Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Out of curiosity...
Is their any difference in cross breeding snakes then their is cross breading cats, dogs etc?
Is their any scientific reason you cant , or just that people shouldnt play god? morals etc..
I wouldn't cross breed, i think they are fine as they are. I do not condone the practice

Crossing dogs and cats is not hybrid breeding. Regardless of the variety - whether its a kelpie to a shaggy dog, or a siamese cat to a moggy, all dogs come under the Genus Canis lupus familiaris. Crossing a dog with say a dingo or wolf Canis lupus would be considered hybrid as they are different species. all domestic cats are Felis catus. So really all you are doing is crossbreeding variety not species.

All snakes are a species of their own. Although there are many different carpet snakes they have all been classified as separate species - due to special traits supported by one and not the other such as one adapted to living in tropics but would die in Tassie, or visa versa.

ok thanks for the replys , it makes a bit more sense now, what about breeding withing the same species, E.g spotted with stimson? is that still a no no? do they count as the same species cause they are antaresia ? or does the maculosa and stimsoni mean they are different .
sorry about all the questions, the thread just got me thinking about the topic.

Some nice looking snakes there, those Bredli Diamonds are really unusual.

*douses self in fire retardent*

any one ever breed or considered breeding say a port mac (natural inter grade diamond X coastal)
back to a pure diamond, or a pure coastal? where would such an animal fit in the argument.
would it be condemned because its a hybrid? and who's to say that if it was a wild animal that it would look for another diamond X coastal as its mate? if a coastal OR a diamond was available would it chose to wait untill it found another intergrde to mate with ... i dont think so...

Yes, for those that believe pure strains are it and condemn everything else, a port mac x diamond or coastal would be hated. The difference is that a natural integrade is natural, whereas a hybrid is not. You don't find bredlis and diamonds breeding in the wild, etc.

*douses self in fire retardent*

any one ever breed or considered breeding say a port mac (natural inter grade diamond X coastal)
back to a pure diamond, or a pure coastal? where would such an animal fit in the argument.
would it be condemned because its a hybrid? and who's to say that if it was a wild animal that it would look for another diamond X coastal as its mate? if a coastal OR a diamond was available would it chose to wait untill it found another intergrde to mate with ... i dont think so...

This topic is NEVER going to have an easy answer. Intergrades are naturally occuring species where two species have overlapped at boundaries. For you to breed a diamond to a coastal, or an intergrade to either diamond or coastal would be classed as a hybrid? Why? Because intergrades have existed for centuries. They have evolved over the years to adapt to an envirnoment that either a coastal or diamond may not thrive as well.

What we have in captivity, I guess we really can only take the word of the breeder that they on-bred intergrades or coastalx diamonds. I doubt there would be a lot of difference in the way they look. I have queried this myself, wondering about my own pythons but I have it on expert advice that considering the ppl I bought them from, and the fact they they were covered in ticks and full of worms, it is believed that they may very well be wild caught. The sellers insisted they weren't, but I have learnt a lot over the few years I've ha them to consider that it is a possibility. Of course when you weren't the one to breed them, you can only ever speculate - if evidence supports other thoughts it doesn't hurt to ask but sometimes this may offend breeders.

jeez..i have heaps:D
not sure if these count

first is a diamond x jungle

diamondxjunglecarpet.jpg

a few jags

jaguarcarpet.gif

djj.jpg

irian jaya x jag (plus one including colour change

bullwinkle.jpg

irianjayajaguar.jpg

Last edited:
i think its funny how people post pics of intergrades and people say that there really nice when their dull and not that attractive, but when someone post pics of a hybrid coastal x diamond that looks really nice high yellow ect people say its hideous :p

jmo lol

tiger carpet

tigercarpet.gif

PS
i did get alot of these off links via google images

PSS
some are not necessarily hybrids but are still pretty;)

every one to the own i guess, there are enough people out there now on the pro-morph side of the fence to start the hobby 'evolving' over hear. IF everyone was ANT-MORPH it would retard the hobby and we'd all be back in the dark ages!. i do disagree with hybrids, but morphs are something else, and i LIKE morphs.

heck theres a few redused prospin coastals out there now that look like the jungle jaugs , less the intence yellow that comes from the jungle as they are NOT hybrids. but still verry nice looking snakes. wouldent mind getting a few my self.

Thought i'd chuck a lizard in to show that it isn't just snakes that hybridise in the reptile world, Shingleback x Eastern Bluey....

Ben

Attachments

• Shingleback x eastern 003.jpg
    Shingleback x eastern 003.jpg
    233.8 KB · Views: 230
awsome stuff, except the boring looking ones, I love those jags, I wouldnt mind a jungle x jag or something, they are awsome snakes, dont buy for the type, buy them if you like them, hybrids are fine if there been sold as what they are, they look awsome anyway. antaresia hybrids around? I have seen one, but it wasnt that good. come on people stop whinging and go start a whinge thread, we want pics not pages of crap. thanks.

what happened to the pic herpkeeper posted? that one was a stunner! :D

what happened to the pic herpkeeper posted? that one was a stunner! :D
wot was the pic herpkeeper posted i missed it :(
for some reason my post got deleted didnt really hurt any1 so i dont see why it got deleted i didnt swear or anything

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back