Exotic keepers - lets have a chat

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
.. The reason people buy illegal snake such as corns and stuff if the Looks.. and patterns. there everywhere.. you just have to know someone who knows someone.. I personally am totally against it because of the issues it could cause to our eco system.

personally,

species that arent likely to develop a fighting chance and population in the wild, eg. Igs or Chams.. why not licence them? but Boa's and the like... could you imagine...

Heres food for thought. Of all the exotics threads every single argument put forward for the against side can and has been previously argued for against natives. Its interesting to note that there is a clear majority of people that would keep exotics if legally allowed. Its a major reason why the exotic topics keep coming up and probably will till something changes.

I also highly doubt that exotics are flooding into Australia any more, since 9/11 and the resulting tighting of entry points. Yer they are still coming in but in nowhere near the numbers people think, now it would be more prue luck or organised corruption getting through. 90% of the exotics in Australia have been captive bred here and in alot of cases for 20 odd years (No wonder they are in such numbers).

For the argument of people should just be happy with what they have. Imagine if this was put into practice before we were enjoying the variety many states do now, I can told you right now it would be alot tougher and less species and more conditions. Say that to states like WA, Tassie and to a lesser degree Victoria, where limitations are in place and in some states enforcement is way over the top. I dont know if it will ever happen but I encourage the push for the legalisation of exotics in Australia. For those keeping illegally, I dont blame you or treat you as a crim in my eyes but I just cant or wont take the risk of having illegals in my collection.

Heres food for thought. Of all the exotics threads every single argument put forward for the against side can and has been previously argued for against natives. Its interesting to note that there is a clear majority of people that would keep exotics if legally allowed. Its a major reason why the exotic topics keep coming up and probably will till something changes.

I also highly doubt that exotics are flooding into Australia any more, since 9/11 and the resulting tighting of entry points. Yer they are still coming in but in nowhere near the numbers people think, now it would be more prue luck or organised corruption getting through. 90% of the exotics in Australia have been captive bred here and in alot of cases for 20 odd years (No wonder they are in such numbers).

For the argument of people should just be happy with what they have. Imagine if this was put into practice before we were enjoying the variety many states do now, I can told you right now it would be alot tougher and less species and more conditions. Say that to states like WA, Tassie and to a lesser degree Victoria, where limitations are in place and in some states enforcement is way over the top. I dont know if it will ever happen but I encourage the push for the legalisation of exotics in Australia. For those keeping illegally, I dont blame you or treat you as a crim in my eyes but I just cant or wont take the risk of having illegals in my collection.

Well i'd like to keep a monkey. I'm sure lots of people would like a monkey. Look at all the other countries that are allowed to keep monkeys. But poor me has to be content with a dog.

We keep exotic reptiles everyday, everyone that keeps a reptile that is not native to their area is keeping an exotic to some degree.
Having a reptile Thats NOT native to your and escapes,could and most likely would do more damage to our natives,than any exotic would.Thats were hybridisation comes into play,but we wont go there for now,otherwise this will turn into a big debate..With exotics being on license,it would reduce the amount being smuggled into the country,not to say their here in the thousands any how.But it will NEVER happen..

At least if exotics were brought onto a licence system the numbers could be observed.

I've seen this statement thrown around in a few discussions on this topic and it is utter rubbish. The minute you allow ball pythons, retics, burms, red tail boas, blood pythons etc to be kept in Australia there will be an increase in morphs being smuggled from the US and Europe to be illicitly added to local licenses.

When people look at it logically there are usually a few caveats that come out:

1) Invasive species - "Well we could restrict the list of allowed species"
Those not allowed will still be smuggled.
2) Diseases - "We could implement mandatory quarantine or restrict imported"
How long do you quarantine for reptiles??? There will still be a smuggling market for those that cant afford the expense or don't have an import license.
3) "We could restrict the list of allowed species to those already in Australia"
Those not allowed will still be smuggled.

On this particular topic I think the regulation bodies are closer to the mark than we are. We seem to be viewing this through rose coloured glasses because it is what we want. If we approached this more logically then perhaps a proper damage mitigation process could be implemented.

There may well be a compelling argument to allow the keeping of exotics, but a reduction in smuggling is definitely not one of them. The argument over mammalian and avarian imports also falls short as this right would be taken away if it could (it is far easier to give new rights to people then take them away).

There may well be a compelling argument against keeping exotics, but species invasiveness isn't one of them either. I think you'll find that Red Eared Slider and Corn Snake issues have come about because people have had no other recourse when they decide the risk is too great. How many do you think would kill their beloved pet rather than release.

Very good points and my thoughts exactly, you have written it better than I could.

Why are Victorians pushing for more species available, why aren't they happy with what they have.

Why did we want woma's on class 1, why aren't teh class 1 people happy with what they have.

There are valid points to both sides, but some of the points are childish and contradictory.

Very good points and my thoughts exactly, you have written it better than I could.

Why are Victorians pushing for more species available, why aren't they happy with what they have.

Why did we want woma's on class 1, why aren't teh class 1 people happy with what they have.

There are valid points to both sides, but some of the points are childish and contradictory.

People will always want what they can't have,doesnt matter what it is...and if its illegal, they want it even more..people are stupid!

So, if exotic reptiles are introduced to Australia and allowed to be kept etc, how bout elephants?? Lions?? Doesnt matter if the elephants stomp on people..hmm maybe i could get a Giraffe!?

People want what they can't argument is such a lame excuse.

People are still going to want chameleons if they were legal, more people are going to want them because they're legal.

There is so many exotics going around at the moment, why not at least have some sort of registration so they can be tracked.

Victoria cant even keep Rough Scaled Pythons, Amyae, Boyds Forest Dragons and many more of our native wildlife....why would they let us keep a Ball Python or a Chameleon instead?

People want what they can't argument is such a lame excuse.

People are still going to want chameleons if they were legal, more people are going to want them because they're legal.

There is so many exotics going around at the moment, why not at least have some sort of registration so they can be tracked.

I dont want a chameleon :D

All of us have native species that we can't keep. In the territory i can't keep tigers out right and i can't keep dangerous vens unless i live in the middle of dingo woop woop.

I'm content with that, not necesarily happy but i am content. You know why? Because keeping reptiles is a privalige not a right. We should be thankful for what we've got, not complaining about what we haven't.

might be a good time to get the hooded chameleon I've always wanted...lol.

I'm not pushing for legalisation of exotic reptiles, i was merely putting forward an argument for it for disscussion. If i didn't wan't exotics i would have put forward one agianst. I would never want to risk more damage to our ecosystem just to keep one for my satisfaction. Sure exotics are cool but our animals are just as good anyway! I doubt it will happen anyway, if it did people would still take advantage of it and we'd be worse off than we are now.
One more thing, don't get too angry about peoples posts, a forum is a place for opinions to be expressed and disscusssed (no matter how dumb).

One more thing, don't get too angry about peoples posts, a forum is a place for opinions to be expressed and disscusssed (no matter how dumb).

:lol: you havent been here long have you :lol:

I would still keep a chameleon and also an iguana.......
I doubt things will change anytime soon though, so ill have to settle for seeing them in zoos and the like.

Looking forward to the article, should be a good read...

No i havnt been here long, but i'm guessing that people get frustrated with others around here easily. Awell i guess ruffeling a few feathers makes for good disscussion.

We have "exotics" like cats and dogs and birds, and it's not good for our environment. But it's a lot easier for a government to not make new mistakes, than to fix the ones in the past. So although the principle might be the same, unfortunately reptiles are the last ones to be dealt with so we get restrictions that have arisen because of past mistakes with other animal species and types. Sucks to be us, but it's for the benefit of our great country. It would be awful if tourists in 50 years couldn't go walking through the rainforests enjoying our gorgeous reptiles in their natural habitat because they've been out-competed by boas etc.

I know it's been said but just look at the Everglades...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back