australian herpetological symposium

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i think if it was a g-up, Peter Johnson or Slitherin, or Reptiles Australia would have objected to the constant use of their names associated with the event. it's a great line-up, and a once in a lifetime opportunity to see these great herpers.
the organising of this event has already been going on for a year, and you'll be kicking yourself if you miss out.

I can assure you its not a g-up,I ve been in contact with Jason from slitherin,and he said that,Bob Mailloux,Allen Rapashy,Phillippe Divojoli,Dave Nothcott,Craig Stewart,Rico Walder,will be there.So that's good enough for me.It would be very hard to better these speakers,from what I under stand never has there been such a quality line up any where in the world. its bigger than Ben Hur.As for Phillippe his just the god farther of the Reptile industry in the US.it wouldn't surprise me if alot of the tickets were sold to over seas vistors

So a big KUDOS to the organisers

IMO this can only be good for our industry

I agree. It should be a great event with world class speakers. I've actually spoken to one of the organisers and there are from the sounds of it quite a few very well known overseas breeders coming that wont be speaking as its attracting world herpetological interest.

what I cant understand is people posting saying its way too expensive etc.. maybe it is for a lot of people but that doesnt mean its still not going to be great and good value to those that can afford it. Its like saying a ferrai is a rubbish car because someone cant afford one. why throw mud at it just because you cant afford it? thats sour grapes and jealousy in my opinion. If its too expensive for some people, so be it. Theres no rule that says reptile events have to cater for the masses and in my opinion most of the whingers wouldn't probably go anyway, even if it was cheaper for registration.

Its not meant for the general hobbyisyts and masses anyway the theme of the inaugural conference is "professional breeding" and this conference is basically about professional keeping, breeding, marketing, pricing, health disease management etc etc for a professional business setup, and not geared towards the general hobby keeper, although they would still probably find it interesting.

I dont know if I'll be going yet as it is a substantial investment, but I congratulate the organisers and also think that it can only be good for the reptile industry in this country.

see i told you all it was a big gee-up. some people will believe anything. how come theres nothing in the reptiles australia mag and there a sponsor, yeah right. hahaha. that email address doesn't work. hahahahahow could you get all those big names to come to australia? how come john weigel and simon stone don't know anything about it, surely they'd be speaking at such a great conference woohoo. did anyone look at the speakers, sure all of them would come to australia at once, it would be the biggest conference ever, why wouldn't they have it in america.? so dream on everyone,hahaha dream on janice simpson if you even exist hahaha. you got to get up early to trick me, not like a lot of you on here. lets have a poll, do you think it's all crap? yes. 100%

see i told you all it was a big gee-up. some people will believe anything. how come theres nothing in the reptiles australia mag and there a sponsor, yeah right. hahaha. that email address doesn't work. hahahahahow could you get all those big names to come to australia? how come john weigel and simon stone don't know anything about it, surely they'd be speaking at such a great conference woohoo. did anyone look at the speakers, sure all of them would come to australia at once, it would be the biggest conference ever, why wouldn't they have it in america.? so dream on everyone,hahaha dream on janice simpson if you even exist hahaha. you got to get up early to trick me, not like a lot of you on here. lets have a poll, do you think it's all crap? yes. 100%

You may be right, but that's a mouthful of words to eat if you're wrong. I'll wait and see.

Hey Albino

Four of the Six speakers are personal friends of mine, I have arranged for them to come out to speak and attend the Symposium,all are very excited to be involved, and are equally excited to see some great herps while they are here. As for advertising there will be plenty of time, as the synposium is still 18 months away.
The organisers are getting swamped with emails from here and abroad, so maybe there is something wrong with your email.or maybe you are getting blocked

Jason

From Slitherin

how could you get all those big names to come to australia

i think you will find that all those big names are just as committed to making this event a huge success as those people involved in organising it. these people are the most professional and well respected herpers in the world and are keen to help the herpetoculture industry in this country.

they are excited to visit our shores for this massive event, and they are happy to have a huge input because they are all extremely decent people.

all the delegates will be honoured to meet these 'big names'.

but rest assured, the Symposium is on.

Good enough for me. Never had any reason to doubt Jason: straight shooter all the way down the line. I'm in. Seems like good value for half the line-up of speakers.

blah blah, no website, hey? how hard could that be? names not registered, what sort of a business is it? hope no-one sent their money in, hahaha. spoke to someone in another non-herp forum who said they got plenty of these unsolicited emails, and some people send the cash in with this big pipedream, and never hear from them again.hahaha.

well I was up at the coast talking to Jason from Slitherin' rack systems on saturday and he assures me it will be happening and will be an awesome event. Jason's word is good enough for me. Several of the big name speakers are his personal friends and will definitely be coming.. It will probably be an annual event held in a different place every year if we're lucky.

who really cares what you say albino? blah blah blah NO one thats who :rolleyes:
If you think what you say is so correct why dont you put your name to it so people know exactly who you are?
you really sound like someone thats very jealous of this conference.. why is that exactly?

If you dont go Im sure nobody could care less :)

Last edited:
My question is what makes a professional breeder a professional breeder?

Is it the amount of reptiles that they produce every year? If I produced 2000 - 5000 hatchies this year people would just say that I'm in it for the money and not the reptiles.

Is it that they work on and produce different colour morphs? Personally my favorite part of the industry.

Is it because they have been in the industry for so long? I know people that have been keeping/breeding reptiles for only a couple of years that can out talk and do better year in year out with the keeping/breeding side of things than some of the people that have been doing this for the past 20 years.

Not having a shot at anyone and I love the fact that we are getting some big names over this way, I'm just curious as to what actually makes someone a professional breeder.

Thats the whole point of my talk mate. To help you dertermine exactly what you are. After all, if you go years and then find out you were wrong the penalties are very substantial. And as an accountant who is somewhat into reptiles I can understand your passion for creating morphs as opposed to just being in it for the money. The question is... would the ATO or your local accountant also understand that? So how do you go about proving what you really are - a hobby or a business????

see i told you all it was a big gee-up. some people will believe anything. how come theres nothing in the reptiles australia mag and there a sponsor, yeah right.
blah blah, no website, hey? how hard could that be?.

heres the website and if you go to sponsors you will see Reptiles Australia, Slitherin & Sugarloaf Animal Hospital listed as sponsors so far..
Australian Herpetological Sysmposium

I've been advised the programme is only a draft, but all listed speakers have confirmed their attendance. Its still over a year away 1st, 2nd and 3rd of October 2010 so the website will no doubt be updated soon with more details. But Philippe de Vosjoli, Rico Walder, Craig Stewart, Greg Miles. Peter Johnson, David Northcott and Allen Repashy are listed to speak so far.. It should be an awesome event and the organisers should be congratulated.

cheers

Albino, how do you feel now? Time to hibernate I suppose.
It should be a great gig.

Maybe a lot of things haven't been finalised as such as it is a long way down the track, so they aren't really advertising until the know exactly what is going to happen and can let everyone know exactly what and who are on the agenda..I find it pretty hard to believe that it is a g-up if Peter Johnson, Reptiles Australia and Slytherin names are associated with this symposium.

Maybe a lot of things haven't been finalised as such as it is a long way down the track, so they aren't really advertising until the know exactly what is going to happen and can let everyone know exactly what and who are on the agenda..I find it pretty hard to believe that it is a g-up if Peter Johnson, Reptiles Australia and Slytherin names are associated with this symposium.

exactly Fay. Im sure we will see advertisements in Reptile Australia in their August issue as stated in the original email.

I think thats its the first time Philippe de Vosjoli, Rico Walder, Craig Stewart, Greg Miles, David Northcott and Allen Repashy have all spoken at the one time at a herp conference anywhere in the world.

Events like this can only be good for the reptile industry here in Australia and why people choose to knock events like this beats me. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Not everybody who would like to attend will be able to afford to pay the registration fee. Some will take it as a fact of life, others, driven by jealousy and bitterness will rubbish the event. They are the type who would scratch the side of a Ferrari with their key if they saw one parked in a dark spot.

i can't wait for October 2010, i'm there and all the doom and gloomers and whingers about the price, can't persuade me otherwise.

Last edited:
Well, I've bitten the bullet and downloaded the application and sent it off along with the money. That's two of us that I know of. Who else?

AHS =Australian Herpetological Society?

Is it a symposium or a conference? The line up looks more like a conference style rather than discussive format.

Also and I do this as a leg pull is it actually a disguised piss up? Sounds like some strange happenings may be afoot in Cairns

Taken from Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Symposium originally referred to a drinking party (the Greek verb sympotein means "to drink together") but has since come to refer to any academic conference, or a style of university class characterized by an openly discursive format, rather than a lecture and question–answer format. The sympotic elegies of Theognis of Megara and two Socratic dialogues, Plato's Symposium and Xenophon's Symposium all describe symposia in the original sense.

The Greek symposium was a key Hellenic social institution. It was a forum for men to debate, plot, boast, or simply to party with others. They were also frequently held to celebrate the introduction of youths into aristocratic society, much like debutante balls today. Symposia were also held by aristocrats to celebrate other special occasions, such as victories in athletic and poetic contests.

Symposiast in typical singing pose, accompanied by a flutist playing the aulos. The text reads "The boy is beautiful." Fifth century red-figure kylix by the Colmar painter.Symposia were usually held in the men's quarters of the household. Singly or in pairs, the men would recline on couches arrayed against the three walls of the room away from the door. Free boys who participated did not recline but sat. Food was served, together with wine. The latter, usually mixed with water in varying proportions, was drawn from the krater, a large jar designed to be carried by two men, and served by nude servant boys from pitchers. Entertainment was provided, and depending on the occasion could include games, songs, flute-girls, slaves performing various acts, and hired entertainments. A symposium would be overseen by a symposiarch who would decide how strong or diluted the wine for the evening would be, depending on whether serious discussions or merely sensual indulgence were in the offing. Certain formalities were observed, most important among which were the libations by means of which the gods were propitiated.

In keeping with Greek notions of self-restraint and propriety, the symposiarch would prevent matters from getting out of hand. The playwright Euboulos, in a surviving fragment of a lost play has the god Dionysos describe proper and improper drinking:

For sensible men I prepare only three kraters: one for health (which they drink first), the second for love and pleasure, and the third for sleep. After the third one is drained, wise men go home. The fourth krater is not mine any more - it belongs to bad behaviour; the fifth is for shouting; the sixth is for rudeness and insults; the seventh is for fights; the eighth is for breaking the furniture; the ninth is for depression; the tenth is for madness and unconsciousness.

A game sometimes played at symposia was kottabos, in which drinkers swished the dregs of their wine in their kylikes (platter-like stemmed drinking vessels) and flung them at a target. Another feature of the symposia were skolia, drinking songs of a patriotic or bawdy nature, which were also performed in a competitive manner with one symposiast reciting the first part of a song and another expected to improvise the end of it.

What are called flute-girls today were actually prostitutes or courtesans who played the aulos, a Greek woodwind instrument most similar to an oboe, hired to play for and consort with the symposiasts while they drank and conversed. When string instruments were played, the barbiton was the traditional instrument.[2]

Symposiasts could also compete in rhetorical contests, for which reason the term symposium has come to refer to any event where multiple speeches are made.

As with many other Greek customs, the framework of the symposium was adopted by the Romans under the name of comissatio. These revels also involved the drinking of assigned quantities of wine, and the oversight of a master of the ceremonies appointed for the occasion from among the guests."

I'll be there and can't wait to meet some very well respected individuals, both speakers and attendees! Looking forward to some night herping too!

interesting spongebob.... so you think this shin-dig is a greek stlye of gathering.... then count me out, those shenanigans arent up my alley (pardon the euphamism).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back