Could This Be a tank?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vassallo2008

Reaction score
Ive gotten a free

3 foot high x 6 foot long x 2 foot wide.

Its a glass display cabinet with sliding front glass doors its glass all round and

the bottom has mirror but itll be covered with substrate. tho how would i heat it.

It looks exactly like this but bigger.

th_alpha_counter.jpg

Its awesome.. I was thinking of using it for an ackie..

how could i convert it.. for lights and vents. i was considering taking the back and top glass out and replacing it with melamine? or Plywood.

Any suggestiong of anything else it could be used for?

Thanks Ben.

yea you could use it you could make a lid out of mesh and put a basking platform higher up if the lid is mesh then it should have enough air ventalation.cheers

i would be awsome.

put in a perspex substrate guard strip (with silicon) and replace the top layer of glass with a strong wire mesh. sit your lamps in top, and throw in a huge log :)

yeh Im seriously considering it or i may sell it.. What would something like this sell for anybody know?
Also what else could i keep in it?

Are they the exact measurements of it? & is it all sealed up nicely?

Would be cool for Jungles & EWD's...but is it fairly strong the glass?

Not sure of the EXACT measurments. its Sealed quite nicely The glass is 8-10m think not sure but its pretty thick. ill get some pics up of the exact one.

I've seen a few getting around for sale pretty cheap, and i have seen a few as enclosures, they look great but if you live in a cold area the glass can be vunerable to heat loss

The same as a fishtank tho right?

how do you mean? heat wise? even fish tanks loose heat easy , but for alot of reptiles it dosn't matter if their ok with lower temps, or you can just add extra heating

Well with my 3 foot fishtank i have my beardies in its alot harder to maintain temps then in a melamine enclosure. would this be the same?

Personally i could see it as a great tank if you replace the glass shelving (it does look like it has 2 shelves) with wooden ones - cut to suit with various levels (rough shaped holes cut out of the wood for the snake to reach each level).
The lid would be heavy enough so that it cant be pushed up or off and have a fluro light built into the lid.
The walls (mainly the back wall) could have those photo jungle patterns that you buy at the pet shops that are taped onto the back or sides of the glass (So it hides the glass walls)
And finally for heating - INSTEAD of a fugly lamp (and the necessary cage to go round it for the snakes protection) I would use a heat mat on the floor of the cage UNDER the substrate, with a hide sitting on top so the snake can curl up UNDER the hide but on the heatmat. The power cable that would have to go up and out via the roof could be discreetly hidden with the jungle vines and/or green plants.

Just food for thought - esp, regarding the heating - I am a big fan of the heat mats (and not a fan of the lamps).

Good luck

Keep it Vass!

Spend some time fixing it up and making it look purdy, then post pics :D

It definately could be something great!

Keep it vasoline boy ...have a hunt around on the net and get some good ideas ...dont rush it have a good head scratch and if you have some crafty relo's get them in on the act as well ...should make a good enclosure ..good FREE pick up :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back