Saving wet electronics?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

abbott75

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Is there any way to save an electrical appliance that has been wet and not removed from power for some time (hours).

The item is an electronic racing pigeon clock, and they aren't cheap, so I'd really like to save this one rather than buy a new one.

It was wet, but not noticed and the power was left on. It wasn't until it was unplugged and moved that it was noticed. I've tried everything I can think of to dry it and it is 'working' but what looks like has happened id the circuits have gotten crossed in the water because the buttons do the job of other buttons now. If that makes sense.

Any ideas on getting it back to pre-rain condition :(

Adam

dry it out i did this with my watch (not water proof) i put it in an empty enclosure for a few houres and dont power it up untill its completly dry

dry it out i did this with my watch (not water proof) i put it in an empty enclosure for a few houres and dont power it up untill its completly dry

I'm fairly sure it is dry, it's been left in the sun, blow dried, left on top of the TV, left overnight in a bowl of moisture absorbers... it turns on when plugged it, but the buttons don't do what they're meant to, so it is still pretty useless.

I think I'm going to have to open it up and see if there is any corrosion crossing circuits.

:cry:

If you can get the clock apart use Isopropyl to clean the circuit board as this does not leave a residue you can get this in most electronics shops as a spray. Spray the circuit board than use a tooth brush to scrub the board. This will remove any corrosion.
you can PM me for any questions
:D

What was it wet by?
Kaos is on the right track here, it seems like there's a permanent short somewhere(s). Either a sticky residue, or corrosion is making contacts.

Go to Dick Smith/Tandy/JayCar and get some alcohol as suggested.

Thanks guys. It was wet by the rain, got into the protective cover.

It's actually more like a computer than a traditional clock, using RFID for timing.

Adam

I read some where that you could put it in a bowl of rice. The rice will draw the moisture out.

you were probably listening to JJJ or ABC radio cause someone asked what to do and the all-knowing all-powerful Dr Carl said to put it in rice.

Thanks for the help guys. I ended up enquiring about getting it repaired (or even looked at) by a qualified technician... It was going to cost half as much as buying a new one and take 3-4 months because there isn't anybody in Australia who repairs them. So I've bitten the bullet and got a new one. Thanks KRUDD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back