First time snake owner, help!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

beccakelly

Reaction score
I'm looking at getting a snake for the first time but I don't know a thing about it! After doing a little research I was thinking of purchasing a Stimson Python, but I don't know anything about prices, licenses, how to care for a snake or what kind of living arrangements they need?
If anyone could give me a little help I'd appreciate it so much :)

That's the kind of research you need to do ;) First, it depends where you're located. If you live outside of Australia, I can't help you. If you're in Australia, your licencing will depend on that state or territory. Once we know where you live, we can help you further.

The care and husbandy (including living arrangements) will depend upon the snake you buy. Stimsons pythons are excellent choices. So are spotteds, coastal carpets, bredli carpets, etc. Have a look around at what you want (make sure it's only Australian pythons), then dig further into that. Also, buying some good books won't go astray. "Keeping and Breeding Australian Pythons" is an excellent book. There are a few others also.

if you live in NSW you will need to apply for a Class one license which you can use to get stimsons pythons. Have a read about the reptile and what you will need to do for it. such as
-life span and size
-enclosure (for stimsons atleast an enclosure about 60cm long)
-temperature for species
-what it eats
-price (have a look on the snake ranch website, i believe they have stimsons available, and they will answer any questions you have. i get my pythons from there and i find that they are really good)

Find you nearest Herp group, they will be your biggest asset.

kensai said:
Find you nearest Herp group, they will be your biggest asset.

I haven't found herp groups to be helpful at all. I go there, have some lunch, look at what people are selling (which is pointless since I wasn't buying anything), hardly talk about anything husbandry and care related (which is expected, since it's assumed most of the people there already own reptiles, and those that have been in the hobby longer wouldn't really want to sit through a lecture on the care of blue tongues and spotteds everytime they go), and then look at all the animals people took there, and decided that introducing possible disease into my collection wasn't worth going there.

I can interact and learn with just as knowledgeable people on forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back