Reptile Keeper :)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sterlo

Reaction score
Hi I am posting a thread to get some answers about Becoming a reptile keeper at a zoo or reptile park
and i was wondering what courses or work i would have to do for this and if anyone could point me into the right path to becoming one i am only 15 and in year 10 :D
Thanks

I know you can do work experiance through your school at zoo's. You can also ask a local zoo if they are looking for some volenteer work... most of it is shoveling poo and cleaning but it can get you places doing the dirty work for awhile. My friend did Volenteer work in a zoo 2years before getting her desired job. good luck :)

pretty sure you have to go to uni and study the type of science related to the animal you want to be a keeper of. e.g herpetology to be the reptile keeper.

not too sure though :)

You can start by doing Certificate II in animal studies at TAFE, at least in NSW

Thats what i'm planning to do, have to wait till end of June before i find out if i got in though.

Doing volunteer work at a zoo is the best way to get the much needed experience. You'll also here what other zoos are looking for new staff

Start by becoming a member of the Australiasian Society of Zookeeping. www.aszk.org.au .....it advertises jobs, courses, conferences and you receive a quartely newsletter, thylacinus, that outlines what is happening in the zoo world around Australia.

Then go to your nearest zoo or wildlife park and join the volunteer program. 90% of all keepers were volunteers at one stage, so volunteering is essential as it gives you the practical experience working with the animals. Then look at doing Cert II in Animal studies during year 11 and 12 as a VET subject.

THEN if your lucky you may pick up a position somewhere. Cert II is only a stepping stone into Cert III in Animal Studies which is the Formal Qualification as a Zookeeper. DOn't bother with uni it won't particularily help. Cert III is the industry recognised course.

Cheers,
Josh

Last edited:
:)

I think i might follow in the footsteps that just joshing has given :) except the closest i am to a zoo is like featherdale and that's 1 hour away and i am only 15 with no transport so ill have to wait to yr 11 to volunteer but also if you volunteer do you volunteer to just reptile parts or everything else?

you might be lucky to work with reptiles straight up, but dont be suprised if you start right at the bottom

look id wanted to work with animals so when my yr 10 work experience came up i pick the wild life park in the area and did my 2 weeks there. it was great. ha now i work in disability what a change.
try at your local council and see if they can point you in the right direction..
most local councils have a wild life area

hope this helps good luck

hmmm?

UUm what you mean by wildlife area??
because I'm pretty sure we don't have any wildlife area near me? hahah
i live in the Hawkesbury in east Kurrajong :S

If you plan to do your HSC there are university degrees also. Something like zoology would be appropriate to study if you want to go into this area. I know Sydney Uni did this.

i volunteer at taronga zoo, through their Youth At The Zoo program, for people between 13 and 19 years of age.
ive been volunteering there for about 4 yrs now.
the way it works there is you get partnered up with a more experienced volly and they show you what to do.
its great fun, and you learn heaps.
its not just shovelling poop all day. lol
i get to help out doing the feeds and shows, also the enrichments, its amazing.
id recommend it to anyone.

so where are you hoping to go jessie? 4 years geeze shouldnt you have permo job there yet lol

Some people have to volunteer for years untill they get offered anything permanent, sometimes people dont even get an offer

haha you'd think so, but alas. no job yet xD
i really want to get into zoo keeping too, so ive started up cert 2 in tafe. and should be starting cert 3 in captive animals in a year or so.

My desired job is to become a reptile vet and i'm studding vet nursing at tafe and then i'm going to do captive animals. Witht these qualifications i will be a vet nusre that can work in a zoo or reptile park. When i have these i will hopefully get in to uni as a mature aged student.

But as people have said 1st is cert 2 animal studies, then cert 3 captive animals if you want to go further there are some reptile courses but it goes by how many are interested if the courses are run. I'm on the central coast and have to travel to kurri kurri to study.

Though being in sydney you may have better luck around your area. I know they are doind an advanced repile course at richmond tafe in spring this year but you have to be over 18 to work with the venomous snakes it costs about $750.

Look up on the tafe website see what you can find. You may be able to a TVET course through school when you get to year 11, thats what i was able to do.

Hope that helps.

Cleopatra

yeah that's the good thing I'm like less than half our from Richmond :) except an hour form any reptile parks :(
i think anyway lol well what i was going to do there was a reptile and amphibian care course so i was gonna do both of them advanced too dunno where I'm get money but well see and then do the captive animal thingo lol and then volunteer when i get my motorbike learners license

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back