How to fix a bad / retained shed

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

andyscott

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Its great to see a lot of new commers to this hobby.
To help with one of the most common questions. I thought Id do this thread,
so it can be found in the search funtion.

Most of the time a bad shed happens to young snakes due to stress and/or housing, low humidity or mites.
The best thing you can do to stop a bad shed, is set up the enclosure in a way that the snake feels secure.
Here are 4 simple steps.

1st, Have at least 2 hides in the enclosure, one at the hot end, one at the cool end.
While the snake is still young, it is best to face the entrances of the hides towards the back.
This will help the animal feel more secure.

2nd, Have a water bowl / tub in the enclosure that is big enough for the snake to soak in.
A large enough bowl / tub will also help raise the humidity.

3rd, Have some climbing branches or logs in the enclosure, this will give your animal something to rub against and assist in its shedding.

4th, Do not use a substreight the absorbs moisture, this will dry out the enclosure and contribute to shedding problems.

Even if you are doing all the right things, sometimes a healthy and established snake can have a bad shed out of the blue.
So here are some photos and steps to assist an animal with retained shed.

pic 1, Even though this Olive python is a very relaxed and established animal, she had a bad shed last week.

pic 2, Soak the snake in a tub of warm water (about 28 to 30 degrees) for about 20 minutes.

pic 3, A lot of the time, most of the retained skin would have already come off while soaking.
Any retained skin still on the animal, can be removed by gentility rubbing around the edges with a soft towl.

pic 4, If the skin dosnt come away easily like this, re-warm the water in the tub and soak the snake for another 10 minutes.

Pic 5, The same Olive the day after, clear of all retained shed, basking on her branch.

Attachments

• s1.jpg
    s1.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 211
  • s2.jpg
    s2.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 180
  • s3.jpg
    s3.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 179
  • s4.jpg
    s4.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 183
  • Pro pic Olivia.jpg
    Pro pic Olivia.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 180
Here is a part of a post I added a few days ago as some one had accidentally killed their snake using fabric softener in the water:

Bathing in plain warm water for 5-10 mins in a shallow container usually works. Some people state to use a litte chamomile tea, as it is a natural moisturiser and some suggest that it is a natural mite repellant.

I prefer to use a warm, damp ankle sock for hatchies and childreni so they can easily exit if required, or a warm damp towel/pillow slip rolled to also allow for easy access and exit. Place the snake in damp cloth and place in the warmer end of the vivarium n leave 10-15 min n check. Allow longer time for coar.ser sheds.

The aim of placing the snake in a damp cloth is to allow the snake to remove retained shed by themselves when they move.

Good one Andy, should definetly be made a sticky. One of my Bhp's is going through a bad shed at the moment, hes been soaking himself in his water bowl and almost has all the old skin off.

Definitely a must have for the newcomers,I freaked out the first time i had to deal with it.I think the snake did to.
I now kitty litter looks great but it causes so many problems with moisture absorption.For another natural remedy ive used paw paw cream just a thought.

What am I doing wrong? My snakes only got one hide and I don't go near them when they're sloughing and they can't fit in their water bowls :( Yet allways perfect sloughs.

What am I doing wrong? My snakes only got one hide and I don't go near them when they're sloughing and they can't fit in their water bowls :( Yet allways perfect sloughs.

Hayden, I know you have many years experiance.
Even though your 17, I know you started very young and nothing beats hands on experiance.
In saying that, I dont understand why you would bother posting at all.

This thread is to help new commers to the hobby.
Im tired of the arrogance a lot of the experianced keepers have (and there is more than a few).
A lot of keepers forget that they were new once too.

Everyone devolops their own ways of doing things, through their own experiance.
This thread is just a guide line, to help those that need it.
I belive that the more people that become involved in this hobby, the better it is for all in this hobby.

If there are any experianced keepers that are interested in helping others and have constructive points to add, please add to this thread.

good on ya andy, it annoys me also! but ive been told put the smake in a large container and place a warm wet towel over them, it worked for my little costal a while back and since then he has been all good

Thanks for the imput Horto.
As ive stated, there a many ways of doing things, damp pillow case, wet towel, or the tub method I used.

The reason I use the tub over other methods, is that you dont have to keep a close eye on the animal.
You can clean the enclosure while its is swimming around in a warm bath.

Thank you for this thread Andy,
I have not had a problem with bad sheds (knock wood) but this definitely makes me feel more confident if I do encounter it (when more than if)

Another vote for sticky +1

I try work permitting to give a twice daily light misting with water after the eyes go milky. Just use a cheap spray bottle kept warm on the top of an enclosure.

Have heard chamomile (as in a weak tea mix) in the water is good but haven't tried it personally.

Cheers
Octance

good work andy, certainly will help some new keepers.

One thing that should be in the enclosure is a hygrometer, i usually ensure that humidity levels are at 50% minimum when the snakes in shed. A light mist every day or 2 always helps.

Nice work Andy
You should post a few more of these types of threads and see if they can be kept short sharp and shiny!
better yet - may I suggest that you do a "care sheet" and post it on your profile for newbies to download?? That would help a lot too.
I will be passing this thread onto a friend of mine that is having sheding issues as I think it may help her!

Well done

Its great to see a lot of new commers to this hobby.
To help with one of the most common questions. I thought Id do this thread,
so it can be found in the search funtion.

Most of the time a bad shed happens to young snakes due to stress and/or housing, low humidity or mites.
The best thing you can do to stop a bad shed, is set up the enclosure in a way that the snake feels secure.
Here are 4 simple steps.

1st, Have at least 2 hides in the enclosure, one at the hot end, one at the cool end.
While the snake is still young, it is best to face the entrances of the hides towards the back.
This will help the animal feel more secure.

2nd, Have a water bowl / tub in the enclosure that is big enough for the snake to soak in.
A large enough bowl / tub will also help raise the humidity.

3rd, Have some climbing branches or logs in the enclosure, this will give your animal something to rub against and assist in its shedding.

4th, Do not use a substreight the absorbs moisture, this will dry out the enclosure and contribute to shedding problems.

Even if you are doing all the right things, sometimes a healthy and established snake can have a bad shed out of the blue.
So here are some photos and steps to assist an animal with retained shed.

pic 1, Even though this Olive python is a very relaxed and established animal, she had a bad shed last week.

pic 2, Soak the snake in a tub of warm water (about 28 to 30 degrees) for about 20 minutes.

pic 3, A lot of the time, most of the retained skin would have already come off while soaking.
Any retained skin still on the animal, can be removed by gentility rubbing around the edges with a soft towl.

pic 4, If the skin dosnt come away easily like this, re-warm the water in the tub and soak the snake for another 10 minutes.

Pic 5, The same Olive the day after, clear of all retained shed, basking on her branch.
Hi, thanks for the information re shedding. Our BHP has never managed a full shead. I use to bath him as you discribed and he would completely shed after rubbing up against his rocks etc. in the enclosure.
After our last annual check at the vet he pronounced Tigger a healthy snake.. good size etc..(though I was concerned I was not feeding him enough - our vet is quite consevative) any how I mentioned to him at this point that he had never shed in one piece and that I had to bath him.. He promptly told me I had to stop doing that, that my enclosure was all wrong and that he would develope blister disease. I was to rub vit E cream on him liberally if he was having trouble sloughing. I am now quite confused and lost all confidence. The vet said a snake that did not slough properly continually was very unhealthy.. Another point was that the varience in temp in the enclosure was not enough. At the time it was summer and the outside temp was the same as if not hotter than the setting of the thermometer/thermastat but I added more ventilation vents for increased air flow as advised yet ..it has not made much difference. I think I will invest in a infra red temperature prob/gun so I can spot check the temps in different locations ie rocks, hide box etc.. What do you think could be making tigger so unhealthy? on the odd occasion too, (since Jan) he has bleed from his cloaca (spot of blood) when I had a closer look it looks like there are scales still attached on either side? I am concerned but not sure what to do. (I have re bathed him dispite vets advise as I did now what to do and it had been working quite well for the 12 months before). Tigger is now 19 months old. I also give him soluable vitamins, rub vit e cream on him regularly (1-2 weekly). He gets a couple of adult mice fortnightly. Feeds no trouble.
Would appreciate some advise as I am very new to reptiles. Worried I am slowly killing him and thinking of giving it up. (The snake is my daughters pet but I hate to think we are getting it wrong)

Nice thread andyscott, I ve had my share of bad shedding snakes and that is exactly what I do. Sometimes they don't need the soak, just the wet towel.
A fast way to up the humidity in an enclosure is put a wet rock,brick or paver near the heated end.

+1 to sticky it.

Good advice andy. The more info we can have for newbies, the better.
Josh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back