Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ziamund

Reaction score
Hi
I was told that you can teach snakes tricks. When i asked the provider of my snake he said this is not true.So i was wondering, can you actually teach a snake tricks
Thank you

Mine fetch the paper
Mine do other stuff with the paper ;)
As far as learning tricks ...they can I suppose learn some basic Behavioural habits....
but learning to juggle or fetch your slippers well I would like to see that :lol::lol:

No Ziamund you can't.
You may be able to condition them to some types of behaviours but that is it.
For example....when I pull my slytherin drawer out about three inches they usually are waiting for a feed and will strike if I out my hand in, but if I pull the drawer all the way out for cleaning they know that there is no ffeed and won't strike..if you understand what I am saying.

I'm sure you could teach basic tricks, something within its range. Hell I taught a Beta fish to jump out of water for its food, Tiger Barbs (fish) to follow my hand, my sister taught her cats to sit and a few other things. I'm sure with patience you could teach it do something it does naturally on command. (open it's mouth, move a certain way etc.) But it would take a while and you would need a reward the snake wants (food or other) I imagine with a snake once you've put in the effort it will come down to more of a 'he doesn't want to do the trick' over 'he doesn't understand what I want him to do'.
If you're really keen do some research on animal training/conditioning. Zoos often teach many strange animals tricks. (A tiger may open it's mouth or hold it's paw up to the side of the cage on command for example)

But yeah your snake's not gonna fetch the paper or anything. :)

mine all are really good at stay i tought them to stay they just sit there some times all day

Similar to what Garthnfay said. My bredli is kept in a plastic tub on top of a chest of drawers. She knows if she gets moved off the shelf to somewhere else and her lid is completely removed she doesn't strike (even if she is due for a feed) but if I leave her tub where it belongs and just slightly lift the lid, she's ready to strike cos thats how I feed her. So basically, because I ONLY get her out if I move the tub first and I ONLY feed her without it being moved, she has become used to the consistancy. I didn't plan it that way but now I am aware of it I will stick with the routine she knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back