Accie Central

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's awesome. Wish i could make something like that. Well done.

I'm looking at getting some accies i didn't know they liked high enclosures either, i was going to go more for length ...

Just wondering how this set up is going?

I have a 1200 x 1200 x 600 enclosure i am thinking of using for a pair of ackies, and wondering how you have found the height.

I am tossing up whether to suspend a light and just use the bottom of the enclosure or whether to use the height as well, as you have done.

They are doing fine with the height. My son has separated the pair on occasions to ensure that the female was getting enough to eat. They seem to enjoy the height.

In the wild they can live on rocky escarpments so height should not be an issue.

They will find the basking spot where it is, high or low... when they want to bask that is.

I ment whattemp

Sorry. From memory it was not as hot as I was hoping. I think it was in the high 30's C. I usually like to set up the basking site at up to 50C. (For the parents I have and Aussie Sun MVB about 100mm above a brick stack the top of which gets to about 45C. I consider this pretty much ideal.) I could have added another halogen to my son's set up but elected not to.If they were failing to thrive it would be an easy retrofit. Sitting them on the aluminium wire mesh makes adding more and moving them around very straight forward.

i didn't think it would get that hot,
i use a 100w tight beam basking light from exo terra,
gets my hot spot upto 70 on a hot day, usually low 60's

Thats a nice looking enclosure, though I would be concerned about the ambient temps..I'm sure the basking area temps would be fine ( or could be without much effort) but ambients temps are just as ismportant, asp as you live in Melbourne.. for ackies, I'd still like to see ambients at 28 - 30 degrees all year round ( but just for a few hours during winter).

That is not the only heating in the enclosure. There is heat tape under the tiles below the sand pit at the bottom under thermostat control. The temperature in the sand pit is held fairly constant in the mid to high 20's... which of course radiates up.

Thats a nice looking enclosure, though I would be concerned about the ambient temps..I'm sure the basking area temps would be fine ( or could be without much effort) but ambients temps are just as ismportant, asp as you live in Melbourne.. for ackies, I'd still like to see ambients at 28 - 30 degrees all year round ( but just for a few hours during winter).

Wow very different!! How do you go with woodies in there? Feeding time hard?

Daavid,

Nice enclosure, but more suited for any of the tree climbing monitors. Try adding some crevices made out of ply for the ackies, they will feel more secure.

Its a mypth that ackies are rock monitors. They will live around rocky escarpments if they are handy, but mostly live on the flat soil plains across most of Northern Australia in tunnel systems they have dug. You can be 2 to 3 hundred miles from any rocky outcrops, put down sum tar drums and within a few days there are ackies under them. Its just easier to find the lazy ones living in the rock outcrops.

Wow very different!! How do you go with woodies in there? Feeding time hard?

The whole thing is woodie proof, something that was designed in from the start. However I believe my son is now feeding them mostly non live food these days.

Daavid,

Nice enclosure, but more suited for any of the tree climbing monitors. Try adding some crevices made out of ply for the ackies, they will feel more secure.

Its a mypth that ackies are rock monitors. They will live around rocky escarpments if they are handy, but mostly live on the flat soil plains across most of Northern Australia in tunnel systems they have dug. You can be 2 to 3 hundred miles from any rocky outcrops, put down sum tar drums and within a few days there are ackies under them. Its just easier to find the lazy ones living in the rock outcrops.

Bob,

I would love to be able to keep some of the small arboreal monitors but few, any?? are allowed on the Victorian books. Gavin did have some on display at Saturday's expo... actually he had a lot of things we cannot keep on display. (I think Gavin has a poor sense of humour!)

I will pass the crevice tip on to my son. His pair do not seem at all stressed but less stress is always a good thing.

Would you mind speaking to my parents for me, thats exactly what i want!!! lol Great enclosure!! love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back