Is this shell rot?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kakariki

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hi all. Another rescue, this time a large shortneck with what appears to be shell rot. Can anyone confirm for me & offer some tips on how best to help her? The battle continues with these poor creatures still being found covered in tubeworm. We have received fantastic support from the members here in regards to sales of T-shirts, jewellery etc so I thank all who have helped. The money raised helps with feed, vet costs & equipment.
PS. Have already posted this on another site but I know there are lots of turtle people here so re-posted it here.

Attachments

• Shell rot 002.jpg
    Shell rot 002.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 202
Not a happy turtle, for sure! I rang the vet this morning to ask for advice and I was told.."ring the Native Animal Network. No-one here knows anything about turtles" !!?? hmm, they are smack bang in the middle of an area with animals in a crisis situation & they don't know anything! Not impressed! On a happier note, I have had it confirmed & a treatment program set up. Keep your fingers crossed for her, she needs all the luck she can get!

Oh wow that looks nasty :(

Poor thing! I hope she pulls through for you Sam...

Good on you for making an effort to help them :)

Hi Kakariki,

just out of curiosity, what is the treatment? (I'm not a turtle keeper, but always interested in herp diseases/treatment)

Col J.

Keep her dry in the daytime & out in the sunshine. Bettadine on affected areas. In the afternoon, put her in warm water for feeding etc. Keep the water warm. If it doesn't respond, get some antifungal/anti-bacterial ointment from the vet. I have just talked to the teacher who is running the turtle program. Apparently 20 turtles were handed in on Wednesday so there could be more with rot. I am just heading down there now to check.

That looks very bad. The plastron seems to be translucent.
That turtle will need to be kept out of water for some time. You need to drydock it completely with a water dish that it can get its head into only. I would attemot to get it onto antibiotics asap.

make sure if its hot you dont leave it outside for to long they cook in their shell

Hey is that ur kids school on the chan 10 news tonight?? i had the tv on mute and i looked up and saw young school kids with big turtles and the kids with them? i gathered it was probably something to do with it?

OH WHAT
IS THAT THE SAME TURTLE THAT U HAVE IN THE PHOTO????
the schools on telly now
they have saved over 1300 turtles and for every one they save they find 2 dead :(

so sad!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back