Nt ackies wonted pictures

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bredli-sli

Reaction score
hey guys could you be able to send me a few photos of ackies

and there are only the sand fire form
and the Northern territory form correct?

school project, it will be great if you helped me out thatnks guyss!!!

both forms if possible

goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooogle

Bredli - A quick search of ANY reptile forum or simply Google will find you hundreds of photos...

I know Shannon Plummer has some great photos of some sandfires, you would have to check with her for permission to use the photos though...

If you are referring to subspecies, I believe there are only two subspecies Varanus acanthurus acanthurus and Varanus acanthurus insulanicus.

Varanus acanthurus insulanicus is basically found in the north east section of Arnhem land and nearby islands. It grows slightly bigger and is a darker form (some are very nice black and white colours). They are extremely rare in captivity, and photos can be hard to find. All up not much is known about them.

Varanus acanthurus acanthurus is basically the remainder of the range. It contains many different forms with the most common in captivity referred to as 'reds' and 'yellows'. These used to be separate subspecies but due to poorly defined descriptions and distribution were placed together. You could find 'reds' that were yellow and 'yellows' that were red. The 'Reds' used to be such localities as Pilbara, Sandfire, Kimberleys while the 'Yellows' used to be such localities as Mount Isa and Alice Springs.

There is a very similar species which is called Varanus baritji. These are almost the same as ackies and probably should be placed as a subspecies instead of a full species.

Cheers

Heres a couple pictures of my little Sandfire Ackie

Attachments

• 100_1543.jpg
    100_1543.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 142
  • 100_4449.jpg
    100_4449.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 90
i thought insulanicus were the yellow and black form?

There are 3 subspecies.

Varanus acanthurus acanthurus ('red ackies')

Varanus acanthus brachyurus ('yellow ackies')

Varanus acanthurus insulanicus

You (bredli-sli) are welcome to use these pics of my sandfires (if others want to use them please ask first)

Attachments

• PC290640.jpg
    PC290640.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 238
  • IMGA1046.jpg
    IMGA1046.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 181
  • P7141085.jpg
    P7141085.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 192
i saw a stunning yellow ackie in a reptiles australia issue, i have never seen one posted or for sale that can replicate it!

Im pretty sure the name Varanus acanthurus brachyurus is no longer valid. But yes that used to be the name for the 'yellow' form.

Im pretty sure the name Varanus acanthurus brachyurus is no longer valid. But yes that used to be the name for the 'yellow' form.

I think the same here, but it still seems to be used in the USA. I believe their are only two currently accepted sub species here.
Varanus acanthurus acanthurus which include the Sandfire, Mt Isa and Alice Springs Forms. The last two being much the same colour but the Alice Springs Form grows larger.
Varanus acanthurus insulanicus, a very rare form found on an Island off NT.

I have a couple Mt Isa Form which seem to be the most common type in captivity. If you want larger animals of the same colour, Southern Cross Reptiles breed the Alice Springs Form. But I would not use their site photos without asking them first. http://www.southernxreptiles.com/MONITORGALLERY.htm

That 3rd picture Varanophile is a magnificent speciemen,awesome colouring.I have a little one thats about 3 months old and his-her colours are brightning up,do they get better with age like Jungles do[ most ].My one is a Sandfire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back