Dog bite advice needed

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Go no net an you will find out i did it a while ago.i find out like i said no dog has lockjaw .
I used the term 'lockjaw' euphemistically. Staffys have a very strong and tenacious bite. It is difficult to get them to open their jaws unless they want to do so. My husband once had a male staffy by the collar (twisting) and balls (also twisting), but it still took a while to get it to let go of our dog.

I used the term 'lockjaw' euphemistically. Staffys have a very strong and tenacious bite. It is difficult to get them to open their jaws unless they want to do so. My husband once had a male staffy by the collar (twisting) and balls (also twisting), but it still took a while to get it to let go of our dog.

OUCH! omg..im just imagining the dog having its balls twisted! ugh! dammit that would hurt! and it still didnt let go??? man....that dog has one high thresh hold of pain....

My best mate has been grooming dogs for years..

She's copped a few aggressive dogs before,

I believe she makes a note for next time she goes there to muzzle the dog

If she feels it necessary she will cease to do certain dogs.

She has never gone to the council etc & reported a dog for biting.

You would imagine some dogs are not keen on being washed/groomed

also some dogs take a liking to certain groomers & not to others...

So I don't think contacting/warning anyone (other than the owner & your boss)

is appropriate in a situation like that.

I wouldn't be calling the council or RSPCA. I mean any dog can bite. I don't think it's fair to the dog. A friend of mine does grooming. Some dogs are not keen on the whole "getting groomed" idea but she puts a muzzle on in those cases. They sometimes turn around and try to bite, but the muzzle is there to protect her.

Any dog in a certain situation may bite. It does not necessarily mean that it is aggressive. The owner should have been there to supervise and warn you if any of such behaviour was expected.

BUT

I think with any job, you have risks involved. This was unfortunate, but looking at it the other way, it is your job and surely it would be expected that ONE DAY this could/ would happen. Should you not use precautions to prevent such situations? If you are doing woodwork you wear protection for your eyes. If something goes in your eye and damages it because you did not wear it, that is really your fault.... if you see what I'm getting at.

It certainly wasn't nice of the owner not to say much but if the dog was aggressive I'm sure he would of told you.Or perhaps it should be a part of your work procedures to ask or prepare for things like that when handling new dogs that you do not know. Maybe you should talk to your boss about not being properly equipped or having the right procedures in place for your safety.

You said " the dog was't having any of it and it turned around and bit me" ....so you saw it coming. I see it as negligence on your part.

Perhaps you should figure out why it bit you. If it's never bitten anyone else before, then one would think it doesn't usually bite.

my advice is if you are unsure about any dog, use a muzzle, ask the owners to put the dog in the bath and restrain it for you then proceed with washing.
Shar-Pei's were initially bred for dog fighting years ago and with out proper training can demonstrate agressive, protective behaviour. From experience and knowledge of this breed they are VERY protective of territory and family.

Temperament
The Chinese Shar-Pei was bred as a guard dog- this makes them very territorial. They are very protective of their home and family. This makes them an excellent house dog, but can present some problems when strangers enter the home. While it is desirable to have a dog that protects the home, it is risky to have a dog that is too protective. Here are some suggestions:
  1. When people come over to the house have the dog crated - this avoids any confrontations. Otherwise, have the dog on a leash and slip collar. Have your guests ignore the dog for the first few minutes and let the dog get used to the fact that strangers have entered his domain. Then have the guests offer some treats to the dog - again, under your supervision and control.
  2. Many Shar-Pei will guard the door. Use baby gates to restrict this activity. Crating is also useful for this problem.
  3. Spray bottles containing water are useful to control some unwanted behaviors since most Shar-Pei don't seem to like water.
  4. It's always a good idea, with any dog, to have friends phone before they come over to your home. This allows you a chance to prepare for the interaction of friends and your dog ahead of time.
  5. Keep a good supply of treats on hand to reward good behavior.
  6. Use common sense. Remember that not all people like dogs or know how to act around dogs. Don't let your dog be a nuisance to house guests. Young children often don't know how to behave around dogs - be especially alert when youngsters come to the house.
Breed-Specific Behaviors:
Shar-Pei display the following behaviors which seem to be characteristics of the breed:
  • They display a behavior known as "sharking". This is a circling, staring behavior characteristic of fighting dogs and used to intimidate their opponents. This occurs when the dog is nervous or unsure.
  • When crated or otherwise confined they have a tendency to "bury" their water and/or food.
  • They don't like to be petted on top of the head. This is probably due to poor peripheral vision caused by the excessive skin folds around the eyes and the heavy brow.
  • Many Shar-Pei, particularly the horse-coats, don't like to go out in the rain. They may have to be kicked out the door to make them eliminate.
Shar-Pei and Other Dogs:
The Chinese Shar-Pei is a very alert, intelligent and highly responsive dog breed. They have a lower aggression threshold to other dogs as well as a lower proximity tolerance around other dogs. This translates into the following recommendations:
  1. It is highly advised to begin obedience training at as early an age as possible. Early socialization is to be encouraged and the earlier this begins the better.
  2. Always maintain control of your Shar-Pei in the presence of other dogs. Bear in mind that other dog owners may not control their dogs and be prepared for the unexpected.
  3. Use of positive reinforcement (treats, toys) to reward good behavior and paying attention in the presence of other dogs is absolutely necessary. It is difficult to use punishment when the dog is already excited by the presence of another dog - learning is not occurring when the adrenalin is flowing.

How quick we all are to blame the breed of dog when really it is the owner who is at fault for numerous reasons.
Perhaps the dog is freightened of being bathed, or perhaps if it was a dog you are unfamiliar with you should have asked the owner a few questions first about his dogs history,and maybe played with the animal for a few minutes first to gain its trust.
I think alot of the responsibility lies with you as you didnt do any research into the dog you were about to bath, which can be a stressful experience for a nervous dog, and wouldnt the odd bite here and there be part and parcel of the job?Perhaps you can take something away from this and be better prepared next time you wash a dog you dont know.

I HATE how the individual dogs bahaviour is generalised to specific breeds.

I have shown dogs and have had the opportunity to spend time with many different breeds, some, which people would consider dangerous. With any dog, no matter what breed ,IT COMES DOWN TO INDIVIDUAL TEMPERAMENT AND HOW YOU RAISE THEM.

So please, lets not put it down to the fact that this dog was a Shar-Pei and use this as a reason as to WHY he bit someone.

If this dog has never bitten anyone before you, could it be that it could sense that you were nervous by having never washed it before. If you were, it would sense this and behave very differently to ordinary behaviour. IMO it is your boss and the person supervising you who are at fault for not educating you correctly into animal behaviours and responses. It might pay for you to research the behaviours of each breed that you will be washing the next day so you are better prepared. Your boss should also have given you several different sizes of muzzle and it would be a good thing to muzzle every dog you haven't washed before until you are confident with them and they have gotten to know you. This is definately a work cover report as its your boss' negligence in training you. By reporting this particular animal to other authorities, I think your boss would be in trouble. The animals owner assumes that they are having someone who is well trained to handle all types of animals - this is what they are paying for.

I hope that your hand is going ok. If there is any soreness, swelling or redness, you must go to a doctor and get some antibiotic treatment and testing for nerve/ligament damage. Look after yourself first and foremost.

You work as a dog washer and it never occured to you that you will get bitten???
Thats like owning a snake and expecting to never get a scratch... Then when it happens, getting out the shovel....

Why do people jump to conclusions that a dog will attack a child??
ITS A ANIMAL PEOPLE! And therefore there is always a risk of being on the bitey end, dont matter if your dog is 15 year old and never bitten.. Its still a dog!

What if you could put people down everytime they are aggressive towards you....

You get bitten by a Sharpei & all you get is a hole on your thumb......That isn't aggression! Seriously.......you are in the wrong job if you are worried about a bite like that! A Sharpei is not a small dog & IF it meant business, which it clearly did not, you have way more than a hole! Maybe a wee bit of over reaction on your part imo. That said, I would submit an accident report in case it gets infected & you need to make a claim.

I hope by now you had your wound seen to by a doctor. Puncture wounds become infected easier than open wounds. In any case it would be prudent to have a medical record of the injury in case it's needed for future reference. Good luck with the whole situation.

Thankyou for all the opinions everyone. I shall be reporting the incident to the relevant authorities and informing other hydrobathing services of the dog in order to use appropriate measures. Companion animal grooming and training of course has its dangers, there are muzzles in the salon for dogs that hint at being dodgy, in particular for smaller nippy breeds that always seem to come with that attitude. In the case of the littlies a bite isn't anything to worry about, even if they were to bite a child they wouldn't be doing much damage. However this particular incident concerns a dog which could potentially cause serious damage to a child, and no i do NOT believe that a dog EVER biting a human is acceptable in the slightest, My snakes can nail me all they like, I understand they are not domesticated and they don’t exactly have the ability to rip me to pieces are they? (I am referring to smaller species of pythons here; I don’t keep scrubbies or vens.)

I am a little sad to see the responses that put the blame on me though. Of course i expect to get bitten on occasion, and this usually tends to be no more than a 'gumming' or a snap at the equipment, the dogs are always told off for this behaviour and over time they know we mean to just wash and pat and cuddle them, with lots of bikkies to boot. This on the other hand was the worst bite any of us have seen in the seven years the service has been in operation. And yes, to those comments regarding getting to know new dogs and not letting them know you're nervous, yeah of course i understand that. I wouldn’t exactly be a dog groomer if i didn't understand how dogs communicate and how to approach strange dogs would i? A new dog is always met with the owner, with bikkies in hand, lots of gentle pats and encouragement, etc. I wouldn't have my hands at all if i just waltzed up to every strange dog, dumped them in the bath and proceeded to wash them.

The owner was present at all times throughout the incident and judging my his casual attitude towards it, and other comments of his afterwards, we were given the impression that the dog has been known to bite. I am only mildly concerned with the state of my hand, knowing that the damage will heal and i can go to the doctors if needed. However, i feel my responsibility lies in doing what i can to prevent this from happening again. I would feel partially responsible if another groomer were more seriously injured, or a child had their face ripped off because of my failure to report this incident.

To those of you that say i should not report it, i still appreciate the advice and opinions you have offered. I am confident in my values and attitudes towards dog-human aggression that i know i am making the right decision in reporting this.

On a final note i should add that i would indeed be disappointed if the dog is destroyed, after all it is still someone's pet. Preferentially i aim to have the dog listed as dangerous, and be made to wear the relevant collars and come with the required warnings and registration fees. I was influenced in this by discussing the matter with owners of a listed guard dog, who over-nights on business premises. Council regulations no longer allow the dog to be near customers during the day so it is kept penned on the property, simply because the dog did its job by restraining an aggressive intruder by knocking him to the ground and holding his arm in its mouth, didn’t even break the skin. We wash this dog weekly, and he is the biggest darling you will find. That dogs knows its position in the dog-human hierarchy, why should not all owners be expected to maintain their animals at that level?

Personally, I'd just suck it up and live with it, some dogs bite, nothing new about that. I would of (before or soon after getting the job) sought information about what action the company you work for does in such a situation as far as payment and health care go, but as a dog washer you are working with animals with big mouths, sharp teeth and primative minds...you have to expect to be bitten from time to time..... yes yes yes, the owner should not have got the dog washed if it was an edgy dog, but dobbing him into the council isn't the way to go imo, as there is a good chance the dog will face the needle... If someone lets their aggressive dog wander the streets or out the front of their house, yes, report them, but accidents will happen from time to time, and just because a dog may bite, still dosn't make it dangerous, as any dog can bite. Did you ask the owner about the dogs temperment before going near it? I would of.

Yeah my friend had the same problem, even tried sticking a turned on hose up its bum and down its throat.

before you decide to report it you must find out if it is a nervous dog or if it is actually an agressive dog. If it was a one off where the dog got nervous with a new handler, it would be quite unfair to report as a report can have things taken very far and in some cases lead to euthanasia.

Very sound advice IMO.

It would have been nice if the owner had fore-warned you. My dog is one of those dogs who doesn't like being left at groomers and these days I have to ensure I'm there with him, or do the dog myself (my styles are quite amusing :p)

Anyway, I hope your hand is feeling better.

Have you spoken about reporting the dog to your boss??? you may want to before you do it, as repercussions may come back onto the company and you may find yourself out of work....just a thought.

As an employer of people working in the animal industry, I would expect a written report from you, which I then would follow up. It is not left up to you alone. I would not like it if I had nothing about the incident on paper and you complained to authorities, it would not risk your job but I would be having a talk with you about it...possibly a verbal warning. You should have been told this from the start of your job.

Just because you work in an industry does not mean you should expect injury, however you know that it is a possibility, you should know what to do if it does happen, ask your boss before it happens not after. Bites and scratches are very common in the animal industry, most are due to stress not aggression, when the full details are given to an experienced person they can make a call as to whether the bite was aggression or stress.

The dog will not be put down and should not be put down. This does not reflect on you at all, it is a reaction to a situation which the dog felt uncomfortable. An incident report should be made though as then you also have your self covered if there is any further problem with the injury. This is something that should be done each and every time there is an injury involving penetration or first aid intervention.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back