Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
general rule of thumb if it says poision on the bottle its probably poisionous

If you have a really difficult shed there are comercial products that can SAFELY help. I use ESU Reptile shed ease, worked when my RBBS kept an eye scale, spray twice a day , no problems.

Fabric softener! Thats amazing. Is this a regular practise?

Dunno whether u r being sarcastic or not, but for the newbies out there:

Nope. Definately not. There are different ways.

Bathing in plain warm water for 5-10 mins in a shallow container usually works. Some people state to use a litte chamomile tea, as it is a natural moisturiser and some suggest that it is a mite repellant.

I prefer to use a warm, damp ankle sock for hatchies and childreni so they can easily exit if required, or a warm damp towel/pillow slip rolled to also allow for easy access and exit. Place the snake in damp cloth and place in the warmer end of the vivarium n leave 10-15 min n check. Allow longer time for co****r sheds.

i posted advice last night about problematic shedding and cases that have been coming in to the clinics and shelter..like most good people on here have said, soaking in luke warm water is good, or rub vitamin E cream on your hands and then all over your snakes problem areas (can do this daily) or olive oil is another great alternative.

have you let the 'snake keeper' know that your snake has died? perhaps it would be a good idea to let them know that it is not the best advice and you would recommend they do not give such advice to others in the future.

the water was aroung 28 so not to hot and not to cold and i had tryed alot of thing first but could not get it off, it help to get it off but at a cost the life of my 6 and a 1/2 ft coastal i will neva be useing it again and if some else out there can save there snakes life by not useing the fabric softer
and thank you to every who said sorry for your loss it does help

i posted advice last night about problematic shedding and cases that have been coming in to the clinics and shelter..like most good people on here have said, soaking in luke warm water is good, or rub vitamin E cream on your hands and then all over your snakes problem areas (can do this daily) or olive oil is another great alternative.

have you let the 'snake keeper' know that your snake has died? perhaps it would be a good idea to let them know that it is not the best advice and you would recommend they do not give such advice to others in the future.

Yes i have le the snake keeper know
he was very upset to hear that as he has 30+ snake and he uses it when one of them have a bad shed when the warm water does not work

Jazza ...I have seen a fair few people say to use fabric softner ,so you were not to know ...as was said very sorry about your snake ,I only use the wet pillowcase or wet towel ,if a standard warm bath doesnt work ,sometimes they need that bit of abrasive texture to help so this is why the towel works well ,especially if you have an old scratchy one .

Sorry 4 your loss

their is such a thing called skin shed! Next time use it! Dilute that & let it swim in that!:cry:

i've seen the fabric softener trick mentioned so many times on here in the past and no one ever said anything bad about it,...i'd also never seen it should be scent free or to make sure it wasnt 'poison'.

its not something i'd ever contemplated using myself, but from teh amount of times i've seen it mentioned it sounded like common practice,...

i'm sorry for ur loss, u thought u were doing the right thing but sadly ur snake died cos some idiot confidently gave u bad information,...

if u notice ur snake is dry or not shedding properly that can be fixed by correcting the setup, a snake in the 'perfect' environment shouldnt need help shedding.

hope ur ok.

I'm really sorry for your loss Jazza.

Just a question in general, wouldn't a water temperature of around 28 degrees be a little too warm to leave a snake soaking in? I would have thought around 22 - 23 degrees... again, just a general question borne out of curiosity, most certainly not having a go.

Luke warm

Luke warm....meaning just that. I reckon the 22 degrees would be about luke warm.

By the way I hope you are learning......it's tough when things like these happen and unfortunately if we don't make mistakes in our lives then we don't learn. Chin up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back