Stuff to do around Darwin

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smacdonald

Reaction score
Hi all,

This time of year in SE Queensland isn't exactly the best for finding reptiles. So I'm thinking about flying north for the winter and having a poke around Darwin. I know it's not the ideal time of year to go there, but I probably won't have any time over Spring/Summer as I'll be travelling around Queensland. Can anyone give me some info on good spots for stuff in the wild around Darwin? I'm particularly interested in semi-aquatic colubrids, like bockadams and mangrove snakes. I'll no doubt go to Fogg Dam and Kakadu, but I I'm keen to hear about other fruitful locations.

Thanks,

Stewart

Berry springs is a beautiful place to see Stewart, we would take the kids often to the water holes for a swim .

Bocks, mcleays and mangroves seem to all be lucky finds up here. In 12 years i've seen 1 wild mcleays, 2 wild mangroves and 2 bocks. Places i've seen bocks and mangrives are rapid creek and race course creek right at the top of an incoming tide. All have been in the water and just passing by (the bock was an awesome red\). I saw the mcleays at florence falls??? i think. Again it just swam by. All were in the late afternoon.

Hey Gordo,

I remember back in the day, Brodie used to find tons of Mcleays and Bockadams...I wonder where though?

one thing not to do is go chasing lizards around fogg dam with your camera without looking too far ahead:lol: almost had to change my undies that day!!

I came across a fair few snakes around adelaide river on the road side early in the morning. Litchfield national park was good to have a look through too if you have a 4wd.

Thanks redbellybite, Gordo and Ozzie Python for your contributions. I nearly walked into a freshwater croc when I was at Fogg Dam last year. Thankfully he saw me and and let out a warning hiss before lunging at me. I'll have a look at all those places and see if I can get to them.

Thanks again,

Stewart

Hey Gordo,

I remember back in the day, Brodie used to find tons of Mcleays and Bockadams...I wonder where though?

I don't know who Brodie is. Not talking about Ben are you?

Stewart i never really tried looking for them they were always conincidental finds when i've been fishing. I'll give you exact locations if you want them. I wouldn't recomend going in long grass near any rivers or billabongs in and around Darwin unless you knw the area very well and even then you would still need to be very careful if you want to leave with ur legs intact. Very very large crocs are regularly seen all around us up here.

There's Crocodylus Park in Berrimah, Adelaide River Queen Jumping Crocs, Litchfield Park, Swim with Barra @ Howard Springs

Well, I've been and returned. No luck in the semi-aquatic colubrid department, but I did see a ton of other stuff. I'll have to go back up there and spend some more time traipsing around in the mangroves.

Stewart

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back