to do what it wants

A snake would naturally regulate its own temp even in winter if they wonted to be warm through the night they would fined a nice warm spot in a rocky cave or under a heap of timber etc

But if you just turn there temp off at night they dont get a choice at all

What we do is always have a warm spot even wile breeding they still have access to some form of heat

Anyway that's my say

Lewy

i give all mine heat 24/7.....as mentioned before,it gives em the option of warming up or going to the cool end as they please

And yet Lewy, I can check my snakes once per hour during the night (I have done this numerous times before), and unless they're moving and exploring, they are ALWAYS in the cool end.

And yet Lewy, I can check my snakes once per hour during the night (I have done this numerous times before), and unless they're moving and exploring, they are ALWAYS in the cool end.

Yes I also do this often and they are mostly in the cool end witch is getting down to around 6deg here

But then last night when I went through at around 1am most of my snakes had retreated to the heat

All my enclosure heating is on electronic timers and goes off at 7pm in my herp room. But then the air conditioner timer turns on at 9pm and regulates the tempertaure at 22C until 7am when all the heating comes back on again.

My 4 month old Bredli are in small plastic enclosures with a thermostatically controlled heat mat at one end being the only source of heat. Often, even at night when it's coolest, they'll be curled up in the "cool end" hide (they have one at each end, plus climbing branches), so even in lower temps coming up to winter, they can still want to cool themselves down a fair bit. For the record, the warm end floor temp is 30-31C, the cool end currently gets down to 16-17C at night.

All my adult animals, from MD, Womas, Antaresia, Beardies, geckos,various skinks, get room temps at night, which is about 15 - 18 degress in my reptile room over winter. Some of the northern species may only get up to 5 hours of it though, all heating is run on timers. Hatchlings are all heated 24/7.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back