Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

adazz

Reaction score
How do you guys feed your quails to your snakes? Any clipping of wings/beaks/feathers needed? or just straight ?

well i'd say this one is about 6 + weeks old... easily on par with a fuzzy rat, my main concern is the beak and wings as they wouldn't have much nutritional value to the snake but wanted opinions from people with experience.

I wouldnt be feeding quails, very hard to wean snakes off them and on to mice and rats IMO. I used to clip the beaks off, feet are ok, they digest them fine. Good luck

+ no where near as much nutrients as mice and rats, mine grew very slowly when on quails, and exploded when it finally took mice

+ no where near as much nutrients as mice and rats, mine grew very slowly when on quails, and exploded when it finally took mice

I thought they were very nutritious? Some people feed them as a staple instead of rats and mice.

I feed my snakes quails as well. I just snap/break the chest bone, to make it easier for the snake to swallow.

There is nothing wrong with feeding QUAIL they are perhaps slightly better
than rats of equivilant size as they dont carry the anywhere near the fat stores
of rats. A quail at 6 weeks weighs around 125 to 150gms so easily equivilant
to a medium rat. There is no need to clip wing, beaks and feet as the handle the whole bird with no trouble at all { next thing you will be clipping the toenails off the
rats and mice before you use them lol}

By the way it is QUAIL in the plural and the singular,

There is nothing wrong with feeding QUAIL they are perhaps slightly better
than rats of equivilant size as they dont carry the anywhere near the fat stores
of rats. A quail at 6 weeks weighs around 125 to 150gms so easily equivilant
to a medium rat. There is no need to clip wing, beaks and feet as the handle the whole bird with no trouble at all { next thing you will be clipping the toenails off the
rats and mice before you use them lol}

By the way it is QUAIL in the plural and the singular,
and whats wrong with giving your rodents a pedicure before feeding them to your snakes mr beeman ?;)

Quail good food for pythons !

Who told you that!
how long did you trial quail to prove that?
data?
Quail are high in protein and I feed Quail from 1day old-1week old -2week old-3week old-4week old to all my pythons -7yr bredli breeders , Jungle breeders and Jungles from about 6 months old to adult take them .
No need to trim at all,as the whole quail have good nutrients .
-USA studies on 'Game'- meat from various animals show protein and fat contents taken and under studies with scientific data,
digestion is good and I ALWAYS feed Quail -rats -mice to my pytohns and not just Quail alone, but some pythons take just quail at the first few feeds then later on rats are fed .
as we know there are very Fussy feeders - like Juvenile, Olives and hard to feed pythons take them with ease.
If you want Quail PM me for advice and costs as i sell QUAIL as well.
MY Breeders are all conditioned on Quail and i have experienced very good results
thats just my opinion on Quail .
any stats- them put them up?

If you cut off their wings and legs you can feed them larger quail, but feeding them whole is fine.

I like my Quail boned, crispy fried and served with a quince and juniper glaze.....

Quail -data-Jap Quail

Nutrient Composition of Whole Vertebrate Prey -
- Quail -Crude Protein-71.5 % and Crude Fat-31.9%
-RAT-Crude Protein-61.8 % and Crude Fat-32.6%
Quail are a good food for pythons.
Adult Bredli eating Quail .
if you want Quail pM me,

Attachments

• P3280140.JPG
    P3280140.JPG
    122.1 KB · Views: 89
  • P3280122.JPG
    P3280122.JPG
    120.8 KB · Views: 90
  • P3280123.JPG
    P3280123.JPG
    113.1 KB · Views: 86
  • P3280152.JPG
    P3280152.JPG
    130.9 KB · Views: 80
  • P3280131.JPG
    P3280131.JPG
    126.5 KB · Views: 82
I wouldn't clip anything,,, I rekon that would even make for even sharper edges,, I always try to mix it up a bit in the diet of my snakes,,, Different tyeps of mice(Native & Domestic) rats & things like quail.. I would get sick of the same dinner every night & i am sure my stomach would aswell....... There is however one sure way to bring an early death to your snake,, & that is overfeed it on fatty european house mice.. Dietery intake is important to all living creatures,,,, there was a bloke that made a movie for dopes who just dont get it,, called SUPERSIZE ME!.....BTW,,, My snakes love the odd quail..

Attachments

• DSC06026.jpg
    DSC06026.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 116
Quails are good food for all reptiles.
I use them often, but I mix up there diet with, turkey, rats, mice, rabbits, guinea pigs & any unhappy customers....lol
The I thing find with quails are the chest bone they dont flex at all.
I even know some people that eat them.. Ill stick to chicken...lol
Jason

Who told you that!
how long did you trial quail to prove that?
data?
Quail are high in protein and I feed Quail from 1day old-1week old -2week old-3week old-4week old to all my pythons -7yr bredli breeders , Jungle breeders and Jungles from about 6 months old to adult take them .
No need to trim at all,as the whole quail have good nutrients .
-USA studies on 'Game'- meat from various animals show protein and fat contents taken and under studies with scientific data,
digestion is good and I ALWAYS feed Quail -rats -mice to my pytohns and not just Quail alone, but some pythons take just quail at the first few feeds then later on rats are fed .
as we know there are very Fussy feeders - like Juvenile, Olives and hard to feed pythons take them with ease.
If you want Quail PM me for advice and costs as i sell QUAIL as well.
MY Breeders are all conditioned on Quail and i have experienced very good results
thats just my opinion on Quail .
any stats- them put them up?

What a surprise, you sell them!!! No stats, IMO, with a big underline, my snakes put on alot more size feeding on rats then quails, they are vey expensive compared to rats in Sydney, IMO snakes are hard to wean off them when you start feeding them on Quail IMO!!!!!!!!!

take it from me. My olive is still on birds won't have a bar of rats or mice. DON'T DO IT!

Quail

Quails are good food for all reptiles.
I use them often, but I mix up there diet with, turkey, rats, mice, rabbits, guinea pigs & any unhappy customers....lol
The I thing find with quails are the chest bone they dont flex at all.
I even know some people that eat them.. Ill stick to chicken...lol
Jason

Yes mix the diet,
and feed rats,mice and Quail , I have fed rabbits as well
A python on a mixed diet that will take all offered will be healthy i believe,
I never just feed quail !
pythons that have been fed birds by a keeper from start can be a problem if not given a try on rats and mice as well in the early stages of feeding it just takes time.
if an Olive only takes Quail? then you would need to look at the history of its feeding program and the keerpers methods used .
Quail are high in protein.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back