Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
take it from me. My olive is still on birds won't have a bar of rats or mice. DON'T DO IT!

So im not the only one lol, i had to blood a quail and cover a rat in its blood for mine to finally get onto rats, took 6 months :shock:

Childreni -18months- on Quail!

Childreni I bred on Quail -rats -mice -they like them!
Very healthy on a mixed diet-easy!
taking Quail -1 day olds.
Just mix feeds from start and feed mice -rat -(pinkies) and day old quail ,no problems
-but don't feed only Quail as you can have some problems.

Attachments

• P6200088.JPG
    P6200088.JPG
    106.5 KB · Views: 42
  • P6200090.JPG
    P6200090.JPG
    100.8 KB · Views: 41
  • P6200092.JPG
    P6200092.JPG
    110.4 KB · Views: 40
  • P6200094.JPG
    P6200094.JPG
    104.8 KB · Views: 39
  • P6200093.JPG
    P6200093.JPG
    102.9 KB · Views: 48
as brent said there is nothing wrong with a mixture. yes there is a problem if your snake will take only quail (i have a coastal that will take only mice, nothing else) but my bredli and 18 month coastal will takes rats/quail/mice/my fingers whatever is on offer.
do you think if a snake came across a quail in the wild it would go 'oh no, its not a rat, i can't eat that!' lol.

quail

Adult Jungles -Adult Childreni-18 month Jungles - pics.

Attachments

• P6190068.JPG
    P6190068.JPG
    121.7 KB · Views: 42
  • P6190070.JPG
    P6190070.JPG
    122.5 KB · Views: 46
  • P6190072.JPG
    P6190072.JPG
    117.1 KB · Views: 44
  • P3210071.jpg
    P3210071.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 43
  • P3210078.jpg
    P3210078.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 46
What a surprise, you sell them!!! No stats, IMO, with a big underline, my snakes put on alot more size feeding on rats then quails, they are vey expensive compared to rats in Sydney, IMO snakes are hard to wean off them when you start feeding them on Quail IMO!!!!!!!!!

mate where do you buy your quails in sydney there half the price of rats !!!
and no i dont sell them!!!!!
my snakes get there diet mixed rats/mice and quails and if one starts to refuse the rats and mice u just dont feed it quail again they will eat a rat when they get hungry enough

mate where do you buy your quails in sydney there half the price of rats !!!
and no i dont sell them!!!!!
my snakes get there diet mixed rats/mice and quails and if one starts to refuse the rats and mice u just dont feed it quail again they will eat a rat when they get hungry enough

I understand what you are saying, but mine did not eat for five months as a hatchling, so i tried everything. I am not saying they are not a good food staple, but In my experience, and obviously others, SOME snakes prefer them more them rats and mice, as did mine. When i had to buy them, only place in NW Sydney that sold them was Kellyville pets. Thanks for your comment though, appreciated ;)

My snakes get a mixed diet of rats, quail, and chicken. I was a bit worried about my Atherton girl cause it took ages to get her off mice and onto rats But she has no trouble now switchin from one to the other but i think if she would turn her nose up at rats again i would just hold off on the birds till she was eating fine again. I defanitely think a mixed diet is the go.
Just my opinion though and think you should just go with what works for you.

I understand what you are saying, but mine did not eat for five months as a hatchling, so i tried everything. I am not saying they are not a good food staple, but In my experience, and obviously others, SOME snakes prefer them more them rats and mice, as did mine. When i had to buy them, only place in NW Sydney that sold them was Kellyville pets. Thanks for your comment though, appreciated ;)

Kellyville Pets is a rip-off. You should have gone to a quail farm.

Quail are ridiculously cheap. I travel to Sydney to buy hundreds at a time, and all my pythons and lace monitors are fed them. 6 week old quail are the size of a jumbo rat, with far less body fat. All my snakes (of various ages) have made the switch to quail, and then back to rodents, without any problems at all.

Jap -Quail pics -showing sizes-age

Sizes and Age of quail I feed to my pythons.

Attachments

• P6210008.JPG
    P6210008.JPG
    95 KB · Views: 78
  • P6210009.JPG
    P6210009.JPG
    110.3 KB · Views: 77
The comment that quail is more expensive than rodents is utter rubbish, I buy large numbers of quails direct from a quail farm in Sydney - as Serpenttongue stated a 6wk old Quail is equivalent size to a Jumbo rat - the price was just raised on them, I believe they now cost $3 each - find me a Jumbo rat at that price!

Also, I would NEVER feed any of my snakes a rat over about medium size as they have VERY high fat content, the equivalent sized quail is still a baby, far less fat...

All of my snakes eat a combination of both Quails and Rodents with no problems, I have yet to have a problem with any getting stuck on Quail. I have not noticed any difference in growth rate between the two food items.

I breed my own rats as I find them overpriced, I gladly buy quail.

You can get quail in Sydney from Jason on this site. He clips the beak tips, cuts off the feet and bags them in whatever size lots you prefer. My male Darwin doesn't really like them, but the rest are very happy to eat quail, rats and chicken necks. I, too, like to mix it up a bit so that my snakes are willing to take a variety of foods in case something is in short supply.

Can anyone recommend a quail farm in south-west Sydney (Camden, Campbelltown, Liverpool, Horsley Park area) or between Canberra and Sydney, please? I'm now pretty much convinced about the idea of varying my new Stimson's diet among mice, rats and quail when he's a bit bigger. At this stage (6 month old and 28 cm long), he's only up for pinky mice and even they make a reasonable bulge in his abdomen.

feeding quail to a snake

All I would like to say to you guys is to make sure you are feeding good quality quail as for all birds carry all soughts of stuff. I only breed quail for the herps so I go a few extra steps to try to keep them disease free. So make sure you know what your feeding.
Also to date a snake in the wild doesn't remove any part of the bird before it eats it the idea is to make the snake do the work using its jaw. Quail are better in protein and less in fat to keep your snake in a healthier condition for the hibernation/breeding period.

quick question say if i bred my own i no jap quails dont incubate there eggs but do they had least put them in a nest or they just layed any where and eva where

quick question say if i bred my own i no jap quails dont incubate there eggs but do they had least put them in a nest or they just layed any where and eva where

They lay thier eggs where ever they stand, they dont have a maternal bone in thier bodys

adult childreni -quail feed

My female childreni are conditioned on Quail!
Adult Quail pic-Quail are higher in protein than rats so Childreni breeders are conditioned well on Quail as well as Rats .

Attachments

• P3210072.jpg
    P3210072.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 31
  • P3210074.jpg
    P3210074.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 32
  • P6260004.JPG
    P6260004.JPG
    101.3 KB · Views: 33
Can anyone recommend a quail farm in south-west Sydney (Camden, Campbelltown, Liverpool, Horsley Park area) or between Canberra and Sydney, please? I'm now pretty much convinced about the idea of varying my new Stimson's diet among mice, rats and quail when he's a bit bigger. At this stage (6 month old and 28 cm long), he's only up for pinky mice and even they make a reasonable bulge in his abdomen.

Derek - Sorry mate, I am from the Macarthur area and travel to Leppington to get mine - would be a fair hike if you're travelling from Canberra.

I know a lot of guys who buy in very large quantities to justify the trip - but like any frozen feed items I wouldnt buy more than a 6mth (max.) supply.

Summerland - You make a good point, I buy from a professional breeder that supplies to restaurants and the like so have every confidence in his birds.

Our resident python used to get into our Japanese Quail's run and catch then eat them - until we gave up on quails then she decided to eat the orphaned magpie :(

Then I removed another one from the bird cage and put it down the back after it had eaten a quarrion - not its first either :(

Then we had another python on top of the horse feed shed eating a Grey-Crowned Babbler :(

I haven't got photos eating the quails or magpie but below are after the babbler and the quarrion :shock:

Also included a photo of a Grey-Crowned Babbler

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back