Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jazza369

Reaction score
hey i went to a snake keepers yesterday to get the shed off his head its all ready off his body, he tryed to get if but could not get it so he showed me what to do and told me to go home and do it, he said put the snake in a thing of water and put a little bit of fabric softer in it ( no more then 2 teaspoons) for about 20-30L of water so thats what he was in there for about 20 mins or so them i took him out and got the shed off him but 3hrs later he died was it form the fabric softer?
thanks for your help

It could have been that or a number of other factors.

It could have gotten fluid in the lungs, over stressed it by time, temperature and the depth of the fluid.

Can you provide more info - What snake is it? size? depth and temperature of water/fabric softener?
What did you do exactly?

Im so sorry to hear about your loss, but we do need to know more info on the snake and what exactly happened as adbacus has said.

umm did you put your snake in a 30l bucket? for 20mins?
were you watching your pythons within this 20 mins?

when they are being put in water (other then the water dish) the water should only be just enough to cover the sankes body imo

Last edited:
also its suppose to be non fragrance ,,,did you use the non frangrance for sensitive skin type?
and as was said ,you were suppose to watch your snake ...I rather the warm wet towel or pillowcase to help get the shed off ...anyway sorry about your snake :(

sorry for your loss,. but it may have been better to ask our opinion before you actually done it!
There is no reason to use fabric softener!
Poor snake :(
luke warm water on its own should have got the shed off,. either that or inside a damp pillowcase for 10 mins.

What temp was the water? Some people do use a couple of drops of detergent in the water when soaking snakes to help loosen a stuck shed,the detergent acts as a wetting agent.I highly doubt the scent from fabric softener would be the cause.

Didn't you just lose an olive as well?

Last edited:
Snake Keeper

First of all I am sorry for your loss.

Second of all I would go and punch the snake keeper in the face (but hey that's what I would do) as the info he gave you was blatantly incorrect and dangerous and in your case had deadly consequences

Third) What kind of a snake keeper did you go to? Sounds like a witch doctor to me.

In hindsight it's easy for people to say should have asked hear first but as it's obvious that you are new to herps you can be excused. If you are going to own animals of any kind you must do your homework first and by that I mean buy a good book and read it. Then you read it again. You then join a site like this and gain as much info as possible before even contemplating a purchase of any animal.

I am not trying to give you a lecture as that is not what my intentions are I am only trying to let you and others out there understand that getting the right knowledge is vital to avoind heart breaking problems like this.

Your animal died from poisoning or drowning (depending on the size of the snake). No need to go further.

If you have a snake that is having trouble shedding you can soak him in luke warm water and that's it. You must always make sure the water does'nt go over his body and that he is only soaking not drenching or drowning.

I've had snakes that have trouble with sheds and I have placed them in click clacks or larger containers (depending on the size) and all I have placed in the container is drenched paper towell. I then place back in the enclosure and let the humidity do the rest. You may need to assist it but once it has become moist it comes off easily.

I would be really interested in knowing how big your snake was as 20 L container sounds awfully big for the average snake. did you have a lid on top?

Never place any chemical such as fabric softner as the snake can easilt digest it and become poisoned and if the water is over it's head it can drown.

he was a 6 and a half ft coastal carpet python (nice and fat) i was wacthing the holer time he was in a 60L tub with about 1/3 of it full ( just so his body cause sook and he put his head under the water and straight back out a couple of times and just like 2 table spoons of fabric softer in it
peopole are also saying on hear that just use water and all that stuff ( of ******ing couse i did all tha first ) i know your all just trying to help but yeah he was a very health snake a have had him for a year now and i did this as a last resort

Sorry for your loss. With a large volume of water of unknown temperature, there are many things that may go wrong. Even residual chemicals in a bucket could be a problem. My first choice for retained shed is a lukewarm, damp (thoroughly wrung out) towel. I hold the snake wrapped loosely in this for a few minutes and then let it wriggle out. This works brilliantly and involves no chemicals, excess fluid, excess heat or unsupervised time. After a few minutes of dampening, you can help pull of the retained bits if necessary. Did this for my spotted yesterday.

People are trying to help and stop either yourself or someone else making the same mistake so I do not know why you made the comment *********ng did.

The water should be luke warm and no chemicals placed in it end of story now go buy a book and read it.

sad to hear about the loss, but fabric softner? im no vet or expert but its designed to clean clothes not animals. on the back of the fabric softner i have, it reads -
eye contact: if product contacts eyes,rinse throughly with water and seek medical advice.
if swallowed: seek medical advice. > this sounds like something that nothing should be emerged in.
but what happened isnt your fault, you took advice from someone you believed knew what they are talking about.

One of mine had a really bad shed once, and i worked on her every day for a month before all of the extra skin came off. but it comes off eventually.
No need for fabric softner in my oppinion.
Its poision - i dont think id wanna put it anywhere near my snake, let alone have their entire body soaking in it.
Unfortunately the person you chose to take advice off sounds like a dope.
Sorry to hear about the outcome Jazza :(

did the shed come ov by its self or did u peel it off? if u peeled it of then thats why it wouldnt have been ready to shed it could have dried up . i have had this happen to me once

if you had of wet a pillow case with luke warm water, them rung all water out of it. then put your snake in there for about 30 minutes im sure the retained shed would of been removed and you would still have your snake. sorry for your loss

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back