Sick Hatchie Spotted Python

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PythonN00b

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I got home today and saw my little girl deedee doing this...
[video=youtube;Augd5YdgFSc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Augd5YdgFSc[/video]
Her pupils are pretty big and her head is just waving back and forth and arching back.

I took her to David Vella 2 weeks ago for a checkup as she's a troubled feeder, she's been force-fed afew times. She didn't have any problems as far as he could tell, apparently he's the go-to guy for reptiles in Sydney. But she's been fine behaviour-wise till now.
Any idea's of what this could be? Has anyone had this happen to theirs before? Any help would be much appreciated thanks :(

id take it back to David Vella!

all the best,
Paul

Various fatal viruses can cause things like that. So can neurological problems. In any case, it certainly looks serious. Get it to the vet as soon as possible, and if you have any other reptiles, put your collection into quarantine lock down.

The problem with reptiles is that they don't often appear sick until they really are. She may have had the problem two weeks ago, but the symptoms have only come up now.

who has been doing the force feeding and what experience have they got?

The vet did the force feeding, it wasn't a pinky, rather some mushy pink stuff mixed with abit of water.
I've only got one other blonde spotted and he's just been moved to another room, his clickclack cleaned, toilet rolls thrown out, water bowl cleaned. Anything else i should do till i can get her to the vet?

How hot are your temps getting??

If it gets to hot ( can start at over 37c i was told) it can present neurological type probs that look like this (imo) from swelling of the brain.

Good luck with it. How long have you had it?

Bump...Anyone else had this behaviour from one of theirs? I want to know if its something fixable? or contagious?

The vet did the force feeding, it wasn't a pinky, rather some mushy pink stuff mixed with abit of water.
I've only got one other blonde spotted and he's just been moved to another room, his clickclack cleaned, toilet rolls thrown out, water bowl cleaned. Anything else i should do till i can get her to the vet?

If they were in the same room it really wasnt' neccisary, if they're from the same breeder theres no point, if they're form different places and you had them in the same room then moving them now is just pointless. If it's a disease or somthing contagious the other has allready been exposed to it.

Can be from anything... viral or heating would be the obvious issues. I have seen an adult childreni loose all co-ordination and act like it had some massive brain trauma, the keeper who lives in a cold area turned all the heating off over winter as instructed to do from someone else, the snake was in a bad way, after telling her to heat the animal back up it came good again after about 3- 4 weeks. I personally think it had hypocalcemia that was effecting it muscles and possibly it brain function, and it slowly restored with heating. Again, it can happen from being over heated, or from of course a viral infection. As mentioned, time to go back to David.

Unfortunately she died last night. I didn't think it would happen so fast.. Here's a photo of where she was kept, i cleared the inside of the terrarium and put the heatmat and click clacks in there not ontop. The temps were around 34-36 at hot end humidity was pretty average. Can't afford autopsy at vets so I dont think i'll officially know what was wrong with her. Problem is that i have another much healtheir looking snake, who has eaten well and been very active for the last 3 months, no health problems yet either, i'm going to get him checked up but as i said with her the tests 2 weeks ago were all fine... so if it's all clear at the vet with him too should i still be worried? Any advice?

Attachments

• 13032009263.jpg
    13032009263.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 61
If they were my tubs i would move them to give a much bigger cool end .
Is there any water bowls in there ??

Sorry, that photo was taken just to show my setup for a previous post before i got the pair. There is a waterbowl in each container which has the water replaced daily. And since showing that photo in the old thread i did have the containers only 1/3rd on the heatmat before i placed them in there. It's been about 10 - 12 weeks i think since i got them. The female in question... had not been eating for most of this time, with only a well known reptile vet force feeding her once, and everything under the sun tried to get her to feed any other way before this.
I'm hoping that its just something to do with not eating because i have the male from the pair to worry about still.. I also noticed on her body that she still had some of what she was fed left in her stomach, i thought she might have been having problems digesting the food, but i've checked to make sure the temps are hot enough for her to digest?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back