Diamond Python heatmat vs lighting

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hflat

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Just wondering how your opinions on a heatmat or UVA/UVB lighting for a Diamond python stands. I'm hopefully getting a 4 month old Diamond in the next week or two (Very excited!) and I've read a boatload of caresheets that seem to contradict one another on the topic of Diamonds relying on UVA/UVB lighting. :(
I have no problem forking out money for a Dimming thermostat and lights but if it's not necessary for a healthy diamond, i'd prefer to get a simpler setup with a heatmat.
Also, what size enclosure should I be looking at, the seller I'm talking to is keeping them in a 60x40x30 atm.
Thanks in advance. :)

In my opinion, you could use a heatmat under a clickclack while the snake is a hatchie with no UV, when it gets to say 12 months old and you put it in an enclosure (presumably you would)
Then Id ditch the heatmat and get a daylight basking globe and UV (UV is optional, people will debate that UV has not benefits but it couldnt hurt) Just give it 4 hours of basking from Sep. til April, 8am - 12noon.
Then 2 hours a day from April til Sep. 8am - 10am. 24 hours of heat during the first 12 months of its life is recommended

Everyone will have their own opinions - many from experience. My opinion is based on research, reading, reading, more reading and I do have 3 of my own.

It is a debatable question whether diamonds need UV or not. But considering that they seem to be more prone to bone disorders later in life, and shorter lifespan, than any other python, I would like to think that UV may very well go a long way for them. When you start reading different stories, it seems very common for ppl to start noticing changes in their diamonds from about 5 years upwards. But what I have not found yet, is how many of these pythons are kept indoors and/or outdoors. How many are kept outdoors and do they suffer the same or do they seem to benefit more. Reason I particularly point this out is that it is well known that diamonds also don't tolerate high humidity levels, or high temperatures - afterall, they are a southern-found python. Everyone, I am sure, does their best to keep the temps down to keep their snake happy.

While calcium is thought to be sufficient considering they eat rats, mice, birds and other captive-bred food, perhaps diamonds aren't receiving adequate UV to be able to absorp the calcium - hence in longterm their bones become brittle. I have a book that says 4 hours a week of natural sunlight = 10 hours a day of artificial UV lighting. I bolded this because I wanted it to stand out. You don't need to spend money on expensive UV lights and fittings, having to replace them every 6 months because they come with lifespan, when you can provide your snake with better, for shorter times. 1 hour a day will provide so much more benefit and is cheaper on the powerbill. For those who do not have an hour a day, set up a temporary outdoor vivarium with shady spots, bowl of water and a beautiful sunny basking spot. Put him out while you're getting the kids ready for school. Diamonds particularly love the morning sunshine best (well, mine do, anyway) and bring them back in when you're leaving.

While its a baby, heatmat under a click clack is simplest, easiest way to keep baby snakes.

Here is a photo of my outdoor vivarium. It is a laundry basket with a lid - designed for camping. It cost me $30 at camping world.

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:
Thanks for the detailed answers, I live smack bang in the centre of where Diamond's are naturally found so in the summer taking them outside on hotter days will be no problem at all. I'll probably go for a click clack with a heatmat temporarily until i get a bigger enclosure with a good UV lighting system setup, thanks :)

While its a baby, heatmat under a click clack is simplest, easiest way to keep baby snakes.

Here is a photo of my outdoor vivarium. It is a laundry basket with a lid - designed for camping. It cost me $30 at camping world.

That's a great idea. I had looked at the Exo Terra portable vivariums which would have been a lot more than 30 bucks. I am off to a camping store tomorrow.

I was worried about not providing an UV whilst my hatchie was in a plastic tub (actually 2 as of last night to provide some height). Now I can put it on the balcony, on the weekends at least, for a few hours to get some real sunshine.

I have an adult diamond in an outdoor enclosure with no artificial heating or lighting of any sort. It comes out and basks in the sun, then retreats to it's hidebox in the afternoon. They get their warmth from radiant heat rather than ambient or contact heat; (air temp, heat mats).

I also live in this species' locale, and there's a wild one that lives up the road. For some reason they're a snake that doesn't take well to artificial captivity like other snakes.

I have been wondering this same thing for our Bredli (the heating not the UV question) She currently has a heat cord under a slate tile for her heat, but we are wondering about replacing it with a ceramic bulb. She has a tall enclosure and spends a lot of her time up on her branch, apart from when she has just fed or in the mornings when she presumably uses the heat cord to warm up. We will try her with just the heat from above for a few weeks and see how she goes and let you know.

As for your question, Diamonds are aboreal so I would imagine a heat lamp (with an adequate cover to prevent burns) would be ideal, however if it is in a small click clack, then a heat mat will be fine. The enclosure you are describing sounds like the one our Bredli was in for about 10 months before we upgraded her to her current enclosure of 50 x 50 x 100 high. I would recommend you keep your diamond in a click clack for 6-12 months then move it into its adult size enclosure.

I think it was serpenttongue on this forum or another that detailed his experience with DPS. One of the most interesting points was that he experienced it with some of his diamonds that lived in outdoor enclosures within its known range.
Then there is some that never experience it and live long healthy lives indoors without UV. As you can tell there is a wide range of views because no one really knows the cause or how to prevent it, they are making guesses and using trial and error trying to come up with solutions.
Given that it can be found in both indoor and outdoor captives, it would be interesting if DPS is found to occur in the wild.

Given that it can be found in both indoor and outdoor captives, it would be interesting if DPS is found to occur in the wild.

The same thought crossed my mind. Anyone know of any reputable studies done on long term health issues of Diamonds in the wild?

The same thought crossed my mind. Anyone know of any reputable studies done on long term health issues of Diamonds in the wild?

Not that I know of anyway. Ive gone through all of Rick Shines and co papers on wild Diamonds. I think it would be hard to find sick animals are they often just stay hidden. I know Peter Harlow wrote something about DPS but haven't viewed it (I think it was an analysis of dead captive specimens). Find serpenttongues (?) thread (could be in another forum) on his experience with DPS, it is an interesting yet sad read but makes you ponder more about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back