BTS venom

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lonewolf

Reaction score
Hey as most of you know we got 2 BTS and from all the research that we did and are doing all it says is that they are venomous. We already know this, and have searched this site up and down looking for info on their venom.

What i want to know is how un venomous are they? I'm interested to know how sick it makes you and if there is any short term or long term side affects?

I've been envenomated by one. It had a good old chew on the meat just below ur thumb and all i got was some bruising that you wouldn't normally expect from a snake bite.

I've been bitten two or three times by one, never envenomated me thoguh, sorry.

You should ask Bryan Fry from Venomdoc.com, he has done extensive research into Bioga venoms, especially that of the Irregularis species ;) I let my kids play with our BTS :lol: He's pussycat tame :D

A google search told me that they have acetylcholinesterase venom. So appparently they are neurotoxic.

anyone no what type of venom they have? would be interesting to know how it varies from elapids!

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that BTS's were colubrids?????

there is a suspected death from a boiga in Australia....and some severe effects have been noted from bite on guam.

Like all "Mildly venomous" species are certain amount of caution is well warranted, anaphylaxis can happen to anyone.

Cheers,
Scott

After reading about anaphylactic shock I haven't handled any of my BTS and even use golves when cleaning their enclosures. better safe than twitching on the ground for 30 mins :D

I am sure you wont know if the venom is a prob untill you get bitten.

I'v been chewed on a few times and the most I have ever got was slight red marks around the bite area, with most people the max you'll get is like a bee sting but then like some people they can die from bee stings so yeah its more like that.

ben

with most people the max you'll get is like a bee sting but then like some people they can die from bee stings so yeah its more like that.
ben

thats funny and slightly disturbing at the same time

It doesn't matter what animal it comes from, venom has vastly different effects on different people, as we all know many people die from bee stings, and I'm sure if lots of people were bitten by mildly venomous snakes daily, lots of people would die from them as well....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back