Mousie Pix

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am currently striving for a colony of white mice. Yep, plain old boring white, red-eyed mice.

Pretty much the same as what I'm doing :) I have mostly albino mice at present with a few coloured ones left, I won't be replacing the coloured ones once they're gone. Only problem is my coloured mice seem to be breeding better than the albinos at this point, so while I have the coloured ones, I'm trying to mix the genes to get better albino breeders. Might be getting some better albino mice soon to add to my gene pool too :D

Gee im the opposite. :lol: Ive only got albino and a handful of siamese mice, thinking about switching over to coloured.

Although albinos are good as then im not tempted to keep any cute ones. I will want to keep every 2nd coloured that pops out. :shock:

Gee im the opposite. :lol: Ive only got albino and a handful of siamese mice, thinking about switching over to coloured.

Although albinos are good as then im not tempted to keep any cute ones. I will want to keep every 2nd coloured that pops out. :shock:

I've been trying to hunt down siamese rats for ages and could never find anyone who has them, but I could settle for siamese mice. I would make an exception for them, but otherwise I think I'd be the same, I'd want to keep a lot of them if they were coloured... probably best I stick with white.

Wow there are some pretty little animals. I might have to find some of the hairy ones though. They look really cute. Not gonna pay a fortune for them though. I use to have long haired mice (not rex but like silky rats) but lost the lines somewhere.

I have two siamese mice now. Will have to get a picture of them together. One thing with these guys though, they aren't pointed right from the start. They start off as creamy/bony colours and as they mature the darker points start to come through. So don't throw away any creamies until you're sure they are showing they true colours.

I have been busy modifying plastic tubs to suit my colonies. If I must say so myself I think I've done a reasonable job at mutulating the tubs. But, if it means the animals get a bit more room, or the mother rats being separated so they can have their peace, I don't care what the tubs look like so long as they do the job. I use a soldering iron to melt a big hole out of the lid and then use cable ties to secure a piece of bird wire mesh over the hole. Electrical tape holding on a piece of flyscreen to keep the flies off them, too. Not professional but something the not so adventurous can do.

I've been trying to hunt down siamese rats for ages and could never find anyone who has them, but I could settle for siamese mice. I would make an exception for them, but otherwise I think I'd be the same, I'd want to keep a lot of them if they were coloured... probably best I stick with white.

Thats because there are no siamese rats in Australia. Not allowed to import from overseas either due to diseases.

Apparently though, ONE person in Syd has a siamese rat that was stupidly smuggled into Aus. He's also breeding from her and getting himalayan rats but he's not letting any go so i dunno if he's full of it or really does have a siamese.

Of all the different sort of mice Ive had over the years - burmese, curlies, manxs, lotsa diff colours, I get them all from petshops locally and they pretty much all cost the same regardless.

Finally got some pics of my black and white mice. They aren't anything fancy but still look quite cute when lots of black and white bodies are racing around the place.

Attachments

• 018.jpg
    018.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 40
  • 015.jpg
    015.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 46
  • 020.jpg
    020.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 38
1st pic.......I dont know what breed these mice are(not a rodent enthusiest myself),, but they are the fastest most alert & active little bliders i have ever seen,, Never ever are they sluggish... They are big, but not massive,, & all muscle,, not a lot of fat..I am thinking that the healthier & sportier my mice are, my elapids can only benifit... just like us eating subway v's Mackers!!

2nd pic.......I am also going to try something,, I went out west on a friends massive farm & went about traping wild jumping field mice.. I am quranteening them & worming them out over a few months.... Then i am going to put some of my "sporty" mice in with them & see if i can get a super strong/active/fast super breed colany happening... These field mice are after all what our native snakes have been living on before we started caging them.. Also less chance of fatty caused diseases in the snakes.

Attachments

• IMG_2547.jpg
    IMG_2547.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_2574.jpg
    IMG_2574.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 48
:lol: 2nd pic must be a biter. Look at the glove the guy is wearing. I have some wild mice around my shed with white patches. I have a little chocolate one with a white spot on its head out and keeps showing his face as if he is laughing at me. Coz I can't catch him :lol: Little bugger.

I recently put my mice on coco peat stuff too, and its great! I can walk in the shed without being KO'd by the stench of 20 or so mice.
I tend to sort through all the cool colours in the females to keep too. Nothing great tho.

:lol: 2nd pic must be a biter. Look at the glove the guy is wearing.

They are biters alright:eek: had them for 6 weeks now,,, But i have to say they are calming down now a fair bit... Still i wasnt going to risk it just for a pic!! But they are great little mice, the mouse wheel is spinning 24/7.

No-smell mice

WELL NOT EXACTLY.... BUT TWO THINGS YOU CAN DO WILL GIVE THAT IMPRESSION FIRSTLY BY PUTTING A COUPLE OF HANDFULLS OF [NATTY KAT] [LUCERNE PELLETS VERSION] IN THEIR ENCLOSURE AND SECONDLY BY BUYING A..." FRESHMATIC" AIR WICK DISPENSOR THESE ARE FANTASTIC WITH THE LARGE SIZE COSTING ABOUT $13.00 IN WOOLIES...THEY LAST FOR TWO MONTHS WITH REFILLS [AEROSOL] COSTING APPROX. $6.00...YOU CAN SET THESE TO GO OFF AT DIFFERENT TIME INTERVALS...I BELIEVE IN A ROOM OR SHED WILL VIRTUALLY REMOVE ALL [99%] OF THOSE NICE LITTLE RODENT AROMAS....HOPE THIS HELPS CHEERS SOLAR 17 [BADEN] :) :rolleyes: :lol:

is there a website that shows u the different types of mice breeds...i hav set up but considered them all for snake food...just out of interest i would like to get a little more knowledge on breed types for mice and rats cause i've got some funky colours goin on must have 30plus different types, some i dare say would be bitzers??

Be careful using american sites as a guide as Australia doesn't have half the variety overseas does.

Just be careful the "freshmatic" airwick doesn't disburb your rodents. They have a very sensitive nose! Perfumes, aftershave (and even strangers) can affect mice and rats. (not that it was a bad idea Solar :)
I'd love to breed my own colonies of mice and rats (for food and pretty colours) but hubby is allergic :-(
I resort to making my sister breed her rats for me.
Kim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back