Can anyone help me please...is this a skink?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nicola

Reaction score
Hi,can anyone tell me if this is a skink,i brought it 2 days ago and the reptile shop owner said it was a plated lizard but it looks like a major skink to me,it is very aggressive too.

Kind Regards

Attachments

• Skinkface.jpg
    Skinkface.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 162
  • Skinkbody.jpg
    Skinkbody.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 190
There's a couple of skinks that look like that, I doubt it's a major skink, they're generally darker and not so mottled. Looks a bit like a King Skink, another Egernia sp, they can be pretty cranky. What did you put it down as on your licence?

Hang on i am obviously missing something here, if you purchased it from a pet shop, or purchased it in general, wouldnt you therefore require a license and transfer papers, thus the species name should be on those papers.

All we had to do at the petshop was sign a form for the RSPCA that had the species as Plated lizard, which I was sceptical of, hence the detective work currently underway to find out what it is.

Perhaps in the UK we dont have licences. Ive bought a snake from a different pet shop and we didnt even sign the RSPCA thing just handed over the money and got a receipt.

Anyway thanks for your help..it looks very similar to a Major skink from what i can tell, but now i'm of to check what the King skink looks like. many thanks.

Looks like a Schneiders Skink, an African species.

Looks like an Irian Jayan Bellatoris (Egernia) frerei, Major Skink.

Cheers,
Scott

Well that would explain it... it's head screamed Egernia but the colouration had me scratching my head. Thats one Ball Tearing Major!. Here's a crappy pic of an wild Australian (North Queensland) E. frerei I found last Jan... looks nothing like your one colour wise.

Attachments

• x.jpg
    x.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 96
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back