coastal hatchies

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

turtle_alex

Not so new Member
Reaction score
hi all

are coastal hatchies usually very aggressive?
i have recently purchased 1 and it just keeps striking at me for about 10min after i take it out of the enclosure, he is very unpredictible and skittish do they grow out of this, or am i likely to have a snake with a attitude problem, this is a lil concerning as when he gets bigger it might become more of a problem, so does anything think i should sell him and get a more placid species/snake or stick with it for a while.

thxs

dont be too concerned, most hatchies are very cranky, should mellow with age

handle it more and it will adventually become plasid and calm and relaxed when you reach in and pick it up and also handle it. they will sence your fear and react badly to it, if your calm it will be calm. anything that tiny will feel scared with huge hands surounding it its just a defence that they only have. but once you are calm it will be.

you also have to have to animal for 6 months before selling it, its in the rules when you apply for your licence/permit. and in 6 months it should of calmed down and become very placid. you got to give them time to settle into it's new home, which meens no handling for at least 2 weeks and giving it a week after you get it to feed it. these are genual rules all keepers and breeders have to go through. do not handle it at all for 2 weeks. put it in a quiet room where it's quiet and keep it away from kids, animals, or anyone else for 2 weeks. cover the enclosure over during the night and un cover it dueing the day.

but leave it alone so it can get used to it's suroundings. you will find wonce it is settled in it will be less agro and alot more calmer. after the 2 week period you will be able to handle it as much as you like and it shouldn't be so agressive. but it can still bite and be agro any time up to a year of age. I found the biger they got the calmer and more confident they got.

yeah the other replies are spot on nothing to worry about, and as you start getting more experience with it you will become alot more confident in handling, mine is coming up to about 2 yrs old and still every now and then gets a little bit cranky, but one thing i have noticed as he's got older he seems to mainly hiss and false strike but that isnt all that often

Candycaine, we find it quite the opposite, whenever we get any new hatchies in we handle them within a few days and sometime feed within a few days as well - and have had NO PROBLEMS AT ALL.
Usually it is trial and error and to do whatever works for you.
THe biggest thing is to not show fear - a bite from a hatchie is like a couple of pinpricks.

a bite from a hatchie is like a couple of pinpricks
Haha I found out about that last light when I got me two new ones:DThe male was great and got him into his click clack with no probs.The female was a different story,I slid her out of the bag onto my hand,she wrapped around my arm and chewed me a couple of times and struck at any thing that moved:shock:.

I would have done the same after 12 hours of travel and sitting around time

thanks its a lil reasuring to hear the replies, so basically persistence equals less resistance as time goes on
thanks to every1 that helped me out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back