Feeding cats to big snakes (the other side of the debate)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Matt

Well said Matt. You brought a bit of sense into the topic.

Scorps..............I am actually betting you have already done it but just wanted to gather a further opinion from fellow herpers which is fine by me.

If I lived on decent land and had the opportunity to knock down some cats/kittens and feed them to my snakes would I do it? Not sure but I would'nt advertise the fact as you really don't know who is who in these forums.

I don't really mind cats. we have an adopted one here at home but when I go shooting ferals up at my mums farm I will take out any Cat I see. I will look through the scope to try and identify whether or not it is a pet by seeing if it's got a collar but any Cat that is in the forrest or in open farmland miles away from houses is taken out - one shot and to tell you the truth it has never crossed my mind to feed them to my own collection.

Scorps if you want an accurate answer regarding the legalities of the euthanisation wild/unwanted cats you really need to speak to the governing bodies in your state. They will be able to advise you of what your rights are in regards to humane euthanisation and disposal of the bodies.

Most likely it will be via injection in a controlled environment by a vetinarian.

Regards, Ewan.

Best advice so far Ewan.
I work for a state gov department. Recently, we had a problem with feral cats in one of our depots. A local animal and pest controller (who is also accredited with NPWS, State Forest, many local councils and other goverment bodies to conduct animal culls) was called in, traps were set and the pest controller euthed the cats. The local council got wind of this and threatened our department with some hefty fines. Our legal beagles and enviro people got involved. A direction was handed down stating that under current legislation, only council and vets are legally allowed to euth the cats.
I don't know what regs/legislation this was directed from but well worth checking with the your local council first.

I don't have a problem with feeding cats (or any other animal for that matter) to a snake.

well would you consider unwanted puppies as well then?....because if your thinking is simply to be rid of unwanted animals then anything should be up for thought ...but if your just sticking with cats only then to me you have a deeper meaning of why you just want cats ....

Redbelly, I see your point... but I think we all know there is a big difference between the amount of damage caused by dogs and cats to native fauna...

Am I the only person who has ordered the mysterious "Chicken" Meow mein? Cats are hunted and eaten by aboriginals out in the dessert, and apparently are good eating. I would think cat meat would be a leaner source of protein then rodents or poultry. However I would not gas any animal over the size of an adult rat I think some method of cervical dislocation would be the best way to dispatch them quickly. ( I don't think claiming unwanted pets for snake feed is a good idea for the reptile keeping hobby however, that would not go down well with RSPCA, better to stick with feral animals)

Why were at it why dont we grab a few litters of puppies for food?
Dogs can be just as bigger pest as cats? i Have seen dogs kill more native wildlife then i have cats, so If were on a witchhunt for cats , lets get the dogs too!

Scorps if you want an accurate answer regarding the legalities of the euthanisation wild/unwanted cats you really need to speak to the governing bodies in your state. They will be able to advise you of what your rights are in regards to humane euthanisation and disposal of the bodies.

Most likely it will be via injection in a controlled environment by a vetinarian.

Regards, Ewan.

wouldnt that be ridiculously expensive?

i watched a program on ci channel recently that suggested animal shelters in the us poison excess animals with antifreeze, its a slow 24 hour agonizing death,....i really doubt the govt would pay fro proper euthenasia,...

The only legal 'humane' way to kill dogs and cats is an overdose of anasthetic,,and 'green dream'...
in Victoria anyway.
Our dog pounds here dont use gas chambers anymore.

Gas chambers havn't been used for these animals since last century as they are deemed cruel.

As you know, animals that have been killed by lethal injection can not be used for consumption.

Cheers

P.S.
My opinion is if you want to feed dogs and cats to your snakes,the death needs to be humane.
For me, massive brain trauma or caving their head in, is the quickest and most painless.
Ill stick with rodents and chickens thanks..and roadkill is good to.

wouldnt that be ridiculously expensive?

i watched a program on ci channel recently that suggested animal shelters in the us poison excess animals with antifreeze, its a slow 24 hour agonizing death,....i really doubt the govt would pay fro proper euthenasia,...

The government most definately would not pay for it. The onus would be on the person wishing to destroy the animal to pay any related costs for its euthanisation. Such is the case when you need to put down your own family pets due to illness. The cost to the RSPCA to euthanise unwanted animals is already unsustainable.

I was pointing out that IF someone had the rights to euthanise unwanted domestic or wild cats the costs involved doing it appropriately within the boundaries of the law would be most likely unsustainable.

Regards, Ewan.

I wouldn't have a problem whether they were feral cats, dogs, foxes, pigeons whatever.....(hmm I wonder how a large snake would feel about a carp haha), so long as it was euthanised humanely. Which brings me to a related question the science boffins could hopefully answer.

It was suggested earlier by a few members that the euthanisation (is that a real word?) would have to be carried out by some governing body or vet, & could likely be by lethal injection. Now, what are the implications of feeding an animal a food item that has been injected with such drugs? Are these toxins neutralised (or at least no longer a viable risk) when ingested rather than injected, thus rendering the snake immune to the effects of the drugs?

As you know, animals that have been killed by lethal injection can not be used for consumption.
Thanks snakeman, you answered my question as I was writing my post!

Last edited:
cats are great pets, but once it becomes a pest not a pet, it's fair game...
i'm sure big monitors would love kitty for breaky.

Cat Haven in Perth puts a lot of unwanted cats to sleep each week when they can not find homes for them. I would assume each state has a animal shelter like this also, It costs hundreds of dollars for these places to put animals to sleep. Perhaps if someone could come up with a humane way to put unwanted pets to sleep that also ment the animal could be used as reptile feed a deal could be reached to benifit everyone. I understand that animal shelter try to place animals in good homes, but there are always some that have to be put to sleep. Im sure if animal shelters could make a few dollars they may consider this option, It has to make sence to feed reptiles unwanted animals that have to be put to sleep and disposed of, than to breed animals to be put to sleep for reptile feed.

Cat Haven in Perth puts a lot of unwanted cats to sleep each week when they can not find homes for them. I would assume each state has a animal shelter like this also, It costs hundreds of dollars for these places to put animals to sleep. Perhaps if someone could come up with a humane way to put unwanted pets to sleep that also ment the animal could be used as reptile feed a deal could be reached to benifit everyone. I understand that animal shelter try to place animals in good homes, but there are always some that have to be put to sleep. Im sure if animal shelters could make a few dollars they may consider this option, It has to make sence to feed reptiles unwanted animals that have to be put to sleep and disposed of, than to breed animals to be put to sleep for reptile feed.

That’s what I was thinking
it seems that lately all we've been here is the growing population of cats and dog that are homeless maybe we have a solution here at the moment it makes allot of sense to do it and yes you will be criticized about it but we already do for feeding rats and mice to our snakes so what would a few more species to the list going to do

(Slogan)
You keep them or we feed them

The pound humainly kills unwanted cats and kittens all the time. Why not approach them and ask for a few to freeze.

What about the risk of disease communication? Domestic cats are prone to many different types of parasitic and viral infections. The risks of these infections on our snakes is unknown. For my mind there is enough choice of feed already for any sized snake and the herp-culture has been getting along fine without using a diet of cats. We do not need to risk the health of our animals for the sake of a free feed.

If you feel you need to do the planet a favour buy culling down the unwanted or feral cat populations by all means go and humanely dispose of a few cats but do something else with the bodies.
Hit the nail on the head mate, if anyone watched the vid on page 2 I posted they would actually see an EXPERIENCED keeper talking on the subject, to many parasites and nasties to go feeding em to our beloved snakies and these diseases are that bad even the old deep freeze for 30 days wont kill them....

The pound humainly kills unwanted cats and kittens all the time. Why not approach them and ask for a few to freeze.

RSPCA might put down unwanted animals but there is no way in hell that they would give or sell these animals (dead or alive) to people to feed to snakes..

Can you imagine the public outcry (justified or not) and the media hysteria if the RSPCA was caught doing this?

Apart from the bad publicity that snake keepers would get in the media.. as if were not outcasts enough without the public really turning against us.. whether its justified or not it doesn't matter.. the mud would stick.. and all it would do is make keeping reptiles more difficult and be a step backward for the hobby in my opinion.. and I dont like cats at all.. in fact I hate the damn things..

I think the idea of feeding cats to snakes is ridiculous and not the way to win public support for our hobby.. It something an imature teenager would do.. no offence to anyone in this thread but thats my view on this subject.. cheers.

I would have to agrree with colin.
I never thought of that aspect of it and since he has brought it up I have to agree wholeheartedly.

Its perfectly fine to use cats as food, just make sure it isnt anyones pet. As mentioned it does give a bad image for the hobby so its not something to show off or boast about to the general public. Using unwanted kittens is a good thing to do, but as i have said before give you should herps cute girly names so when you say your getting the kittens for them it doesnt sound sus. There is absolutely no reason why using kittens is worse than using rats and a few reasons its better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back