Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jungle_Fever1

Reaction score
hey all, for those that dont know me my name is Erik,;)

im looking at getting a pair of bhp and womas, but wanted to do bit more research and find out some opinions before the purchases.

i know u pay for the good blood lines and i have no problem in doing so, (but )

whats the big difference between womas of Tanami locale and WA locale, besides the prices.

also if people can recommend some good lines as a start for me, or recommend breeders of both species

much appreciated
cheers:D

Blood Lines and locality specific animals are more expensive.

I believe that part of the reason why WA animals are more specific is that they are not as prevalent in the herp community as their eastern counerparts due laws which govern their collection from the wild, breeding n export to the east.

With womas i believe that depending on locale, will depend on size of the full grown animal i.e. Boodaries tend to be smaller than eastern and definately their SA counterparts, the colouring and banding depending on local - range in darkness, tones (from yellow, to orange, ochre and brown) and clarity of the bands and also believe that the woma spectacles differ from different locales.

Last edited:
It looks like somebody has already said what I was about to post, but here it is anyway.

In a nutshell, not a huge difference at all.
There are indeed heaps of N.T woma’s in captivity and combined with the fact that the majority of these have no traceable precise collection locality information, make some of the W.A ( collected under licence only ) locality specific more desirable.
If you are not sentimental about that sort of thing, then save your self the money.

It is arguable that many of the W.A Pilbara locales are a smaller morph than Tanami animals ( althouigh I think they are ).

It has been written (in Reptiles Australia magazine ) that W.A woma's are darker animals. That statement is rubbish ( relevant perhaps to southern populations ?) and made by someone with next to zero experience viewing woma’s in the wild here in W.A. and many would argue ( in regards to Woma’s from the Pilbara ) the complete opposite.

Sorry PilbaraPython,

I was, however, actually waiting for your post.

But now that we've answered woma locales, what's the difference with WA BHPs to their eastern counterparts.

adbacus
Where do I start with that one? There are at least two distinct morphs in W.A and this often confuses punters. Basically the central-eastern far northern W.A BHPs are no different really than N.T specimens and are of larger size, darker coloration and generally have a better temperament than the much smaller Black and white coloured Pilbara specimens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back