Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
First the spelling and grammar police,
now the math police..:lol:

It would help if people would get there conversions right. Misshiss your way off.

Everyone seems to be getting caught up in the detail of enclosure dimensions. I'd like to take a step back and ask people whether they think a code of practice for reptile keepers is a good idea or not.

Can people agree on the basic care requirements of reptiles (e.g. heat, light, food, etc) and if so should keepers be required by law to provide them?

Do reptiles suffer in enclosures that prevent them from performing natural behaviour (climbing, digging, swimming etc) or is suffering a purely mammalian phenomenon?

ENCLOSURE SIZE FOR KEEPING LACIES,
2m x 5m for 1animal,
+ 20% extra for each aditional animal
thats another 1m x 2m

wrong.
if anybody need slate for flore area 40cm x 50cm they will order 2000cm2 of slate dear.
I am sorry to disappoint you.
2000cm2 is equivalen to 0.2m2
not 2m2 that is where you have it wrong.
How could possibly 40x50cm be 2m2?

Please go back to school. I am making living by calculating areas in all dimentions all my life, I can't afford to be wrong here..:rolleyes:

but you are:):):)

2m x 5m for 1animal,
thats another 1m x 2m

Lace Monitor - 40 000cm2 for a single animal or a pair. thats 2 x 2 meters or 3 x 1.4 meters, 20% for every extra animal over a pair.

2m x 5m for 1animal,
thats another 1m x 2m

I've seen a few things on this thread about "minimum lacey enclosure size". I wonder how Dave Kirshner's setup compares?

I think the fact that he can triple clutch his laceys says he's doing something right ;)

I've seen a few things on this thread about "minimum lacey enclosure size". I wonder how Dave Kirshner's setup compares?

I think the fact that he can triple clutch his laceys says he's doing something right ;)

Dave lets them walk around his apartment, so their "enclosure" is really just a giant hide box with a closable door ;)

re DECC

In NSW one metre squared = 10,000 centre metres squared thats 100cm x 100cm = 10,000 cm2 ,its all to do with time zones and measurements not catching up or on in other states. I dont believe that story anymore about the 28 ft scrubby in queensland unless it was measured by someone from NSW. :lol:

Dave lets them walk around his apartment, so their "enclosure" is really just a giant hide box with a closable door ;)

I was waiting for it, thanks Jas. This demonstrates my point on blanket legislation, there are always other factors other than the dimensions of the enclosure.

For those of you who haven't seen Dave present, his laceys are given just about free run of the house. It includes photos of them mating on the living room rug :)

In NSW one metre squared = 10,000 centre metres squared thats 100cm x 100cm = 10,000 cm2 ,its all to do with time zones and measurements not catching up or on in other states. I dont believe that story anymore about the 28 ft scrubby in queensland unless it was measured by someone from NSW. :lol:

Well, there is a story to that....when Garth was a teenager he used to hang around Louis Robichaux who caught the biggest scrubby ever....in Eric Worrell's book it said it was 28 foot.
Louis always made a point to tell Garth quite often that it was actually 25foot and ten inches.

re DECC

Well, there is a story to that....when Garth was a teenager he used to hang around Louis Robichaux who caught the biggest scrubby ever....in Eric Worrell's book it said it was 28 foot.
Louis always made a point to tell Garth quite often that it was actually 25foot and ten inches.

Thats interesting Fay ,hes had allot of experience Garth,very good,these days its a differnt story you breed pet reptiles for several years and your a legend.

great information Fay :D thats still a huge scubby in my book. must have been a good age to be that size in the wild.

just wondering what the biggest scrubbie in captivity or bred in captivity might be? and its age?
anyone have any accurate measurements and information?

great information Fay :D thats still a huge scubby in my book. must have been a good age to be that size in the wild.

just wondering what the biggest scrubbie in captivity or bred in captivity might be? and its age?
anyone have any accurate measurements and information?

I have a friend with a massive one, biggest you will ever see in a life time, I think it's 4000cm2 or something like that ;)

I have a friend with a massive one, biggest you will ever see in a life time, I think it's 4000cm2 or something like that ;)

wow jason that about? ummmm? 400 yards long isn't it? :lol:
Im glad we have the new guidelines to refer to on how to keep stuff now..
however did we do without them?? :rolleyes:

after speeking to some people "in the know" these enclosure sizes aren't that bad,
they are fairly reasonable..
but there is still alot of work to be done on this paper.
animals wrongly classified on the sizing charts, etc.

minimum for 1 or 2 lacies is 40000cm2 which is 2m x 2m
minimum for 1 or 2 BHP's is 8000cm2 which is 1.4m x 60cm
1 or 2 scrubbies are20000cm which is 1m x 2m
+20% for each aditional animal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back