how often do i feed a baby knob tail?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

newcomer

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure how old he is because the breeder couldnt tell me, he said he'd had him for about a month, so how often should he be fed?

how big is he?
generally every 2-3 days but if its still small it may want to eat more

Did the breeder breed this particular gecko?

If he didn't, are you aware of the 6 month rule?

A young knobbie can be fed every night, as they get older, stretch it out to 3-4 times a week.

I used to feed my ones every night, just give them 2-4 crickets, see how much it will eat. I find they vary with how much they like to eat. Some will eat a few per night, some only a few every other night. Just observe and figure out what your one likes.

i feed mine everynight, with calcium powder everynight

Did the breeder breed this particular gecko?

If he didn't, are you aware of the 6 month rule?

I haven't heard of the six month rule. The breeder bred him himself, he had the parents with him, he showed me them. In saying that, he said it was his first hatchling, and im not sure he knew too much about what he was on about, most of what he's told me i've done the opposite, by learning things from this website, and if i'd done what he;d told me i think my knob tail would be in much worse shape.
I took him to a pet shop today and she said for how long i've had him (about a month) he should be about twice his length, i've been feeding him every second day, about three to four crickets. he didnt seem to want any more, he gets calcium and vitamin powder as well. he's pretty small, about the length of a pointer finger.
she recommended i take him (i say 'him' but cant tell at the moment) to an animal hospital, as he has skin stuck over his eye from a shed (that the breeder also apparently had no idea happened). He says that he cant tell me when he was born, how many times he's shed, and he reckons that he had no idea about this skin stuck on the geckos eye - now it;s covering most of his eye, ive misted him numerous times each day and it's not budging. It's obvious.
Is this normal for a breeder or does this guy sound a bit dodgy? He was only 21 so maybe he's only just learning himself? Or maybe I'm being kind..

Thanks for all your replies.

I
I took him to a pet shop today and she said for how long i've had him (about a month) he should be about twice his length, .....he's pretty small, about the length of a pointer finger.

Thanks for all your replies.

Sounds like the pet shop had no idea how big smooth knob tailed geckos get :rolleyes:. I have never seen a levis double the size of a pointing finger :shock:

From your photo it looks like it's in the middle of shedding. Just mist it and feed it up and don't handle it too much if at all at this stage unless you need to.

Last edited:
The skin from the top of his head's gone since this photo - all that's left is the bit on his eye, which is my main concern. I have been misting him daily and it is still very hard, i tried gently removing it with a cotton bud as told by my vet but it wont move, so I've been told to take him to the animal hospital. As it's stuck fast right on his eye, I'm worried about infection - is the hospital the only other way? The misting doesnt seem to be softening the skin at all.

Just leave him be, don't take him to the vet for something like that. Mist once a day/two and just leave him be until his next shed which wont be very long away seeing as hes small. And drop the handling if you are doing it quite often as they are best left alone and can stress easily. Don't freak out :p its just a bit of shed and is not going to become infected and it will come of within the next few sheds.

As for the feeding, as much as he wants in one sitting, don't go back and feed hima few hours after. For a hatchy that young you can get away with every day until hes put on a bit of weight then cut it down to every 2 days then 3 etc. Dust feed with calcium every few feeds.

I appreciate all the advice. Thanks for the advice everyone.
Method, I personally got quite a shock that this woman told me to take him to the animal hospital - he hasn't shed since i've had him, which had been about a month, and it does seem to be stuck quite tight. In saying that, as much as i love the little bugger already, it's $260 just to walk in the door of this place before they even see you, and if they turn around and tell me that he'll be fine, i might just shoot this pet shop lady lol. I handle him very rarely, only to clean out his enclosure. I'm only holding him in the photo because none of the photo's would come out clearly! :)
And yes, I am freaking out, this is my first gecko and I'm seriously attached lol
Thanks again everyone, I appreciate all the help. Will let you know how it turns out.
- Emma

I've been offering him food every day, but he doesnt seem to want it. He didnt eat anything yesterday, only one cricket the day before and two the day before that. I havent yet fed him today but I assume he will eat today, so I'm assuming roughly two crickets every two days?

Maybe I should stop panicing and just play it by ear..? :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back